1/2" cordless impact......

dads706

My son has worked for a local tire shop for 2-3 years. He changes tires on everything from cars to payloaders. He has both the mid and high torque red ones. They have served him well.

19 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

My 1/2 inch DeWalt tightened the lug nuts on my truck to spec! All 6 hubs on the truck on 1 battery. 
Everything we have is yellow. 

But I can't get the ones off my semi after they are put on with the 1" impact and run for years.

Mine are budd wheels.

Always works great on my Dayton wheels.

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Like others have said, if you have a good supply of batteries, no point in changing colors. I have yellow stuff at home, works great for me. Last year bought a new smaller 1/2" impact, it's strong! We have red stuff at work, it is really good stuff too. Except for the drill chucks. As good as their stuff is why they can't source a chuck that will hold a bit is a mystery to me!

the secret to having the chuck hold a bit is when you tighten it in is to then loosen it until you hear it click, works everytime for me

BTW....in full discloure i have 2 - 1/2"  drill drivers, 2 - 1/4" impact drivers, 1/2" impact wrench, 7&1/2" circular saw, 4&1/2" angle grinder, and the power pruner

5 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

the secret to having the chuck hold a bit is when you tighten it in is to then loosen it until you hear it click, works everytime for me

BTW....in full discloure i have 2 - 1/2"  drill drivers, 2 - 1/4" impact drivers, 1/2" impact wrench, 7&1/2" circular saw, 4&1/2" angle grinder, and the power pruner

Seems counter-intuitive but will give it a try.

1 hour ago, Mr. Plow said:

I have the M18 Fuel mid torque 600ftlb version.  It's a horse in a small package.

Das bought the 1200 ftlb Fuel.....lots of power there.

I use my mid torque way more than the high torque. It's amazing what a nice compact unit will do. I got both 1/2" and a stubby 3/8". They are all in use very often

I have all red stuff here, and we got both lines at work. I do think the milwaukee high torque will out perform the dewalt by a little bit. Not sure about the newest versions now. If you already got dewalt tools, probably best to go with their impact. Dewalt tools seem to be very good quality too from the ones I've used. Their tools always seem to be cheaper to buy though

I have several DeWalt 20v tools including the high torque impact, hd 4 1/2 angle grinder, chainsaw (light duty but very handy for smaller jobs), drill/driver set and weed eater. 

I had two problems. The chainsaw had the trigger quit working but it was under warranty. Replacements saw has been working for years. Our drill has a bad clutch but I'm don't think it's our original drill. I'm pretty sure it got accidentally swapped out with a friend's worn out one. It still works for lighter jobs. It was the cheapest 20v drill they made also.

I'm wanting to get a compact blower, inflater, skill saw  and some work lights. However I think the work lights are over priced and may go with something else. Maybe just some cheap rechargeable lights.

2 hours ago, acem said:

But I can't get the ones off my semi after they are put on with the 1" impact and run for years.

Mine are budd wheels.

I didn’t try to take them off with the 1/2 inch. I have a Harbor Freight 1” air impact that will take things off that the tire shops IR wouldn’t. The Harbor Freight one is miserable to operate though. Trigger is in the wrong place!

7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Sometimes when things are gloomy I will listen to this song. Always makes me smile. Been some more sad subjects lately on here that are part of life for all of us at some point. Hope it makes you guys chuckle also. 

...''bruised orange'' and  ''clay pigeons''....and dozens more from that incredible Gentleman......all very good for the soul !!...........and he sings so well the song ''How every empire falls ''.......America's national anthem.....:(

I would humbly endorse all ''Milwaukee''....power tools ......The''grease gun   '' and the 3/4 drive  rattle gun ....what  two brilliant game savers when it comes to  worn excavator tracks and   worn, farm trailer   1000 x 20      truck tyres.....

Mike

8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Sometimes when things are gloomy I will listen to this song. Always makes me smile. Been some more sad subjects lately on here that are part of life for all of us at some point. Hope it makes you guys chuckle also. 

Boy oh boy did I stick that in the wrong spot. Ha ha. Impacts make me happy, not sad 😊

• Haha 1

I have the Milwaukee 1/2” fuel impact gun at home. I bought it to not need my air compressor and 1/2” Mac  air gun. We have a few at work 1/2”. And 3/4”. I asked for a 3/4” for work at the plant I work at don’t use the 1/2” or 3/4” air guns anymore I have them get me a 3/4-1/2 “ adapter so the 3/4 gun get used for both. One battery changed all 8 wheeled on the mixer I drive thought that was good for one battery. We also have a Milwaukee grease gun it’s going on a couple years and seemed to still hold up. I just bought batteries from Home Depot they were having a Black Friday special before thanksgiving buy 2 batteries and get a free tool so I bought two batteries and got a leaf blower  that I’m impressed with for a 18v leaf blower. If I didn’t have a bunch of Ryobi 18v told I’d have more Milwaukee tools. 

