Best or favorite tractor of all time!

Farming Enthusiast

I haven't seen such a post on RPF yet so I'm gonna take it up a notch. First I wanna start off with a theory on the subject. I see ALOT of Ms Hs 4020s and 8Ns brought up when I search the subject and I don't wanna say they are overrated, but they also happen to be some of the highest production tractors ever made so you have a lot more people who have had experience with them to vote. That being said I'd have to have the Magnum line right up there because without that tractor I don't know that we'd have red tractors today. And are still very relevant as and usable today. All of the tractors on our farm are great in their own way but I'd have to name the 5488 as my favorite that I've ran

• Like 5

8950 ..... 4fiddy ...... 230 . The MX series is more comfortable than the boxcar series but not as reliable. Our first Magnum was a year old 8950 we got in December of 99 with 560 hours on it. Bought it sight unseen out of Hopkinsville KY Roder imp , bought from Delbert himself. I think it's about 19,000 hours now , bearings pistons and sleeves are original 

• Like 7

My favorite would have to the agrikings. I grew up with a 970 as the main workhorse for my parents farm until the 3394 came along.

original_baa18952-7ad4-4fe6-a11b-e16d8c2bb6e3_20221029_150651.thumb.jpg.f8289994276d3a81206bb505e9bb2755.jpgoriginal_be7f704c-fcab-4582-b113-c963aa978b29_20221029_150633.thumb.jpg.a4695a81bee6a559e3cd5511072885fe.jpg

The 1070 and 1370's are popular in my area yet as either a high hp tractor on a hobby farm, running ptos, hauling wagons or running tmrs. They seem like a very versatile tractor in my opinion and would like one on my hobby farm sometime.

• Like 3

I haven't ran very many newer tractors but have ran alot of the older red tractor's from H's upto 806. J D 4020 and alot of the 2 cyl. Out of all them I would have to say 806 and 756 is my favorite tractors.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

I haven't ran very many newer tractors but have ran alot of the older red tractor's from H's upto 806. J D 4020 and alot of the 2 cyl. Out of all them I would have to say 806 and 756 is my favorite tractors.

It'd be hard to beat an 806 in the toughness department in my book. I'm confident mine would go several thousand more hours on a plow if it was called to do it. My pampered behind needs a cab though! 😅

• Like 3

The best isn't necessarily the favorite...I could go back and forth for quite a while about the best tractor ever built, but my favorite are the big later model Fords--TW-25/35, 8730/8830.  Yes the Genesis 7.5 engine was better suited to make that kind power, yes the Ford crashbox transmission wasn't the most elegant (but the powershift was second to none), yes the power steering pumps are a weak point...I still love running them anyway, the cab is perfectly laid out and they're a lot of fun to drive when you get the feel of hitting the shift points with the engine wound up.  I personally think the long hood makes for a very good looking tractor too.

• Like 1

I’ll go with series. Individual models vary based on needs. The 56 series is tops for sure, especially one with a 407. The boxcar magnums are great but 8900 series is tops for me although I haven’t spent much time in one. My dad has a collection of hundred series farmalls that I don’t get to play with but before they were restored I did play with them a little and they all impressed me with how smooth they ran. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Shuck said:

The best isn't necessarily the favorite...I could go back and forth for quite a while about the best tractor ever built, but my favorite are the big later model Fords--TW-25/35, 8730/8830.  Yes the Genesis 7.5 engine was better suited to make that kind power, yes the Ford crashbox transmission wasn't the most elegant (but the powershift was second to none), yes the power steering pumps are a weak point...I still love running them anyway, the cab is perfectly laid out and they're a lot of fun to drive when you get the feel of hitting the shift points with the engine wound up.  I personally think the long hood makes for a very good looking tractor too.

I'm not very familiar with the Fords. But the 8000-9600 are some of the nicest looking tractors ever in my book

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

I’ll go with series. Individual models vary based on needs. The 56 series is tops for sure, especially one with a 407. The boxcar magnums are great but 8900 series is tops for me although I haven’t spent much time in one. My dad has a collection of hundred series farmalls that I don’t get to play with but before they were restored I did play with them a little and they all impressed me with how smooth they ran. 

When you consider the 56 series is an upgraded 06 series and then throw the 1456 and Hydro line on top it's pretty hard to argue against that 

• Like 1

Boy, this is a hard one! My favorite one that I own is my 300, honestly. Plenty of power for my small farm and just enough "extras" to make it comfortable to operate. The handiest would be the 340u, small but enough power to run all my equipment if I need it to, and handy for the dozens of small jobs I have around this old hill farm. 

But as for all-time favorite/best/whatever, I'd like to paraphrase a famous quote:

"I like to think of baby Jesus running a bored and stroked 706 gas narrow front, pulling 4 16's in High First... and I'm riding the fender." 🤣 

Or however that goes.

Mac

• Like 2
  • Haha 4