Explanation required

Lazy WP

Can someone please explain to me why you would turn your 4-way blinky lights on in the fog? I can somewhat understand if you are driving for a speed limited company and not in your normal pack of turtles, but 10 of you? All with the blinky things AND, every form of illumination known to mankind on the front of your vehicle!! 
These are the same trucks that will be stopped along side the highway with absolutely zero lights on sleeping or whatever a nospeak does.

Flashing lights are easier to see than a steady light in poor conditions and get your attention better. But when every Idoot on the road does it, every driver ignores it and now it is the norm and gets no attention. Nobody respects flashing orange lights anymore because everything has them on it, now we use rotating beacons to alert the idiots behind the wheel not paying attention.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JaredT said:

Flashing lights are easier to see than a steady light in poor conditions and get your attention better. But when every Idoot on the road does it, every driver ignores it and now it is the norm and gets no attention. Nobody respects flashing orange lights anymore because everything has them on it, now we use rotating beacons to alert the idiots behind the wheel not paying attention.  

Things have escalated to strobes now. Construction vehicles, emergency vehicles... 

Now people are putting strobes on their civilian vehicles too. I'm seeing it more and more on the road where someone steps on the brakes and their stop lights strobe before coming on solid. There was even one pickup that had a row of strobes under the tailgate. Many of the late model motorcycles have a strobe in the headlight now so it's flashing white as it comes at you.

So everybody is running around now flickering and flashing their brains out. Won't be long before everyone's ignoring those too. Every once in a while already, someone will plow into the back of a police car that's pulled off to the side of the road on a traffic stop with all its emergency lights blazing. The driver will cry "I didn't SEE it!"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Can someone please explain to me why you would turn your 4-way blinky lights on in the fog? I can somewhat understand if you are driving for a speed limited company and not in your normal pack of turtles, but 10 of you? All with the blinky things AND, every form of illumination known to mankind on the front of your vehicle!! 
These are the same trucks that will be stopped along side the highway with absolutely zero lights on sleeping or whatever a nospeak does.

My pet peevs in fog are 1) seems like ppl in white, or Grey cars are the ones with no lights on. 2) ppl not knowing their auto head lights don't turn on their rear tail lights unless it's night. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The driver will cry "I didn't SEE it!"

Hard to see when your head is buried in your phone emailing! Hard to see when you're drunk too.

Before there was such a thing as email and cell phones I had my wrecker hit with all the lights flashing AND with flares out! Flares run over a couple of times too. So, some folks just can't/shouldn't drive.

We have wig-wag lights on the jets - the landing lights have a pulse position where they flash alternately. They really get attention as traffic will call us in sight earlier than if they're on steady. Of course they're very high power lamps. If they're run for 15 minutes on the ground they need 45 minutes cooling. I don't know why they'd be on for 15 minutes on the ground as we don't turn them on until cleared for takeoff and off clearing the runway landing but that's the restriction.

• Like 1

In the flashing light subject. Around here we got a lot of snow plow jockeys that are in a contest to have the most lights as bright as possible. Then they think that gives them the right of way and pull out of driveways right in front of anyone on the road (or back out). They are some of the biggest a#*!%\es out there. I been cut off many times. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Things have escalated to strobes now. Construction vehicles, emergency vehicles... 

Now people are putting strobes on their civilian vehicles too. I'm seeing it more and more on the road where someone steps on the brakes and their stop lights strobe before coming on solid. There was even one pickup that had a row of strobes under the tailgate. Many of the late model motorcycles have a strobe in the headlight now so it's flashing white as it comes at you.

So everybody is running around now flickering and flashing their brains out. Won't be long before everyone's ignoring those too. Every once in a while already, someone will plow into the back of a police car that's pulled off to the side of the road on a traffic stop with all its emergency lights blazing. The driver will cry "I didn't SEE it!"

One of my vehicles was bought used at a local dealer. They tried to play it up how concerned for my safety the owner was and he had this special deal for all his customers. For a mere $500 they had installed a flasher on the 3rd brake light in the back window. It was already installed too. I requested it be taken off as I had no interest in paying $500 for a flashing brake light. They didn't. Not sure now if I got charged for it or not.

5 hours ago, New Englander said:

Hard to see when your head is buried in your phone emailing! Hard to see when you're drunk too.

Before there was such a thing as email and cell phones I had my wrecker hit with all the lights flashing AND with flares out! Flares run over a couple of times too. So, some folks just can't/shouldn't drive.

We have wig-wag lights on the jets - the landing lights have a pulse position where they flash alternately. They really get attention as traffic will call us in sight earlier than if they're on steady. Of course they're very high power lamps. If they're run for 15 minutes on the ground they need 45 minutes cooling. I don't know why they'd be on for 15 minutes on the ground as we don't turn them on until cleared for takeoff and off clearing the runway landing but that's the restriction.

