To Grease or not to Grease

thanks, its a old Doncaster IH 574 i bought recently, i have refurbed the  the front axle, bushings etc  and putting back together now and this silly felt washer was bugging me. I don't think its would cause a problem either way but just interested to see how more knowledgeable folks than I do it. When i pulled apart it had absolutely nothing , thrust bearings and felts were completely disappeared, I was very lucky that the spindles and hubs were not worn out, although i did have to get the bottoms of the stub axle housing rewelded as they were in bad shape.

IH uses felt seals all over.

Like rear axles on most all older stuff and the front wheels on the H/M.

They do allow the hub on the front wheels to rotate around the outside of the felt.

I just put a thin film of grease around the outside of the felt and also inside the hub where it runs.

But, it may need to run dry? I don't know.

If anyone has the IH service manual for any of these tractors, look it up and see what IH says to do.

This is far from a life or death deal but it would be nice to know the thinking of IH on the installation?

On 12/8/2023 at 10:53 PM, nomorejohndeere said:

does the seal contact the bearing work surface or is it stand off?

The felt seal/washer is directly under the thrust bearing, I installed it today and put a light rub of grease on it.  Completing it dry would probably also be OK as a certain amount of grease will come through between the trust bearing and the spindle anyways as its not super tight. I have a shop manual but it does not say, as you mention its not critical but i am just interested what the original procedure would have been.