Don’t speed in New York

1256pickett

22 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

The big problem with ours is they made it too small. They had existing buildings on all four corners. I get along with it ok but you half to look halfway around and not just to your left. Once they get in the circle it’s full throttle. Not too hard for someone with a brain but we all know there are a bunch of scarecrows out there. 

Yes!  Here the N to S hiway has 2 lanes which are fsr better than the single lane on the E to W hiway.  Buddy on a highway says now its impossible to get tractor onto road to get to next field since 0 traffic breaks.  Basically park pickup on road with flashers to get tractor up and going

13 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’ve never had a speeding ticket in my life, but this kind of attempt at total control really makes me mad. The roundabouts they have around here have chunks missing out of the curbs and black tire marks all over them because they are too small for semi trailers. 

In some cases I would imagine that making a roadway unfriendly to trucks and other utility vehicles is intentional.  I can remember when I got the local paper reading about town and county board meetings where some people had an agenda to keep undesirables out.  One guy had a beef with the area short haul railroad.  Wanted the tracks pulled up.  I don't think despite his claims of personal genius that he ever did the math and found railroads can be very economical movers of bulk commodities.  Further maintenance for the railroad usually did not depend on the local tax base where as running more trucks to move the same products would wear the roads at a faster rate.

I don’t have anything against the concept of traffic circles really, but the dimwits that design them have no clue what it takes to get a semi truck through them. Most are sized just perfect for a Prius, some are just right for a Suburban.  The half-on dimwits that designed the confusion circle 5 miles from me didn’t center it on the main hi way (a State highway no less), the center is offset by a significant amount because they didn’t have the room they should have had to do it right.  

• Like 4

I love round abouts. Especially in high traffic areas as long as people pay attention and you keep moving they work fantastic. I know of locations that if they stopped traffic either 2 way or 4 way stop it would be immediate gridlock and accidents. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

In some cases I would imagine that making a roadway unfriendly to trucks and other utility vehicles is intentional.  I can remember when I got the local paper reading about town and county board meetings where some people had an agenda to keep undesirables out.  One guy had a beef with the area short haul railroad.  Wanted the tracks pulled up.  I don't think despite his claims of personal genius that he ever did the math and found railroads can be very economical movers of bulk commodities.  Further maintenance for the railroad usually did not depend on the local tax base where as running more trucks to move the same products would wear the roads at a faster rate.

I’m sure that is sometimes the case. There are self appointed geniuses all over. They want this or that moved without any consideration for what it takes or the effects of doing so. They want everything, just not near them. 

2 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Sioux Falls put in one of those $%^& roundabouts on the south side. One car goes and the 5-10 behind that car follow right behind them. There I sat. Take turns. Yah right. 15 or so years ago my wife pulled up to one in MO about two in the morning. Wasnt sure where to exit. 20 miles later figured out I made a wrong decision. 

What is that new diamond Y, or whatever they call it, that makes you drive in the wrong lane at 41st St and I-29.

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I will now never go to New York, EVER!

32 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

What is that new diamond Y, or whatever they call it, that makes you drive in the wrong lane at 41st St and I-29.

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I will now never go to New York, EVER!

Called the diverging diamond,  works great, just light a normwl stop light but no left turns against traffic. 

As for round abouts I love them. MN has put 3 in on a major hyw near Princeton, I could fly through them with the semi. way faster than stopping 3 times and grinding a loaded truck back up to 60.

Thing about round abouts is to remember it's a free for all, if the circles open GO!!!! The other cars have brakes too.

I know first responders near these new round abouts, accidents are near zero, vs the yearly deadly T bone accidents that stop signs cause.

• Like 1

The major highway locations where they installed them have reduced accidents by a huge amount on 1 location and traffic flow is way more efficient in the others. We actually had real traffic circles in our large city for decades in select locations but they function slightly differently with inner and outer lanes and up to 5 entry-exit points, those ones seem to bewilder folks never exposed to them before which I guess is natural. Strangely enough those type seem to be on a slow course for removal and the new type are on the increase. The roundabout reminds me of Europe where they seem to work quite well. 

• Like 1

On the speeding tickets do they take into consideration speedometer errors? I have been under the impression that there can be up to a ten percent error which seems to be backed up by federal regulation effective in 2005 and found in 49 CFR §393.82 that provides a car's speedometer must be accurate to within a plus or minus 5 mph at a speed of 50 mph. 

I realize many people do push that limit though.

1 minute ago, hardtail said:

The major highway locations where they installed them have reduced accidents by a huge amount on 1 location and traffic flow is way more efficient in the others. We actually had real traffic circles in our large city for decades in select locations but they function slightly differently with inner and outer lanes and up to 5 entry-exit points, those ones seem to bewilder folks never exposed to them before which I guess is natural. Strangely enough those type seem to be on a slow course for removal and the new type are on the increase. The roundabout reminds me of Europe where they seem to work quite well. 

Photo radar has been a huge cash grab here for years, they only go after the registered owner and no demerits against your license. Usually present at high volume locations that generate lots of income, and there is a 3rd party vendor for the hardware and contracts. I almost deem them unsafe as traffic can be flowing along and suddenly someone in front jams on their brakes because of a car sitting beside the road could be a photo trap, almost creating accidents when they claim to want to reduce them.

5 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I’m of the opinion that most of our ancestors left Europe for a reason. We don’t need to establish a new Europe here again. 
Please take your round abouts, camera speed enhancements and all of the rest back to Europe with you!

