Got me an oddball

hillman

I find all old North American tractors interesting with the exception of the Putt Bang POS things

They all contributed to the modern tractor. So yesterday I was very fortunate to pick up a Gibson I . around 500 built. I am surprised at all the cast iron in it and build specifically for Gibson. I guess its comparable to a Farmall M.it stands almost 6 feet high. someone put 14 inch rims and tires on the front, don't look right BTW

I will keep it a while until the novelty wears off

DSCI1903.JPG

DSCI1899.JPG

DSCI1900.JPG

DSCI1901.JPG

DSCI1902.JPG

• Like 15

Didn't some of those have a very unique front axle? Thinking two round tubes that could rotate forward for a narrow front similar to an early case arrangement.  Or could rotate back and away to make a wide front? 

I would have thought before I actually saw one that they used a Timken rear like a Cockshutt or others of that time. appear to be specific to Gibson , It has a Hercules 6 cylinder flathead in it. the grille is 1/8 material LOL 

I don't know where they were in pricing. I would expect they cost to much to build on small numbers, they build 50-60,000 little tractors some without sterring wheels for garden sized  market, They are a very expensive collectable when restored

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Didn't some of those have a very unique front axle? Thinking two round tubes that could rotate forward for a narrow front similar to an early case arrangement.  Or could rotate back and away to make a wide front? 

Custom had a convertable front end to change from wide to narrow front. I have a Wards tractor with it.

• Thanks 1