1/2" cordless impact......

dads706

Looking for a cordless impact. Currently all my cordless stuff is yellow. But I'm hearing better things about red. Comments please.

@Sledgehammer

we have a Milwaukee fuel, i will have to look to see which one, its every bit the impact my Thunder Gun was, and more. One thing to look for is which type of socket retention they have. I prefer the spring ring type of socket retainer. 

Use Milwaukee professionally in the automotive field and on the farm equipment at home. They work and are tough. I have a few impacts that are 7 years old and they keep on trucking. At work the Milwaukee tools have a better reputation than snap on cordless tools. A snap on diehard guy at work has had his 1/2 inch impact, 3/8 impact, and 1/4 hex screw gun all go down on him this year. The 1/2 was new and lasted 3 weeks. Milwaukee has the widest range of tools of anyone that I know of, from impacts to soldering irons, to grease guns, heat guns, drills, a guy at work even has the little shop vac that is battery powered. The Milwaukee stuff just works. I crushed a drill under a lift and a buddy crushed an impact. Both still functioned afterwards but needed new case halves since they cracked at the handle I do prefer the matco 1/4 inch long neck ratchet to the Milwaukee, it has a smaller head and a slightly longer reach

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

@Sledgehammer

we have a Milwaukee fuel, i will have to look to see which one, its every bit the impact my Thunder Gun was, and more. One thing to look for is which type of socket retention they have. I prefer the spring ring type of socket retainer. 

Agree on spring retention. Here is the one I have. 

E2B708CA-C919-478C-9087-C3972F3A6627.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Looking for a cordless impact. Currently all my cordless stuff is yellow. But I'm hearing better things about red. Comments please.

We have a Yellow one. ( actually 2, 1 in 3/8 drive and the other in 1/2 inch. Absolutely no complaints here and they get used a bit and have had them a few years  

Im going to go against the grain and say if you are happy with the yellow stuff and have the batteries. Why not go with it.

Millwaukee makes a fine tool don't get me wrong. ( almost a cult following comparable to John Deere honestly) But if your battery supply is Dewaltt why get mixed up in another battery setup unless you are changing your whole lineup.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

almost a cult following comparable to John Deere honestly

More akin to CAT, not only are the products outstanding, but the warranty is great. 

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

More akin to CAT, not only are the products outstanding, but the warranty is great. 

Touchee

This is my latest one with the new forge battery. I haven’t used it a whole bunch yet but happy with my purchase so far.  I have 2 of the 2nd gen 1/2” m18 impacts as well. They’ve been excellent tools. 5 years of trouble free use. 

B2233D80-9A52-4A68-9485-ADA0D3CC2F67.jpeg

A806154D-865B-49DC-94D3-9B7067FDD634.jpeg

3AF97227-8871-4CD4-B0B8-41F75541C613.jpeg

I have had the brushless high torque DeWalt 1/2 inch impact for a couple years?

It's outstanding. 

Excellent breakout, excellent reliability (no problems), good battery life (using 5ah battery).

Only downside is it tends to break bolts and sockets...

I work it hard and am very satisfied.

Wife says wear ear muffs when using it on tractor tires. I say huh???

• Haha 1

Sometimes when things are gloomy I will listen to this song. Always makes me smile. Been some more sad subjects lately on here that are part of life for all of us at some point. Hope it makes you guys chuckle also. 

• Thanks 1

Dewalt 1/4; 3/8; and 1/2 half plus drill here. Not a full time user of course but often enough to say no reliability issues and plenty of power. Perhaps Milwaukee is better but I've already got the batteries and chargers and see no reason to change. 20 volt system, battery life is excellent, going to add their sander to the group.  

Like others have said, if you have a good supply of batteries, no point in changing colors. I have yellow stuff at home, works great for me. Last year bought a new smaller 1/2" impact, it's strong! We have red stuff at work, it is really good stuff too. Except for the drill chucks. As good as their stuff is why they can't source a chuck that will hold a bit is a mystery to me!

8 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I had a Dewalt, and after the third time it would not remove the lug nuts on a flat front tractor tire in the field I had the wife sell it on FB Marketplace.

I now have Milwaukee that has not failed me yet.

You must have had a real turd. 

Ours we used to bust loose wedge bolts on a dual hub on a 7230 Magnum. Never failed us yet. 

Only thing I don't like in the Dewaltt line is that in reality that their lineup their impacts end at 1/2 drive. They have a 3/4 drive listed but if you look the foot pounds of torque is the exact same as the 1/2 inch. Just different drive for a higher price. 

Just put a 1/2 to 3/4 drive adapter (impact rated) and get the same results cheaper. 

If we didnt already have Dewaltt cordless stuff already. We probably would have went Millwaukee. Just the money fairy hasn't visited here yet so we have unlimited funds to switch everything. 

• Like 2

Either are good. If you already have yellow you might as well stick with them. I think Dewalt has a higher rating on their best 1/2” impact than Milwaukee’s best. 
Keep in mind there are differences in not only anvil styles (detent/ring) but also compact and full-size and different models in each. 

I got all yellow and have had good luck. I put my truck tires on with 1/2 inch impact and when I do go the tire shop they always look at me and say I know you put these on with your impact. I have both impacts the smaller one and big one in 1/2 inch impact and drill. Grinder  and sawall. All have good by me. All 20 volt

I have the M18 Fuel mid torque 600ftlb version.  It's a horse in a small package.

Das bought the 1200 ftlb Fuel.....lots of power there.

2 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I had a Dewalt, and after the third time it would not remove the lug nuts on a flat front tractor tire in the field I had the wife sell it on FB Marketplace.

I now have Milwaukee that has not failed me yet.

You had a bad impact or the wrong one. DeWalt makes several but the high torque is a beast but Milwaukee might be a little better. 

I remove/install rear tractor duals and inner tires, wheel clamp and wedges. I have to use the lower settings on my front tires or it will strip them out when I tighten them up.

I wish they made a big  1" higher torque impact for semi tires and disk axle bolts.  The big 1" impacts will really tighten up a disk axle!

I will eventually get a big 1" cordless impact for disk axles. Have to use air for now...

Avoid using adapters on impacts. You loose power at each connection.

20 minutes ago, acem said:

You had a bad impact or the wrong one. DeWalt makes several but the high torque is a beast but Milwaukee might be a little better. 

I remove/install rear tractor duals and inner tires, wheel clamp and wedges. I have to use the lower settings on my front tires or it will strip them out when I tighten them up.

I wish they made a big  1" higher torque impact for semi tires and disk axle bolts.  The big 1" impacts will really tighten up a disk axle!

I will eventually get a big 1" cordless impact for disk axles. Have to use air for now...

Avoid using adapters on impacts. You loose power at each connection.

Those 1” cordless guns are just too expensive I think. If I had a business that did a lot of work on the side of the road, I could see wanting one. I have a 1” IR “D” handle for truck service and I just can’t see not using it for a long time to come. I was having some problems with it the other day and put the $70 rebuild kit in it and it works like new again. I really still like my IR 3/4” gun too. The Milwaukee is a great tool and has what would have been considered unbelievable power just a few years ago for a 1/2” impact. I really dislike how hot it gets under heavy use and the air ones don’t do that. I wouldn’t be without the battery powered ones, but I still like the larger air ones better. 

• Like 1