10 hours ago, acem said:

Mine are budd wheels.

Rattled all but one out of the buds on the dump truck, but my azz on a cheater jumping up and down didn’t do it either. 

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Those 1” cordless guns are just too expensive I think. If I had a business that did a lot of work on the side of the road, I could see wanting one. I have a 1” IR “D” handle for truck service and I just can’t see not using it for a long time to come. I was having some problems with it the other day and put the $70 rebuild kit in it and it works like new again. I really still like my IR 3/4” gun too. The Milwaukee is a great tool and has what would have been considered unbelievable power just a few years ago for a 1/2” impact. I really dislike how hot it gets under heavy use and the air ones don’t do that. I wouldn’t be without the battery powered ones, but I still like the larger air ones better. 

We have the 1 inch Milwaukee long anvil at work.  Not that great.  Rather have the 1 inch IR air gun.  Every other Milwaukee fuel impact we have had has been great.  We have 1/2 high torque and 3/8 mid torque..  We have the Milwaukee 3/4 fuel and use it a lot.  Beyond that its the 1 inch IR air gun hands down.

• Like 1

Buddy’s brother-in-law is a Milwaukee tool rep, I don’t know exactly what that job entails but I know he told me about the backing the Chuck  on the drill off a bit and sure enough, it locks and clicks. That’s how it is supposed to be.  I have about 20 pieces of them Milwaukee fuel line of tools and I am slowly converting all of my friends and neighbors, everybody is always impressed.  
I have a neighbor that has been sharpening the Blades  on his brush hog in place for about 10 years because his yellow impact and his air gun could not get them off.   He said my high torque half-inch impact barely rattled and they were off. He ordered one that day. Then I showed him how the 3/8 impact would pull the Lugnuts off of his super duty pick up that he knows we’re torque down to 165 pretty quickly And he says he’s getting one of those next. I actually use the 3/8 impact much more than a half inch.

I always say it anytime this conversation comes up, I watch tool prices regularly and homedepot.com when they have sales around the holidays is by far the best place to buy red tools. Not in the store, in the store prices are terrible and they cannot match the online prices, but the online prices are excellent

22 hours ago, acem said:

I have several DeWalt 20v tools including the high torque impact, hd 4 1/2 angle grinder, chainsaw (light duty but very handy for smaller jobs), drill/driver set and weed eater. 

I had two problems. The chainsaw had the trigger quit working but it was under warranty. Replacements saw has been working for years. Our drill has a bad clutch but I'm don't think it's our original drill. I'm pretty sure it got accidentally swapped out with a friend's worn out one. It still works for lighter jobs. It was the cheapest 20v drill they made also.

I'm wanting to get a compact blower, inflater, skill saw  and some work lights. However I think the work lights are over priced and may go with something else. Maybe just some cheap rechargeable lights.

I no longer work these things hard, old age, but I wanted the ease of go anywhere.

I found a buy on the Dewalt drill and drill driver with two batteries and a charger.

I really like this for the light mechanic work I do.

I just ordered a string trimmer only since I have the batteries. 

I will put Milwaukee pretty much at the top of the pile.

My son uses Milwaukee, fixes appliances, and loves them.

Dewalt is very good but maybe a 1/2 step down from Milwaukee.

Milwaukee is higher but you get what you pay for.

It all boils down to what you want, how you will use them and what you are willing to spend.

Waiting for the 20v coffee maker?

Makita beat them all to it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256332049965?epid=10035640423&hash=item3bae94ae2d:g:q4MAAOSwBwVk6OVu&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4CYeyK1%2B%2B3G1fMHa%2BlXdoNobEguh%2Be8iyqeEBb%2F5CjWVDnykKZnzKAVpyJMz695aw3FiFqLcM%2BsNUbgql8g66f1%2BfQQkuRTCa8n8D4f6DMXaKMXDSNCoRm2YosXfeN9NR0fzp8ScSnYb%2BcLpz10QpJI4rtuUJBwgye20JjkZV4kTKDQlBO4gTze5RtUVlwWo1R5QAS2RyDEqjpOUdma92BrNXAhzYFeioixsOdM%2Fo0hKzoCs4WQ7y4bKSTfEKkTKjbKvmIE9Ey1zum95F1uvHim%2FpYMbjjH%2FQTUfpRXRZz0C|tkp%3ABFBMrPfZwopj