What’s your recipe?

Sledgehammer

3 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

shoulda got an EV unit. Wouldn’t have this problem.

he could take it to work and charge it 😂

https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gb-series/gb2000

IMG_3985.png

20 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Beats me. I don’t work for Pepsi.

PepsiCo's internal research already had "1,000 different product concepts", but its consumer research demanded a healthier variety of cola, which was the number one soft-drink segment[6]at 60% and yet slowing.[5] Food technologists knew that food color strongly affects flavor perceptions, associating light flavors with light colors. Pepsi's traditional caramel coloring, which adds body and flavor, was replaced with modified food starch for body with a clear look.[6] PepsiCo devised 3,000 formulations of a new clear drink, under consumer testing.[4] A 12-ounce (340 g) serving of Crystal Pepsi has 134 calories compared to Pepsi's 154 calories—20 fewer.[7] In November 1991, Pepsi-Cola publicly confirmed that it was working on a colorless version of Pepsi.[8]

Local guy that works on a lot of old John Deeres has a hydraulic hose with a fitting on one end that will screw into the spark plug hole and uses another  tractor to pressure the piston.  I don't know what he soaks with prior to doing this, but it sounds like he has pretty good success.

• Like 1

There's no one solution that works 100% of the time. Frankly any one of them is just as good as any other.

Pick one and try it. It'll work or it won't.

If the engine doesn't come free it does not mean you chose the wrong one. It means it wasn't going to come free.

The only one I call BS on is ATF and acetone. They DO NOT MIX. You can shake them all you want, and the moment you stop shaking they instantly separate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Boy! If I had more friends like you people, I wouldn’t need enemies! 

Gee thanks And here I thought I was a in between. LOL

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

How did they make it clear? 

ask jimmy arthur ordge.  herschle's hemi half ton with a hootch tank on the back.  u tube it.

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Oh, I've read about it plenty, so we gave it a try, and I suggest you give it a try too. See for yourself. It's literally oil and water.

I have been trying it........for about the last 25 years. That's why I suggested it on page one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I have been trying it........for about the last 25 years. That's why I suggested it on page one. 

How do you get it to mix? Every time I've tried it no matter how quick I am pouring after shaking, all that comes out is acetone.

I bought a stuck JD B for parts. For kicks I pulled the plugs and soaked it with a mix of every penetrate oil I had on the shelf. After a week or so I pulled the flywheel cover and gave it a pry on the teeth and it moved! So I rocked it back and forth until it made it around, put another magneto on it, spent some hours cleaning the carburetor and it ran beautifully! I found out later from a guy who previously owned it that it was a low time overhaul before it was allowed to sit with the exhaust uncovered for years. Wheels set narrow with a hand clutch I used it between the rows with a kid operating it. Painted it up and used it pulling a wagon for rides. Every now and then I still see it at a local tractor show.

I've been told that adapting a grease fitting to a spark plug air hold fitting is a good way to force a stuck piston to move. A grease gun can develop quite a bit of pressure so a couple of tubes and a battery gun and let it go. If it does move the piston top won't be all beat up by hammering on it and may be usable.

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

How do you get it to mix? Every time I've tried it no matter how quick I am pouring after shaking, all that comes out is acetone.

Matt, I agree that it looks like it separates, but not completely, it did work. I used, I think, Mag1 dextron II ATF and acetone. It was not synthetic ATF and had bubbles of acetone in it, but not all of it. I shook it well and squirted it in the spark plug holes and let it soak. This M was drug around behind a tractor to see if it would break loose, which it didn't. I know that was too harsh and should have broke rings, but it was bought with a stuck engine and I figured I would try to free it up while planning on doing an overhaul. When dragging it did not work, I thought we had nothing to lose, so put acetone/ATF in it and let it soak. I was told acetone soaks into about anything, especially your skin, and the ATF will follow it in. With the engine free, I thought we would try to fire it up to see if it would run, much to my surprise, it ran, and it ran well. It did smoke some at first, but cleared up and does not use oil.

I found this explanation on the internet, could be BS, but sounds plausible being I am not a chemical engineer. "The ATF/Acetone mix was a "home brewed" mix of 50/50 ATF and acetone which proved to be better than any of the commercial brands of penetrant on removing a nut rusted onto a bolt. No matter which penetrant is used they all require a period of time to wick down into the threads, but because acetone has an extremely low dynamic viscosity, it's thin, it gets into the threads quicker than the other products with the ATF following shortly behind for lubrication."

It was cheap, I already had it in the shop, and I had nothing to lose figuring I would have to overhaul it anyway. Very surprised and happy that it did work.

• Like 2

I had 2 different engines that I freed up with acetone and ATF.  I mixed it 50/50 into an oil can. Would squirt it in each hole until it ran out.  Then I lightly placed the spark plugs in.  Within a few days, 3 of the pistons were empty where it had ran down past the rings.  I continued until the offending cylinder until it began to drain as well.  Put a bar on the flywheel and it came free.

The second engine was assembled with new parts and never started.  Did the same treatment as the other engine, except I could put a hand crank on this one.  Hung a couple 100 pound suitcase weights on the crank.   One day I came into the shed and the weights were on the floor!   Engine loose....

• Like 1

We have a 400 diesel. Used it somewhat regularly. Went to use it and could not get it started on gas, so just used another tractor. Well you know how it goes, I'll get to it. Well it stood for a couple years. It was in the shed, went to get it going and while pulling it to the shop I let the clutch out in 5th. It just drug the wheels. It was stuck! Messed with it and decided there was no way it was coming loose. Back in the shed. Couple more years pass by and the boys said we should work on it. So in the fall we went to the shed and screwed out all the sparkplugs. We poured our recipe of half Hy Tran half diesel fuel into the holes until level full. We then put the plugs back in and left it alone until the next summer. We decide to see if our trick had any effect at all. Went to the shed to get it out and the boys just rocked the wheels while I watched. I said it moved! Hook the chain on and drag it outside, let the clutch out and sure enough free as a bird. Went to the shop poured a gallon of diesel in the tank and around the yard again. After getting the ole girl warmed up a bit and enough speed it fired, and then ran! I would not have bet 25 cents on it. Ran a little rough, but it was running. We then gave her the needed love after standing all that time. She runs like a top and we never took anything apart. So after my long story, the half Hy Tran half diesel fuel mix is our go to for sure. By the way this was the old original IH Hy Tran.

• Like 3