Out west guys, quick easy question

stronger800

Giant tiddly wink board! That's what they remind me of.

Yeah, center pivot.

Looks like solar farm in second picture.

• Like 2

Yes the "circles" are center pivot irrigation systems. The pic below is the farm l was raised on in west Texas. Our house and sheds are at the lower center of the pic. The odd "egg" shape in the upper part of the pic is a Playa lake.  Years later, l went to work for the electric co-op that served that area. The crew that l worked with was the ones that installed service to those same pivots.

image.jpeg.b2e53e5fc929dd6f0d20f27d2508090f.jpeg

• Like 2

Pretty sure the strips are rotation farming. Either winter wheat, summer fallow. Winter wheat, Milo, summer fallow or a combination of that. 
Way too big for solar farms. And they rarely exist out here. 

Don't know about strip farming but I do know center pivot irriigation has turned thousands of acres of beautiful productive grassland into marginal farmland. 

From the Book "Notes From a Crusty Old Rancher"................if there was such a book😄🤠

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Don't know about strip farming but I do know center pivot irriigation has turned thousands of acres of beautiful productive grassland into marginal farmland. 

From the Book "Notes From a Crusty Old Rancher"................if there was such a book😄🤠

😉

9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Neat. What are the chances of that.  
Looks like those round fields are a lot bigger than I thought. 
acre or diameter estimate?

Most are a half mile square, but but there are some up to a mile square. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:27 PM, stronger800 said:

Neat. What are the chances of that.  
Looks like those round fields are a lot bigger than I thought. 
acre or diameter estimate?

Pivots in E WA like I am familiar with, can be 1 tower or many.  Most are 700' apx and with a big sprinkler shooting off the end cover near 140 acres.  A square quarter secrion of 160 acres with the corners scabland.  Inland WA is 8 to 12" so nothing will grow productively on the corners.  With land prices rising guys will put a 1 tower pivot from the 90* on each corner and get 99% of the 160.  But need the water and the Right to it.

In open country of the plains the fella have "milers" which are on square mile pieces, 4 full sections irrigated with 1 device.  

Look up YouTube Smartereveryday irrigation pivots.  He does a really good explanation on how they work.  Its alot more than just squirting some water

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

How fast do the pivots rotate?

Watch smarter every day on YouTube how pivots work

Great explaining 

Speed....all depends on gpm and weather.  Wheres @lorenzo?  Hes a pivot guy

In the next 4 months I miiight be if God keeps all our plans moving forward😉

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

In the next 4 months I miiight be of God keeps all our plans moving forward😉

You won't know how to act, being able to control the precipitation instead of dealing with what mother nature has to offer

• Like 2

The one thing missing anymore are tree strips or shelter belts?

Taxes have got so high that farmers are dozing out the trees to plant on.

This is getting a bit scary as history tends to repeat itself.

The Dirty 30's, Dusty Bowl, not matter what you call it, would kill a lot of people today.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

This is getting a bit scary as history tends to repeat itself.

The Dirty 30's, Dusty Bowl, not matter what you call it, would kill a lot of people today.

It was humbling the past couple summers how much the smoke and dirt blowing in from burnt areas out west affected the Midwest.   I know the darkened skies took heat units away from our crops.  Night came sooner.  People with sensitive allergies and breathing issues suffered.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KWRB said:

How fast do the pivots rotate?

You can set them by how much water you want to apply. Example one inch, one and a half inch ect…. It also depends on if you have a low pressure system or a high pressure system, corner catchers and don’t forget they don’t all rotate in a full circle. My cousins even have one that rotates just over 3/4 rotation then it all stops except for three towers on the outer end that bend around a corner swing back in line then reverses back to the other side of the field. AKA Bender. 

Another consideration when setting for heavy coverage that means your pivot will be traveling very slow for several days. If there is a mechanical failure of some sort and your broke down for a day or two now you cant catch up because the  corn that was getting water in the beginning of the cycle is burning up.   We watch them very close. Prior to contrary believe they are not maintenance free. We also have several spare parts for literally any scenario that may arise. 

Another thing you may wonder is how are the Individual towers timed. They only move one at a time. There is a switch on each  knuckle that responds to the flex between towers. When the switch is satisfied the next one moves .

Each tower also has different size nozzles because the outer most tower is moving so much farther it has larger nozzles .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Area  south of Garden City , Kansas must have the most center pivots  of any place in the country. 

Capture Garden City KS.JPG

And how many didn’t get run last summer? Between the hail that wiped out the crops and the drought, there were a bunch that didn’t move all summer. Some got run this winter because if they didn’t use their alotted water they lose their rights. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:30 PM, 7and8and1456 said:

Area  south of Garden City , Kansas must have the most center pivots  of any place in the country. 

Capture Garden City KS.JPG

NE is the most acres under sprinklers in the USA

On 2/2/2024 at 10:09 PM, Lazy WP said:

And how many didn’t get run last summer? Between the hail that wiped out the crops and the drought, there were a bunch that didn’t move all summer. Some got run this winter because if they didn’t use their alotted water they lose their rights. 

I was going to ask where all this water comes from but didn't want to sound like a fool.  Is this coming from the aquifer that isn't recharging quick enough?  100% pro ag but if this is the case with things like this many pivots it is no wonder why...

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

I was going to ask where all this water comes from but didn't want to sound like a fool.  Is this coming from the aquifer that isn't recharging quick enough?  100% pro ag but if this is the case with things like this many pivots it is no wonder why...

Ogallala aquifer

Too much info for me to post

But if you are interested there is a lot online. 

I sit pretty close to the heart of it 

300px-Ogallala_saturated_thickness_1997-sattk97-v2.svg.png

• Like 1