Farmhand loader brochures....

John K

Here's a newspaper sent out by the Superior Separator Company, the builders of the granddaddy to the F10. After the loader business took off Farmhand became it's own division of the company.

IMG_E15951.thumb.JPG.04db7e43c99c2fb71d7544015efa0ecb.JPG

IMG_E15971.thumb.JPG.602b2457d429833d05446926a8ffd86c.JPGIMG_E15981.thumb.JPG.611a3fcc0fbc4bcf2e590db57105ac7d.JPG

IMG_E15991.thumb.JPG.59aa3b9b81caad1146873adf3574af97.JPG

• Like 6

Dad had something like that mounted on a WC Allis, I think. Don’t remember much about it other then he only used it to stack hay, and it was pretty light in the back end. Would hate to see guess how many times it was layed on its side, sorta. The wide frame would stop it from going all the way over. 

After looking through that first brochure. We have owned every model of farmhand equipment but the ranch hand and f25. Dad had a farmhand 4 wheel manure spreader, f10 farmhand, f11, the 225 on the ih tractor , the hay grinder we had a f800. We worked on a lot of f25 and farmhand feed grinders. Even have a couple 235 loaders.

Wonder how many IH dealers in SD were Farmhand dealers back in the day? Just about every one I can think of was one.

Also....didn't Farmhand make IH's 725/750 hay grinders that IH offered for a few years in the late 1970s?

I see you even get an AC and heater on the Farmhand Ranchhand. You would have been in style with that rig.

1 minute ago, SDman said:

Wonder how many IH dealers in SD were Farmhand dealers back in the day? Just about every one I can think of was one.

Also....didn't Farmhand make IH's 725/750 hay grinders that IH offered for a few years in the late 1970s?

I see you even get an AC and heater on the Farmhand Ranchhand. You would have been in style with that rig.

A commercial hay grinder had 2 ranchhands he got 1 new and 1 used. They did a pretty good job and they wore them plum out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SDman said:

Most here in North Dakota were also. Or dual dealers. 

• Like 1

Thinking of Farmhand....we were a dealer for them right up until the end....late 1990s/early 2000s before they disappeared in the AGCO scheme of things. 

We sold a pile of XL1140 loaders for Magnums/IH 50 series, also a pile of 940XLs on Belarus's, also some 1340s on the New Holland Genesis tractors. By that time, Farmhand was living on their past.....those loaders were only a mere shadow of the F10s from the generation before.

Still, it never ceased to amaze me how so many customers were extremely loyal to Farmhand. Don't know how many times I heard a guy say, "Grampa had a Farmhand loader, Dad had a Farmhand loader, I'm going to have a Farmhand loader."

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 7:45 PM, SDman said:

At their height I don't think you could throw a rock without hitting a Farmhand dealer. My 656 was owned by the same family from the time it was new until I bought it. They had the IH dealership in Bison, and of course they sold Farmhand. They told me they would sometimes put together 3-4 loaders a day.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, 65806 said:

We also had a farmhand three row beet digger back when we raised sugar beets

IMG_4506.jpeg.86c0447b98042aa9a6080e7d59d510d8.jpeg

How was it to run? The 1968 price book shows beet and potato diggers, but they didn't show up in the 1979 book.

EPSON021.thumb.JPG.86409a5464df58d24ccf63863699e09d.JPG

9 hours ago, John K said:

How was it to run? The 1968 price book shows beet and potato diggers, but they didn't show up in the 1979 book.

EPSON021.thumb.JPG.86409a5464df58d24ccf63863699e09d.JPG

Our was a 229T based on your price sheet. 
It was a very good machine. Used it for many years until we quit raising beets. 

8 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Hard to believe but they had an engine driven snowblower for farmhands. How many of you guys remember the rotating control for the early farm hand? You could up and down , tilt with the same lever.

Yepper and a separate single valve for the push off or grapple. 
Didn’t they have a float position for the drop? Telling my age now. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dale560 said:

How many of you guys remember the rotating control for the early farm hand? You could up and down , tilt with the same lever.

Ha.  I guess I don’t have remember because I still have our Farmhand that was on our M and it uses what called the “poor man’s” joystick control.  I hardly ever see a Farmhand with the truss bridge framing like ours either.  Farmhand apparently figured out you didn’t need that later on. 

As a right handed guy that has never used a Farmhand loader--was it a pain to be running the loader controls with your left hand? I understand the idea of having your right hand open to shift. I think I'd still rather run the loader with my right hand though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melvinapple said:

As a right handed guy that has never used a Farmhand loader--was it a pain to be running the loader controls with your left hand? I understand the idea of having your right hand open to shift. I think I'd still rather run the loader with my right hand though.

I am right handed and no it was actually easy. i grew up with the triple lever valve on our f11 to the left on a super m. I ran the older rotating valve enough to be okay with them also. we put a f 235 farmhand on our 966 years ago and the triple valve got put on left side. it just seemed to be more natural to use the left hand to run loader and right to steer, shift.

• Like 2