While unchaining a skidloader on a trailer parked along the curb, a men at work sign 50 yards up the street, 15 cones around the rig, safety vest on, hazards on the truck and trailer, along with becon strob lights a 16 year old driver ran over 7 cones, went onto the trailer, ran me over, dragged me 10 feet, and didn't hit the brakes until 30 ft after hitting the trailer. 1st thing he told a crew member of mine was " I didn't see anything "

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jesse in WI said:

I'm a land surveyor and spend a share of my time in the right of way and on the road. The only thing a vest and flashy lights is good for is forcing the insurance company to pay casualty insurance to your widow.

Sadly after my accident I realized how sleezy the insurance companies are. I wasn't even landed at the trauma center yet and there was a voice mail of what was left of my phone from the kids insurance company. Of course they wanted a statement when I was half out of it and in shock hoping I'd forget key points. One of the 1st things they said was did you have cones out and fest......hoping I didn't so they could push the blame on me. That's when I knew I needed an attorney. Their tone really changed when one returned that call instead of me. They also like to use the line " act of God" to get out of excuses. Luckily there was a great investigation crew that took lots of pictures and measurements and it's crazy how much they can do with drones. Luckily for me there were key points in statements and pictures and the insurance couldn't deny. 

Fog can be a tough condition to negotiate, speed limit up here is usually 60mph, in pretty thick fog I will usually try and maintain 50 which can be still a bit fast for conditions but any slower and your likely to get hit from behind which did happen to me one day on a 100 vehicle event where about 40 actually collided, 10am daylight and 200' above the ground was clear blue sky. All of a sudden brake lights appeared ahead and I was able to stop but got drilled by a 5 ton cube van following me, guy a couple vehicles ahead of me got out and was run over by his own pickup being hit. I just stayed in my truck until I was surrounded and the crunching noises were further behind and was fortunate a tractor trailer pulled right up on my left almost immediately protecting me from that side.

My secretary called in absent one day on a foggy morning, to be fair her access road to the highway was almost under a curve and railroad tressel which was not a great location in good conditions, I explained to her I had to cross a major highway which was dangerous so I unroll my windows and shut my vehicle off to tell when it was safe, she said I still don't understand how that enables you to see the vehicles, I said it doesn't Val but it does help me hear them...

16 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

While unchaining a skidloader on a trailer parked along the curb, a men at work sign 50 yards up the street, 15 cones around the rig, safety vest on, hazards on the truck and trailer, along with becon strob lights a 16 year old driver ran over 7 cones, went onto the trailer, ran me over, dragged me 10 feet, and didn't hit the brakes until 30 ft after hitting the trailer. 1st thing he told a crew member of mine was " I didn't see anything "

I was working the "Rush Hour Rescue" sponsored by WBZ radio and ALA, which later merged into AAA. It's about 55 years ago and although common now I think it was one of the first to have free roadside assistance to help the commuters and speed traffic. I had radio communication with the WBZ helicopter and was directed to problems. Those older cars suffered breakdowns more often than today's cars and bias non belted tires had more flats. We could tow clear minor accidents, major ones had to be investigated by the state police.

I was lucky never to get hit. After a few close calls I'd light a flare as I exited the truck followed by more. When the truck was hit the damage was minor to it, car took it harder. Driver seemed puzzled about how the truck suddenly appeared in front of him even though it had been parked with lights and flares for at least 10 minutes. He just drove off with his broken headlight and smashed grill; I never heard anything more.

Did you make a full recovery?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

I was working the "Rush Hour Rescue" sponsored by WBZ radio and ALA, which later merged into AAA. It's about 55 years ago and although common now I think it was one of the first to have free roadside assistance to help the commuters and speed traffic. I had radio communication with the WBZ helicopter and was directed to problems. Those older cars suffered breakdowns more often than today's cars and bias non belted tires had more flats. We could tow clear minor accidents, major ones had to be investigated by the state police.

I was lucky never to get hit. After a few close calls I'd light a flare as I exited the truck followed by more. When the truck was hit the damage was minor to it, car took it harder. Driver seemed puzzled about how the truck suddenly appeared in front of him even though it had been parked with lights and flares for at least 10 minutes. He just drove off with his broken headlight and smashed grill; I never heard anything more.

Did you make a full recovery?

Thanks for the story. I don't think I'd ever want to do something like that.

Unfortunately I've been off of work for the last 2 years from 3 different surgeries and possibly a 4th one in the future but I'm hoping with in the new year I'm well enough to work again. Good and bad I can't return to my old employer due to permanent restrictions/limitations/disability rating.  Quit a few places are really hesitant of hiring me due to them but one place that really interests me is giving me a chance. I'm the bionic man with hardware in a leg and my body isn't exactly the same from the shock and different pulled and torn ligaments. I move much slower, I get sore really fast and can't do certain things I once enjoyed if I don't want to wear down my body but I'm still here, walking and can still enjoy my family. Pros and cons came out of this whole ordeal. It really opened my eyes of what's important in life and never leave the house mad. I still feel like the accident was preventable I did everything right to stay out of danger but on my better days I understand we're all 16 once and we had the world by its tail. I'm sure the parents are having some sleepless nights over the ordeal wondering the " what nexts" . It's a crummy situation but just another chapter in my life story book.

