J. I. CASE Combines

U-C

56 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think those series of Case combines tend to be under rated .

shame that Case stopped making Combines and other Harvest tools later on before they bought International. For a Company that has been so long in the Threshing business just to stop it 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, U-C said:

shame that Case stopped making Combines and other Harvest tools later on before they bought International. For a Company that has been so long in the Threshing business just to stop it 

They suffered from chronic stupidity. All companies have it but they were never able to minimize the problem. That's based on everything I've been able to discern from almost 4 decades of research and listening to people who were there.

11 hours ago, U-C said:

Case never bought out IH

• Like 1

12 hours ago, U-C said:

a muffler and shock absorber manufacturer bought the IH ag assets  🥴

Fact of the matter is even without the disastrous 80s there was too much capacity in the industry. Case was just ahead of the others 

41 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

They somehow convinced their largest customer to essentially take over the company. That lasted about ten minutes until Tenneco picked up the pieces.

Case is still in front of IH

12 hours ago, U-C said:

Thinking back on your comment this morning....

I recall from some time ago, the farmers that were well my senior at the time, mentioned Case as the thresher company. They made good steam tractors & threshers. Plows & tillage tools were very popular out west. They did not hold JI Case, in the modern era of gas tractors, to the same standard.

It would be great to have a time machine to go back & find out why....

Like I didn't ask "WHY??" enough back then. Lol!

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Case is still in front of IH

Would it have been different if Tenneco picked up IH first? I think that whole hing is just naming lineage nonsense that all companies do to make themselves sound well established, even though the companies in question just survived an abortion.

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pt756 said:

guy had a 660 no cab 10 foot head, and he could really combine the oats back in the day compared to other makes

My experience Case put out a better sample the either IH or JD.  Plus they had the biggest combine in the 60s with the 1660.  And they had some handy features that neither IH or JD had. 

13 hours ago, U-C said:

I think read somewhere Case sold more steam tractors than the rest of the brands combined.  Pretty sure they were among the best in threshing machines too.  They should have been as big a JD for sure and be able to challenge IH but they just had trouble making the conversion to internal combustion tractors and combines I think being too conservative. I can’t speak much for their rowcrop tractors but Case wheatland tractors were as good as JD and IH and sometimes better depending on the model and year.  

at the time of the merger The decal said Case International for an agreed upon time frame. at the time I thought the reverse would not sound too good on the marketing end ,,,,,,,,,,,

"International Case"  ?🥴

23 minutes ago, hillman said:

at the time of the merger The decal said Case International for an agreed upon time frame. at the time I thought the reverse would not sound too good on the marketing end ,,,,,,,,,,,

"International Case"  ?🥴

I really did want to see a "Case International New Holland" decal. They would have needed a longer hood for that.

Mike

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think read somewhere Case sold more steam tractors than the rest of the brands combined.  Pretty sure they were among the best in threshing machines too.  They should have been as big a JD for sure and be able to challenge IH but they just had trouble making the conversion to internal combustion tractors and combines I think being too conservative. I can’t speak much for their rowcrop tractors but Case wheatland tractors were as good as JD and IH and sometimes better depending on the model and year.  

didn't J. I. Case also been an early Pioneer in Combines that where horse drawn with a Steam engine that powered it. And later a steel version but with a gasoline engine. I thought Case was also a pioneer in the Kerosine tractors too. Yes I heard they where very conservatives staying with some models far to long but at least one can say they where a proven Tech and the Eagle hitch was way ahead for its time. 

5 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I really did want to see a "Case International New Holland" decal. They would have needed a longer hood for that.

Mike

nah not me if it was up to me I rather have Case IH its seprate company and not part of New Holland. But that is my opinion 

5 hours ago, hillman said:

"International Case"  ?🥴

International Case was around for a few years till the Magnums came out.

As for the combines,  I too am always amazed that such a huge company could fall so fast. The original J.I. Case was broke and non existent by 1963 when Tenneco bought them. Seems like they never realy left the 1950's the 930/1030 tractors were work horses but crude.  The 70 series was better, but not much, Tenneco was pulling the strings by then.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the combines but Case never really seemed to get popular until they bought IH and rebranded what IH had made.

20220403_131125.jpg

We had two 600 amd two 660 combines. Two had pickups for drybeans and two set up for wheat. We had excellent luck with them and they really never gave much trouble. We finally replaced them in 1998 with a 1460. 

I always wondered what happened to them. apparently they just quit building them?

18 minutes ago, U-C said:

didn't J. I. Case also been an early Pioneer in Combines that where horse drawn with a Steam engine that powered it. And later a steel version but with a gasoline engine. I thought Case was also a pioneer in the Kerosine tractors too. Yes I heard they where very conservatives staying with some models far to long but at least one can say they where a proven Tech and the Eagle hitch was way ahead for its time. 

Holt, Best, and maybe few others in the west and Pacific Northwest that built the first combines that were successful in the late 1800s.  Some of them were self propelled too.  Far as I know Case didn't get into combines until the 1920s when everybody else did.  

4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Holt, Best, and maybe few others in the west and Pacific Northwest that built the first combines that were successful in the late 1800s.  Some of them were self propelled too.  Far as I know Case didn't get into combines until the 1920s when everybody else did.  

Then after Holt and Best became Caterpillar the new company sold the combines to John Deere...... stir stir stir 

Case dropped combines because they just didn't have the market share to justify continued production.  It was like that with most of the Case lineup. Case's construction line was gaining momentum and actually over took AG sales in 1969.  So it was no hair off their back when they decided to concentrate on tractors and construction equipment.  It was a sound business decision because Case construction equipment is still around today.  

• Like 1