Off Topic Q's

I need some help/advice or pointer(s) regarding my Towmotor Lift Truck and I know a lot of you guys have a lot more heavy equipment knowledge than I...

Forklift is OLD, probably 50's or early 60's (Cat bought Towmotor in '64 I think) and the hydraulic system has been running on SAE 10 oil for as long as I've had it, 20 years or so. Oil doesn't even show on the dip stick anymore, doesn't lift a ton of pellets more than 4' high anymore snd I can't find SAE 10 anywhere near me (25 mi W. of Wacked Out Portland, OR). My Q's:

Anybody know a reliable way to source the stuff? Been to all the auto & farm supply stores, internet prices are outrageous & shipping 5 gals almost doubles the price.

Can I mix the 10W w/ a newer viscocity like 0w20 or 5w20. I'm not too worried about damaging the hydraulics further, in needs rebuilding anyway, I'm just trying to get buy for now.

What happens if I put a 2 or 3 gals or cheap-o 'tractor fuid' in w/ the 10w?

Any other ideas?

Thnx gents,

Bert

Nope, it doesn't even want to start under 50 degrees...

Like your truck...

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I need some help/advice or pointer(s) regarding my Towmotor Lift Truck and I know a lot of you guys have a lot more heavy equipment knowledge than I...

Forklift is OLD, probably 50's or early 60's (Cat bought Towmotor in '64 I think) and the hydraulic system has been running on SAE 10 oil for as long as I've had it, 20 years or so. Oil doesn't even show on the dip stick anymore, doesn't lift a ton of pellets more than 4' high anymore snd I can't find SAE 10 anywhere near me (25 mi W. of Wacked Out Portland, OR). My Q's:

Anybody know a reliable way to source the stuff? Been to all the auto & farm supply stores, internet prices are outrageous & shipping 5 gals almost doubles the price.

Can I mix the 10W w/ a newer viscocity like 0w20 or 5w20. I'm not too worried about damaging the hydraulics further, in needs rebuilding anyway, I'm just trying to get buy for now.

What happens if I put a 2 or 3 gals or cheap-o 'tractor fuid' in w/ the 10w?

Any other ideas?

Thnx gents,

Bert

Bert, if it were mine I would go to Napa or Tractor Supply and pick up tractor hyd fluid and dump it in.  I don't think your gear pump and spool valve will care.  Your decision 

Dennis

• Like 1

Drain it out and you could likely use about anything. I have a skid steer that uses 10W-30 in the hydraulics. A skid steer that uses 15W-40 in the hydraulics. Lots of things that I have Deere Hy-Gard in. I was also unable to find 10W in my area. In that application I substituted Hy-Gard. 

Engine oil has changed a lot since the 1950s, the chemical makeup and additives of engine oil these days doesn't make it a very good hydraulic oil. This became even more apparent with HUEI engines like the 7.3 Power Stroke, DT466E, and CAT C7 came along, since the engine oil was used as a lubricant and a hydraulic oil within the engine. Not saying engine oil can't be used as hydraulic oil, but there is better options these days.

Anyway... The "Universal Tractor Hydraulic Oil" or Hy-Tran, Hy-Guard, and the like are generally 10w oil and designed to be pressurized and used as a hydraulic oil. These specific hydraulic oils didn't exist back then so engine oils were commonly used as a hydraulic oil. Various single weight oils were common back then because people changed engine oil weight seasonally.  Plus with the simplicity of a 1950s forklift it probably doesn't care much(assuming the hydraulic oil isn't shared with the transmission oil).

My opinion(for what its worth) is if it was mine I would drain the hydraulics and refill with your favorite flavor of Universal Tractor Hydraulic Oil, Hy-Tran, Viscosity Ultraction, Hy-Guard, etc. I'd stay away from multi weight oils because the additives and paraffins used to make it multi weight can chemically react over time to things in such an old system and cause issues, such as deteriorate old hydraulic hoses from the inside out.  

Again, this is my educated opinion. I'm sure there are others who will disagree. It's your machine you do what you see fit.

• Like 2

Thank you gentlemen,

I'll drain the system and go w/ the tractor hydraulic fluid. Have JD dealer not too distant...

Thnx again,

Bert

On 2/3/2024 at 9:54 AM, Bert said:

Thank you gentlemen,

I'll drain the system and go w/ the tractor hydraulic fluid. Have JD dealer not too distant...

Thnx again,

Bert

it does not have to be hytran oil like ihc uses in their transmissions, or john deere hyguard. you only need a cheap hydraulic oil , in a 32 or 68 viscosity depending on your weather. be saving money that way also.

• Like 1