23 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

One of my vehicles was bought used at a local dealer. They tried to play it up how concerned for my safety the owner was and he had this special deal for all his customers. For a mere $500 they had installed a flasher on the 3rd brake light in the back window. It was already installed too. I requested it be taken off as I had no interest in paying $500 for a flashing brake light. They didn't. Not sure now if I got charged for it or not.

The first of these I seen was on a Harley Davidson.

It does get your attention. It flashed three-four times and then went solid on.

But, it is a small electronic device that is now $9.99 for four of these on SleaseBay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

flashed three-four times and then went solid on.

Exactly what mine does. I honestly probably wouldn't have had it installed for any price from the dealer but I sure as heck thought $500 was baloney.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:15 AM, Lazy WP said:

I would. For sure.

Flashers say "something's up here. Use caution".

Fog is an excellent example, possibly the best example of when drivers sharing a single road might be operating at quality disparate speeds, thus being dangerous.

In fact, I see zero problem with it

You see it here in snowstorms also. I can see the flashers in fog also. About 10 years ago a nasty fog accident out in the oil field area here in ND. A car hit a semi pulling across 4 lane the chain reaction resulted in fire and more vehicles crashing in heavy fog. A local man was among those who died. It was a case of heavy traffic never slowing down for the conditions.  I have seen it more than a few times where the driving conditions were absolutely awful and usually loaded semis are pushing the limits. The last time was a peculiar experience I was headed north to my home 16 miles from farmyard. Was 3 pm or so and had just rained and frozen plus snow. The few vehicles on the road were creeping along about  30 mph on a 65 mph road. A Canadian W 900 and grain trailer came down the south lane as I was going north. You could just hear he was cruising as he wooshed by me. About an hour later I get a call from somebody telling me a grain trailer missed a sweeping curve by the farm and was piled up in the ditch.  When I. Went out in morning the semi couldn’t negotiate sweeping 55 mph curve around a lake. He tried dropping his front tire off the shoulder to gain traction off the gravel side. He just lost it and ended up jumping a intersecting gravel road. The grain trailer buckled so the hoppers were on ground and the back axles were up in air. The Canadian owner of the truck was 8 hours away. He came down a day later with trucks a tractor and grain vac. They cleaned up grain, loaded wrecked trailer on flatbed for the tractor and grain vac and we’re going to road the tractor back north. The owner was telling me it was a brand new trailer. Driver told him king pin wasn’t greased good and pushed him in ditch. I told the owner look at tracks in ditch before he wrecked and I had passed him 5 miles before and truck was doing at least 75 mph on ice. The owner was telling me he would end up with trailer from insurance but not a part was salvage but the brake cans and lights. Wheels and axles and everything were bent bad on a trailer with less than a 1000 miles. This is why people slow down in bad weather and try to warn others.

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I would. For sure.

Flashers say "something's up here. Use caution".

Fog is an excellent example, possibly the best example of when drivers sharing a single road might be operating at quality disparate speeds, thus being dangerous.

In fact, I see zero problem with it

In a pack? And the visibility wasn’t terrible either. Just a bunch of driving school freight haulers. If you need to run with the 4 ways on, park your truck. Maybe a better option would be to dim your lights, shut off your light bar and drive!

The only time, and I mean ONLY time we will drive down a public road with the 4 ways on is if we are following a slow moving piece of machinery and have no intention of passing it.  

Many moons ago when I was in my mid 20’s and going to get my first round baler with a pickup and trailer I ran into bad roads.  It was I29 in Missouri.  Had to slow down to around 55 to be reasonably safe.  Same speed as everyone else.  Right lane was pretty clear, but the hammer lane was snow packed.  Low and behold we come upon two cars moving at 45 mph in the right lane, 4 ways blinking.  So to get around these fools we all had to slip and slide around them on the snow packed hammer lane where 46 mph was taking your life in your own hands to pass these idiots going 45 in a lane where 55 was safe.  I think they were Subarus to boot . . . 

• Haha 1

4 ways are common practice in NoDak blizzards or extreme fog. Other drivers can't see your headlights from the side. The flashing lights are so others can see you in a white-out blizzard.  I don't have a problem with them. Sometimes the 4 ways are the only way you know you are coming up behind another car on a highway where there might be 20 mile stretches between towns. There are times in a blizzard where you can't see tail lights 6 feet behind a vehicle but you can see the flashers from 20 feet. I don't like that every vehicle with a company name seems to need a strobe no matter if they're hauling, towing, stopped or just driving down the highway in broad daylight with perfect weather.

They do that here all the time in snow. It drives me nuts. Driving down the interstate at same speed as everyone else with 4 ways on. Usually cant see the lights anyway because they are covered in snow but god forbid you clean those off. Now if one vehicle is doing 25 and everyone else is doing 65 ok but when you are 20 feet from the car in front of you and all have 4 ways on just shut them off and drive. When everyone is using them no one pays attention to them or when you use turn signal. 

• Thanks 1