Hydraulic oil contamination

Case 215

I have a magnum 215 that the hydraulic oil got water in it. Whats the best way to flush the system out. Transmission is shot and going to blow everything out but will still have steering cylinders and lines oil cooler and where i can get good in the rear end without tearing it apart

34 minutes ago, Case 215 said:

I have a magnum 215 that the hydraulic oil got water in it. Whats the best way to flush the system out. Transmission is shot and going to blow everything out but will still have steering cylinders and lines oil cooler and where i can get good in the rear end without tearing it apart

The only way I know of is to put in clean oil, run it awhile and then drain.

Keep doing this until the oil remains clean.

But this can get very expensive with the cost of oil.

They make a machine for automatic transmissions and they usually use 16 quarts of ATF as the flush oil.

You should be able to disconnect the oil cooler lines and blow it out. What's left should not be all that much.

The solution is dilution. A couple of gallons of water-saturated Hy-Tran in 45-1/2 gallons might look bad but it won't be detrimental to the system. A good hard workout in the field will cook the remaining moisture out of the oil. The oil is milky because it's doing what it was designed to do, protect the tractor.

9 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Did this tractor get run a while with water in the trans oil?  

Yes a few years ago and we over hauled the motor beginning of the year and after 200 hrs the pads started separating. We drained the oil out in October due to low pressure  and opened up the inspection plates and suction filter and it was full of pads but only the low range was shot at the time. Needed the tractor for a few more days so put the oil back in it. Was not milky. Finished with the tractor and moved the tires out and pulled the diesel tanks and did a real good wash on it and i started tearing down on tuesday and when i drained the oil it was very milky. The vent wasn’t washed so it couldn’t of gotten in from there and the oil filler cap was tight. No external oil leaks to say it got in from there. I’m lost to where it came in at but I want to get the whole system clean while the transmission is out. 

Hopefully the damage is limited to the friction plates disintegrating . . . worst case is the main hydraulic pump is coming apart too and sending metal everywhere.

Had the main pump go rogue on my MX170 -- metal scum covering every part it could settle on.  No way to get everything completely clean short of dismantling the entire transmission.  Opted to clean everything as best I could through the oil intake sump, then run cheap 303 oil at a minimal level for 10-15 minutes, then regular oil and figure on changing the filter more often than one would expect.  Don’t run the tractor with the hydraulic filter warning light on!

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Hopefully the damage is limited to the friction plates disintegrating . . . worst case is the main hydraulic pump is coming apart too and sending metal everywhere.

Had the main pump go rogue on my MX170 -- metal scum covering every part it could settle on.  No way to get everything completely clean short of dismantling the entire transmission.  Opted to clean everything as best I could through the oil intake sump, then run cheap 303 oil at a minimal level for 10-15 minutes, then regular oil and figure on changing the filter more often than one would expect.  Don’t run the tractor with the hydraulic filter warning light on!

No metal so far. I have the transmissions pulled out. I think i will bring the pump to be rebuilt since the tractor has 9,994 hours on it. I just finished a tractor last week that had pressure loss. Ended up being the check valves for the accumulator. While we had it all down we changed the mid and high range and master clutch. We have a local mechanic that does our work i do the tear down and he came pull the shaft out put the new clutches and put the shaft back in and help us stab it back together. He was here for about 5 hrs. 
He wants to bring this one back to his shop to do but I am attempted to do the range myself since I helped do the other one. We overhaul our own motors so I think we can tackle the transmission at least the range.