What’s your recipe?

Sledgehammer

Everyone seems to have a recipe that works for them. What’s your concoction to free an old stuck engine? I’ve heard about diesel, kerosene, marvel mystery oil, ATF, etc… All of the above in just about any ratio plus penetrating oils. What is yours?

I'll be watching this closely. Have had several Alley Cats with stuck engines, have yet to get one unstuck! There is a 125 hanging on a stand in the garage about 10 feet from me now. I managed to get it to move 40 or 50 degrees, that's as close as I've gotten. Would like to get it apart, fixed, back together, and in CA-1. Had project interupus with that when the 756 arrived! The engine in that tractor runs great but the rear main is leaking pretty bad.

• Sledgehammer changed the title to What’s your recipe?

Disassemble engine. Knock sleeve and pistons out. Split sleeve with a wiz wheel and cold chisel. New sleeves and probably pistons and good to go. Of course most of my “stuck” engines are far beyond saving the sleeves and pistons. 
Note: my chisel looks a lot like a screwdriver in this pic.989400E2-3D21-4875-A439-6BD905436B11.thumb.jpeg.d29158b7c3a1192724fb5bbe2a6434a2.jpeg5029EE8F-217B-4CA8-BA0F-0492589BEAA1.thumb.jpeg.26ed9db2eee37f848c3c3b1ef5e60ec9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

ATF and diesel mixed let soak and rock sngine back and forth using flywheel till you get it turning over by hand. Then oil cyl. with little oil and spin over.

Most times a stuck engine will need to be pulled apart and cleaned.  In all but the most mild cases of stuck, there will be so much rust and crap in the cylinder that if by some means the piston and rings got loose, the cylinders would promptly be destroyed if the engine were run with out disassembly and cleaning. If an engine doesn’t come loose by some rocking back and forth in high gear, I waste no further time and just tear it apart. Soaking in your favorite penetrant will help, but in the end it will most likely take a serious impact to break things loose. I ran into a really stubborn stuck piston once and resorted to turning a chunk of hardwood firewood in a lathe to just fit the cylinder bore, screwed plywood on the top end to keep the solid wood from splitting, and went after it with sledge hammer. Piston came out, and it, the rings, and the cylinder were cleaned up and reused. 

• Like 5

KOO used to swear by carb cleaner, said it never didnt work

Knew another guy that took used motor oil and poured it down the exhaust stacks on a TD24, after a year it freed up and was a runner

• Like 1

ATF and Acetone mixed 50/50. Pour down the cylinders and let it soak. We did this on an M Farmall, put it in fifth gear and rock the tire every day. On the fifth day, I saw the fan blade move, rocked it some more and then used the hand crank to make it turn over several times. Then with the plugs still out, used the starter to crank it many revolutions. Cleaned the carb and new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, and condensor, fired it up and it runs fine. I was surprised, I really did not think it would work.

• Like 3

Many years ago when my uncle passed away, my father was helping my aunt get things ready for an estate sale. My uncle didn’t get rid of much. He had 4-5 old trucks, 1&1/2 tons and a pickup. I think 3 were stuck. Dad is not a good mechanic and at the time I was worse, but we got all but one running. Dumped wd40 and marvel mystery oil and let ‘em soak for a week or two. Rock em every few days and they came free pretty easy other than the one. I bought two of them and haven’t touch them since except dumped some regular 30w in them and last I checked they were both still free. I got yelled at by my parents when I bought them and get told to take them to the scrap yard every couple years but one of these days I might just get them fixed up. 49 f-6 and 47 k-7. Just not enough time and money. 

• Like 2

we pulled a 1600 Oliver out of the bush, dragged it home into the shop

number 2 was stuck because of the exhaust valve was open for 10+ years

pulled the head and soaked number 2 cylinder down over night

next day figured out witch way the crank was positioned for the downward turn

next put a break bar on the harmonic balancer bolt with a 10' piece of pipe

the pipe was used as a indicator to see if there was any movement

got on top of it with a 2# sledge and a oak block of timber to wack on

it took a couple of days to get it freed up,, finally it let go

no scoring on the cylinder wall so we cleaned it up re assembled the motor

and started it up,, ran it for an hour ,,did a pressure test and the cylinder was about 10# lower than the other 5

still running great to this day

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Flyer said:

Coca Cola

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Tried that, didn’t work. 

You are supposed to drink it, gives you energy to keep working on freeing it up, that isn’t clear in the directions. 

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

You are supposed to drink it, gives you energy to keep working on freeing it up, that isn’t clear in the directions. 

What if it was crystal clear Pepsi?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

What if it was crystal clear Pepsi?

Left in the back of the truck? I have seen it fade.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Left in the back of the truck? I have seen it fade.

They actually made it at one time. 

638A4E9C-446B-4A49-B7B6-9DE80645E37A.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

They actually made it at one time. 

638A4E9C-446B-4A49-B7B6-9DE80645E37A.jpeg

I wasn’t allowed to drink Pepsi growing up, we were a Coke family, personally i don’t like either. What does it taste like? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

I wasn’t allowed to drink Pepsi growing up, we were a Coke family, personally i don’t like either. What does it taste like? 

Pepsi…..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

How did they make it clear? 

Beats me. I don’t work for Pepsi.

I remember when it came out in the early 90’s and Mom getting a bottle so we could all try it.