Don’t speed in New York

1256pickett

11 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

This is common practice in Europe for years already. Not just camera's to catch someone speeding in the moment, but also systems where they check your average speed over a certain stretch of road. These last ones are pretty effective, because its not like usual, braking for the camera before speeding up again. In the Netherlands, when caught, they don't even photograph your face, just the license plate. The fine then is sent to the person owning the vehicle. This for privacy reasons. Figure yourself out who was speeding. It takes 1 to 2 weeks max before the ticket is received.

"geblitzt"

The MAJOR difference, however, is that they have reasonable speed limits. When both are implemented together, I could get behind it.

I'm not a Europe apologist by any means, and it's been almost 20 years since I lived there, but one of the areas they are better (at least in Germany) than the US is HANDS DOWN, traffic. Seems they invented the highway, then only exported half the know-how to implement and use them.

Reasonable speed limits, including variable limits dependent on the vehicle and the weather.

Mandatory actual driver education.

Hefty tickets for the oblivious ignorant morons who ride in the left lane, as well as jackasses who pass on the right.

Smooth, safe and fast highways.

Cobblestone streets in town that naturally slow vehicles down and seem to stand up better than asphalt.

Circles, and a TON of yield signs where stop signs are overkill. They're better, and they were implemented for fuel savings, not to mention that manual transmissions held on longer in Europe and they both led to fewer stalls. And presumably fewer BS "failure to stop" tickets.

I'm not a fan of:

Germany's strict rules about corrosion, but I think PA is just as bad -they'll fail your inspection for a spot of rust, I'm told.

No trucks allowed on certain roads/highways on certain days (weekends). Seems a little heavy-handed to me.

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

Have you seen the video of an RV taking it right over the center hump in Worthington shortly after the roundabouts were built?

No, but I did get to see them cleaning up a side dump load of POO southwest of Hastings Nebraska about a week after they opened up the new roundabout. There were absolutely NO signs warning that there was a roundabout at the high school. Before it was 65mph. 
I about jumped the one at Watertown when it first opened. RUDE AWAKENING!!

You do the same thing for years and they change stuff, messes with people. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Called the diverging diamond,  works great, just light a normwl stop light but no left turns against traffic. 

As for round abouts I love them. MN has put 3 in on a major hyw near Princeton, I could fly through them with the semi. way faster than stopping 3 times and grinding a loaded truck back up to 60.

Thing about round abouts is to remember it's a free for all, if the circles open GO!!!! The other cars have brakes too.

I know first responders near these new round abouts, accidents are near zero, vs the yearly deadly T bone accidents that stop signs cause.

I will admit the accident rate is way down on the roundabouts. I was always taught the rules of the road of yield the right of way. Now we have to yield the left of way. Bass ackward!

The accidents, when they happen, can be huge as they usually launch over the mound and go off into low earth orbit. They can be impressive. I guess I am against change. But I still will not go to Minneapolis/Saint Paul or New York. My choice!

7 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Called the diverging diamond,  works great, just light a normwl stop light but no left turns against traffic. 

As for round abouts I love them. MN has put 3 in on a major hyw near Princeton, I could fly through them with the semi. way faster than stopping 3 times and grinding a loaded truck back up to 60.

Thing about round abouts is to remember it's a free for all, if the circles open GO!!!! The other cars have brakes too.

I know first responders near these new round abouts, accidents are near zero, vs the yearly deadly T bone accidents that stop signs cause.

I will admit the accident rate is way down on the roundabouts. I was always taught the rules of the road of yield the right of way. Now we have to yield the left of way. Bass ackward!

The accidents, when they happen, can be huge as they usually launch over the mound and go off into low earth orbit. They can be impressive. I guess I am against change. But I still will not go to Minneapolis/Saint Paul or New York. My choice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cedar farm said:

If you pull up to one of those circles of **** and are not sure what exit to take, you hesitate of coarse.

why?  Brake, release go.  You have to know if your going rt lf or straight.  Not sure how thats different than any other intersection.  Blinker LF go into circle and go to the left.

7 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Why should we have to learn to look left? For the first 150 years of automotive history, we yielded the “right of way “! Now that we have people who can’t figure out left from right, we have round abouts? STUPID!

The best example of stupidity is Worthington MN. 2 round abouts and a stop light all within a half mile! Only good thing is they are 2 lane rounders and you don’t have to slow down even with a 50 foot trailer. 

What?  Rounda have been in other countries for 70+ years.  You should of been looking lf and rt anyways.  

Roundabouts are great, there is always traffic moving (or should be) and the through traffic has the ROW, just like merging onto the interstate. All turns are right hand turns which are the fastest and most efficient and safest turns to make. 
Diverging Diamonds interstate exchanges are popping up all around. If you can use stoplights and read signs and roadway markings they aren’t a problem. They’re safer without left hand turns across oncoming traffic and keep more traffic moving at all times. It definitely helps with keeping exit ramp traffic from backing up on to the interstate and causing stopped traffic and severe accidents. 

