Smithfield Cuts

hobbyfarm

Just read that Smithfield is dropping a bunch of farms somewhere.  I think it was Utah.  This could bankrupt these farms.  The article said Smithfield will only retain its factory owned farms in this area.  Cited over production and lack of demand.  How can this be?  Pork is a reasonably cheap protein.  Is Hong Kong up to something?  (They own Smithfield).

Not good. Hopefully those producers find a solution 

There were hogs on every farm here at one time. Now we have 1 independent producer in the county.  Our town festival in the summer was called “pork day USA”.  Hopefully if those farms are being dropped they are able to survive. 

Heard on the radio that Missouri is trying to force foreign land owners to sell back any land that they have. Hopefully it passes and other states follow suit. 
A group is trying to start up a cattle processing plant in southern Illinois, around Marion, but they are being screwed around with red tape getting permits to start building. It is a group that is local and tired of dealing with foreign owned plants. So that’s probably why they are being screwed around on the permits. Maybe they should go to Missouri and build it!! The plan is that they will buy a trailer load or you can take one to get it butchered for yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Heard on the radio that Missouri is trying to force foreign land owners to sell back any land that they have. Hopefully it passes and other states follow suit. 
A group is trying to start up a cattle processing plant in southern Illinois, around Marion, but they are being screwed around with red tape getting permits to start building. It is a group that is local and tired of dealing with foreign owned plants. So that’s probably why they are being screwed around on the permits. Maybe they should go to Missouri and build it!! The plan is that they will buy a trailer load or you can take one to get it butchered for yourself. 

Naaa.... it's just Illinois.... It's not woke so it must not happen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

yes they sure did, bailed out of norther missouri - huge for the area with lots of people employed, land, income so its a mess. Read there are a lot of them closing somewhere cant remember where i read it other than on the interwebs

37 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

yes they sure did, bailed out of norther missouri - huge for the area with lots of people employed, land, income so its a mess. Read there are a lot of them closing somewhere cant remember where i read it other than on the interwebs

Just thought it would be great to have a farmer owned processing plant nearby but I don’t think that the powers that be want a safe and reliable source of meat for us.

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

The packing business is essentially a monopoly anyway, especially beef.  The chance of building successful packing plant of enough size to affect a regional market is nonexistent.

• Like 1

South Dakota was looking at a huge refinery south of Sioux Falls.

The people nixed that.

Not in my back yard?

Well, it has to be in someones!

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

Heard on the radio that Missouri is trying to force foreign land owners to sell back any land that they have

Nebraska passed a non corporate farming law back in the early 80s. They were trying to keep only family farms. 
That bill along with the rest of the economy of that era, about destroyed the state 

23 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The people nixed that.

Not in my back yard?

God forbid you have good paying jobs as well as a resource to help lower cost of living 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The people nixed that.

Not in my back yard?

They didnt get that done here they put in a new plant about 5 grs ago 2.5 miles north of my house its called Republic - they slaughter cattle

In my area of WI hogs aren't too common. Growing up my parents had 30 or 40 feeder pigs but were considered dairy farmers. I have  friends out in Iowa and when I visit them it's sad seeing empty lots, with hog feeders scattered around them, or nicer newer looking  buildings that are empty falling apart. These were considered small farms with 1500 head. I heard different stories between the farm crisis, and the pork market in the 90's many farmers just opened up the lots or barns and let the pigs out cause it wasn't even worth selling them.

Due to the "meat mafia" pigs for private consumption are tough to get.  Aside from fair animals, I only know 4 locally that keep some pigs for custom slaughter.  It's tough to find young ones as well.  

Pretty good demanding them on a small scale though. After eating a pork chop, naturally smoked bacon or good lean hot sausage from a custom slaughter pig......you'd feed the Smithfield crap to the dog.....

• Like 2

Just now, ray54 said:

Mangy old wild hogs out here can have more fat than the NEW WHITE breed hogs the big corporations raise anymore.

Exactly.  Friggin pork chops are so dry you about choke on them.  

Home grown ones are a bit more like a marbled steak with little fat all through it