2cyl fuel mix

F-301066460puller

Bought an $80 20" Amazon chain saw to finish off my Hackberry limb that fell off this summer. My little ms170 cheapo stihl did good but was a strugglin on the big chunks. 

The stihl is a 50:1 mix... the new chink clone saw says 20:1 for first 20 then 25:1 after that... now do I really need to keep 2 gas cans around? Will the chink saw foul plugs at 50:1? 

Run whatever you want in it.  I’d use the same mix as the Stihl and maybe dump an extra cap full of oil into the first couple of tanks.

personally I think that 50:1 is too lean period (I run 40:1 in everything) but if tuned right you should be fine with it for most cutting as long as you use a good quality oil.

heck the Chinese saw will probably only last 30 to 40 tanks anyway, so run what you have.

I run 20:1 in everything, no exceptions. Oil is cheap compared to rebuilds or replacements. Never have plugs foul either. 

Pretty sure this 50:1 stuff is mainly to keep the EPA happy. Can’t have any whiffs of 2 stroke smoke floating about. 

• Like 2

I run Stihl saws & blowers & weedeater's. I know they say 50:1 but I buy the stihl 2cyl oil. The bottle says to a gallon of gas but I only mix it to 8 tenths of a gallon. Not sure what that ratio would be . I have never had any troubles with my equipment. ONe Stihl weedeeater I had for 19 years and never put a spark plug in it.  Was still running good when I traded it in.There was some days I ran it for 8 hours. 

My outboards call for 16:1 on the oldest and 24:1 on the pre 66’s bugs aren’t a real problem. 
if it asks for 20:1 it probably means it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-301066460puller said:

Will the chink saw foul plugs at 50:1? 

Your thinking backwards. Less oil will not foul plugs. What is more likely is that it will seize up from not enough oil. The cheap saw will not have the necessary hardness in the crank and cylinder to run that lean.

• Like 8

For all those advocating the 20:1 remember while it does richen the mix for oil, it actually leans out your air to fuel ratio.  You will need to open that high jet up further to keep your engine from running lean.  You can still seize up an engine even with plenty of oil if it's running too lean.

Now that said, you should technically be tuning those screws summer to winter and vise versa and likely even morning to afternoon if you have wide temp swings.  Or if you cut with any elevation changes, you had better learn how to keep saws in tune.

I see way to many people that don't touch the carb because they were told not to by the dealer or the carb requires specific tools to tweak the jets.  

• Like 1

Started buying VF mix 50 to 1 with 94 octane. Saws weedeater starts  fast and seem to run stronger .it's a bit pricey 24 a gallon. The can lasts me a long time. Tried in another 2 cycle machine and it seems to run smoother and rev faster. Plugs don't foul. I burn premium gas in all my small engines.no ethanol in it. Low octane gas sucks

• Like 1

We used to mix 40:1 for snowmobile fuel and I never wore an engine out. I do 32:1 now for chain saws. My ten year old cheap Poulan seems to do good on that mix. Have never tried adjusting the carb on it as it started and ran fine. Just this fall it is getting to the point it won't idle without stalling so might be time to look into some carb adjustments (if I can find it). 

I have run old worn out outboards that called for 25:1 on 50:1 without issue because I didn't know any better. I think the modern mix oils, especially the premium ones, punch above their weight class in terms of lubrication. 

That said, if I had bought a new saw and it called for 25:1, that's what I'd put in it. You could do it like this to keep from having two saw gas cans: Figure out the tank capacity on the saw. Let's say it's 0.25 gallon (for sake of example). Okay, run it empty of full before filling up. Then fill it with 50:1 from your regular saw gas can. Then add enough additional mix oil to bring the ratio to 25:1. So about 0.65 ounces of extra oil. Make a container or measuring cup or syringe to use each time. Yes, it requires some math on the front end, but after that, the procedure is the same every time. And the saw is getting the lubrication it calls for.

That's what I'd do. YMMV.

Oil Thread, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I bought my Christmas present and ordered a Dewalt 20v string trimmer.