If you want to do some roundabouts then Carmel, IN, on the north side of Indy is your place to go. They have roundabouts going into roundabouts. Proudly known as the “Roundabout Capital of the USA”
68B776ED-3564-44DA-B9D3-EB0836543DF9.thumb.jpeg.bd02251240a52525dbbbef978a8366d7.jpeg

I talked with a trooper today and he said the cameras are only in work zones on the Thruway, not anywhere else. 

15 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

I talked with a trooper today and he said the cameras are only in work zones on the Thruway, not anywhere else. 

Sorry I’m skeptical. There’s too many cameras on it for them all to be toll readers. Maybe they haven’t turned them all on yet. Or maybe they have but didn’t tell the troopers they are out of a job. I’m just skeptical, I’m not taking a chance  

11 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

Sorry I’m skeptical. There’s too many cameras on it for them all to be toll readers. Maybe they haven’t turned them all on yet. Or maybe they have but didn’t tell the troopers they are out of a job. I’m just skeptical, I’m not taking a chance  

Take one for the team and go find out how many are active. We'll all be very grateful!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

Take one for the team and go find out how many are active. We'll all be very grateful!

I would love to help out but I can’t right away.

um…. Let’s see what’s a good excuse…. My truck is in the shop? Yea that’s it the flux capacitor is out. 😁😁

• Haha 1

On roundabouts - they work, however not without cost.  A rural intersection a couple miles from me was one of the first roundabouts in our county.  Intersection was formerly a two way stop and had it's share of t-bone accidents over the years.  Went to the public meeting on trying to fix the intersection, was two alternatives - install two more stop signs to make it a four way stop (cost $4000) or build a roundabout (1 million +).  Land had to be condemned, electrical service had to be run for lighting, etc.  Roundabout won out for "safety", never mind the cost.  We don't have enough money to fix the roads we have but these roundabouts are everywhere now.  And after they are built, the powers that be put sculptures and plantings in the middle of them which means you can't see who is coming very well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Skagit Farmer said:

On roundabouts - they work, however not without cost.  A rural intersection a couple miles from me was one of the first roundabouts in our county.  Intersection was formerly a two way stop and had it's share of t-bone accidents over the years.  Went to the public meeting on trying to fix the intersection, was two alternatives - install two more stop signs to make it a four way stop (cost $4000) or build a roundabout (1 million +).  Land had to be condemned, electrical service had to be run for lighting, etc.  Roundabout won out for "safety", never mind the cost.  We don't have enough money to fix the roads we have but these roundabouts are everywhere now.  And after they are built, the powers that be put sculptures and plantings in the middle of them which means you can't see who is coming very well.

The budgets for these road “improvements” is ridiculous. Several years ago we farmed some river bottom ground that was owned by a small town. Their sewage lagoon was inside the levee. In one of the Army Corps of Engineer created floods, the levee was blown out. Since it was government owned property all the bids to fix the levee were absolutely insane. I believe the lowest bid was $650,000. The town said they only had something like $400,000 budgeted to fix it so they weren’t going to do anything. We were farming it so we wanted it fixed. That’s when we found out about how much they had been quoted. We told them that was outrageous and said we could get someone for much, much less. They said there weren’t any restrictions on who could be hired. We got some local guys to fix it for $20,000, which the city payed. I told my brother we really, really messed up, because if we would have turned in a bid for $400,000 to fix the levee the city would have accepted it. We could have then hired the guys that they paid to fix it and pocketed $380,000. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Skagit Farmer said:

Might better focus in on fixing stupid but we all know how that works out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1256pickett said:

I would love to help out but I can’t right away.

um…. Let’s see what’s a good excuse…. My truck is in the shop? Yea that’s it the flux capacitor is out. 😁😁

Your in luck, Pickett, O Reilly shows them in the warehouse!!!!!

Screenshot_20231206_114653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.685026c95cdf224914751f26e96ab1ac.jpg

• Haha 2

I grew up with roundabouts in New England, we called them rotaries, so I never had any issues with them. Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to see out of state drivers do stupid things like turning left even though there were big arrows pointing the way and others well in advance warning of rotary traffic ahead.

Roundabouts work. They don't require a stop when there's no traffic yet control the speed of traffic. Right of way is simple. Traffic keeps moving.

It seems the rest of the country has suddenly discovered them. They're sprouting all over Colorado, where I spend a bit of time and at other places we stop. They're all over Europe. Once people get used to them They're way better than 4 way stops as no stop is necessary if traffic is light but you do have to slow down.

Some spectacular drunk driver videos launching over the middle but the same drunk could have been killing someone in the intersection when running the stop.

• Like 3