There are plenty of things I despice about Europe, but on the other hand, there are also plenty of things I despice about the USA. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. In Europe, safety nets for those who lose their jobs or get ill for example are better arranged and we have way better working hours and infinitely more holiday days. Also, studying is much cheaper here and I honestly think more people go study because of this reasoln. On the other hand, all of this costs a lot of money and I'm getting absolutely nuts everytime I see my parents paying half their income in income tax. Also, I feel like you guys have more freedom (but maybe this is just a stereotype that used to be true).
And about roundabouts, why the hate? They work great on any road except the main traffic arteries. It prevents all this unnecessary stopping for traffic lights all the time when no one is waiting.

Why should we have to learn to look left? For the first 150 years of automotive history, we yielded the “right of way “! Now that we have people who can’t figure out left from right, we have round abouts? STUPID!

The best example of stupidity is Worthington MN. 2 round abouts and a stop light all within a half mile! Only good thing is they are 2 lane rounders and you don’t have to slow down even with a 50 foot trailer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Photo radar has been a huge cash grab here for years, they only go after the registered owner and no demerits against your license. Usually present at high volume locations that generate lots of income, and there is a 3rd party vendor for the hardware and contracts. I almost deem them unsafe as traffic can be flowing along and suddenly someone in front jams on their brakes because of a car sitting beside the road could be a photo trap, almost creating accidents when they claim to want to reduce them.

These ones in New York are permanent mounted overhead. They laid the groundwork when they went to cashless tolls. The first time I was on the thruway after the toll readers were put up I thought to myself they don’t need two toll readers between exits? I kinda knew this was coming. 

• Like 1

I don't mind roundabouts, I just wish they'd quit making the center a big hill with vegetation to create a blind spot. Would be much safer if you could see all the way through and around it. 

• Like 2

Coming to a population center near you

roundabout.jpg.284d99ff0548cf94b83f9cc0a005bf53.jpg

I am going to defer my opinion of roustabouts to you guys that have mastered them

I will stick to intersections where sometimes you stop to visit with the pickup coming from teh other way and if someone else comes by they can stop and visit too or just smile and wave and drive around us🤠

signed: behind the times and proud of it😄 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Farmall 1466 said:

There are plenty of things I despice about Europe, but on the other hand, there are also plenty of things I despice about the USA. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. In Europe, safety nets for those who lose their jobs or get ill for example are better arranged and we have way better working hours and infinitely more holiday days. Also, studying is much cheaper here and I honestly think more people go study because of this reasoln. On the other hand, all of this costs a lot of money and I'm getting absolutely nuts everytime I see my parents paying half their income in income tax. Also, I feel like you guys have more freedom (but maybe this is just a stereotype that used to be true).
And about roundabouts, why the hate? They work great on any road except the main traffic arteries. It prevents all this unnecessary stopping for traffic lights all the time when no one is waiting.

They are trying to implement everything you mention here. If you are a lazy employee or 3rd generation deadbeat, times have never been greater. If you are an employer or hard worker, your life has never been more difficult. If you want to go to college until you’re 40 and then work 35 hours a week for a few years and then retire, someone else is going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting to make that possible. I realize you probably don’t have first hand knowledge of the situation, but I can assure you the American “poor” are well fed. I’ve probably already said too much, but I could go on and on. I worked a 100+ hours a week when I was younger and I don’t think it would hurt most of the young people today to do the same. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Man.... here i like the roundabout.  Besides idio....i mean Canadians they work fine.  Otherwise we could hardly get over the highway.  I get people dont understand them yet.  But you yield left car.  If that car on the left aint in the circle you FRIIIKIN GO.  Here that is the main issue.  People sit with their head in their.....   and wait.  No ONE has a right of way.  It all equal and you go if car to you left isnt in.  So simple.  I even just creep out in the KW and "cut guys" off.  They honk and such but hey you were 20' from that line on the road and i was rolling in.  I HAVE the circle now cupcakes.  Kid just got out of drivers ed and they really worked the roundabout procedures thankfully.  And turn signals.  What? You cant use them while turning ? Idiots

If you pull up to one of those circles of **** and are not sure what exit to take, you hesitate of coarse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Injpumped said:

I don't mind roundabouts, I just wish they'd quit making the center a big hill with vegetation to create a blind spot. Would be much safer if you could see all the way through and around it. 

They have to purposely block the view straight through. otherwise drivers would see headlights straight ahead,  and drive straight ahead, vs turning right. Think at night driving or low light conditions. 

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Why should we have to learn to look left? For the first 150 years of automotive history, we yielded the “right of way “! Now that we have people who can’t figure out left from right, we have round abouts? STUPID!

The best example of stupidity is Worthington MN. 2 round abouts and a stop light all within a half mile! Only good thing is they are 2 lane rounders and you don’t have to slow down even with a 50 foot trailer. 

Have you seen the video of an RV taking it right over the center hump in Worthington shortly after the roundabouts were built?

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

roundabout.jpg.284d99ff0548cf94b83f9cc0a005bf53.jpg

This photo reminds me of the plaza around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.  It is about 5-6 lanes wide around the monument which makes it total chaos!  I watched traffic for about 10 minutes and witnessed several close calls.  It was better than TV.  The funny thing was that there were a couple of empty rollbacks cherry-picking around the edges!

• Haha 4