I am tired of yanking on that Echo string, carrying a pocket screwdriver for carb adjustment and running out of gas at the far end of the yard.

The Echo goes up for sale come spring.

After I have tried and proven the Dewalt.

• Like 1

I have been running 2 stroke motors for the last 50 years, never have burned one out for lack of oil.

I get the best oil I can find, and then the equation goes fuzzy.

Seems My graduated measuring cup is never where I last had it. So most of my mixes get done by the guess-and-pray method. 

Go on the side of more oil rather than less.

I’m going to put it ( 50:1 into the  Husqvarna snow throw cat end of season and run itit. , I had the cleaner the carb out to get it to run. Only had 10 hours on it . 
going  do it to the  Farmall C 

36 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I am tired of yanking on that Echo string, carrying a pocket screwdriver for carb adjustment and running out of gas at the far end of the yard.

Got enough batteries? 

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I Got rid of Green Machine  trimmers years ago.

Last year decided on a DeWalt 20V trimmer too...for the little trimming I got.

Plus battery matches to 3 or4 other power tools.

12 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

Started buying VF mix 50 to 1 with 94 octane. Saws weedeater starts  fast and seem to run stronger .it's a bit pricey 24 a gallon. The can lasts me a long time.

If you only burn a gallon or two a year, this isn’t a bad option.  I keep premixed at the cabin with a saw there since it will probably take 2 years to go thru that gallon.  At home, I run my own mix with Ethanol free fuel, since I burn a whole lot more volume so fuel is always reasonably fresh.

That said, the OP is asking what to run in a $80 saw.  I would run what he has for mixed gas and if he chooses add a little more oil to each tank do that.  I don’t think you can buy pre-mix in 20 or 25:1.  And keeping a separate can of 20 or 25:1 would likely result in old fuel in one or both mixed cans.  

It's hit and miss on the Chinese clone saws. If you get a good one, it'd probably live just fine on 50:1, (though as many have noted and I agree, is a little too thin for any 2 stroke.)

Problem is those chink saws have terrible tolerance and quality control and the next one may score the piston or lock the crank bearings at 32:1.

I run all my stuff at 32:1 with a high quality synthetic. My ported "Blue Thunder" G466 has been running pretty good on it the last couple years and my old Shindaiwa's haven't fouled any plugs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

just got my Christmas present yesterday...Dewalt 4 1/2" battery angle grinder, have 9 batteries (2ah, 4ah and 6ah), and 7 chargers (6 are regular chargers and the seventh is a fast charger

5 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

Dewalt 4 1/2" battery angle grinder,

I got the same grinder. Really like and use it often the only thing I see with iti is that the battery doesn't seen to last as long on it.

My big saw, which isn't really all that big is a 20 plus year old stihl. It calls for 50:1 so that's what I run. Stihl synthetic oil. Usually a gallon or 2 a year of fuel. My weed eater and small top handle saw are also sthil and 50 to 1. That way I have one gas can. Have an older small homelite that grandpa gave to me that calls for either 16 to 1 or 32 to 1. Don't use it hardly any more. I have considered going closer to 40 to 1 after reading what some of you guys have said.

I always assumed the newer stuff was built and designed for 50:1 and the older stuff calling for a different ratio was designed and built for that ratio.

When i mix saw/blower/trimmer gas it is 2 gallons of gas and one 2.5 gallon Husqvarna synthetic mix bottle. I run a little heavy, I figure the blower is WOT for tank after tank after tank, and its not hurting the saws any. Frankly with chainsaws, and anything else for that matter, all the oil in the world doesn’t mean much if they get run dirty or dull. I cut 15-20 cord a year between 2 houses and the sugar house. My 385XP has been the primary saw for that for 19 years now, still great compression and looks good too, I got a Johnsered last year with probably 1/4 of the time on it but it was a mess, fins packed full, oiler passages clogged, bar all burred up, and had been overheated from running dull and never being cleaned. A sharp saw throws chips, a dull saw throws powder and works hard. That powder builds up in the fins and it gets hot. 

• Like 1