Cast iron cookware

nomorejohndeere

I feel like the average cast iron collector doesn’t have the kind of loot to be spending that sort of money. I suppose some might sell for $25 and some might sell for 250. I just gave a C-note for a waffle iron like these, has a damaged handle, but is serviceable, a few of those 14” Griswold and it could work out, but selling it all would be a ton of work. 

IMG_3148.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, acem said:

Few people can pay $75,000 for a collection of cast iron...

Maybe some antique dealer, but man, you would sit on that a while.

• Like 1

I have a good bit of cast iron but it's all in use. Some more often than others!

The skillets I use are older. I have a few Dutch ovens I use for camp cooking (mostly with boy scouts) that are modern imports. They still work good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MoeSzyslak said:

That stuff will never move, the interest in cast iron is dying since the only people who have interest in it are dying out also. Will probably be sold for near scrap price in the end.

you are probably right 

Somewhere I have a very small skillet my grandmother Viola got when she was a girl. It has cast into the bottom Hillsboro? Illinois fair, 1894.

I need to find it and hang it in the kitchen.

Mom and Dad used it as an ashtray...

11 minutes ago, acem said:

Somewhere I have a very small skillet my grandmother Viola got when she was a girl. It has cast into the bottom Hillsboro? Illinois fair, 1894.

Mom and Dad used it as

. I have also seen purpose made cast iron skillet ash trays. 

Actually, I had an auction a couple of years ago and the cast iron was one of my best-selling items. Most of the stuff sold from 300 to over 1,000 dollars apiece. Other than some cake molds, were mostly pans. Griswald and Wagner were made an hour away, so there is no shortage of it here. Furniture and glass you can't give away, but the cast seems to still be holding on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

Actually, I had an auction a couple of years ago and the cast iron was one of my best-selling items. Most of the stuff sold from 300 to over 1,000 dollars apiece. Other than some cake molds, were mostly pans. Griswald and Wagner were made an hour away, so there is no shortage of it here. Furniture and glass you can't give away, but the cast seems to still be holding on.

Cast does hold value, but 3,000 pieces? For the asking price, and the length of time it would take to turn the $75,000 into a reasonable return, how many years would it take? If the average is $25.00 per item, held for maybe 10 years till the last piece is sold, what should a reasonable re-sale price be? $75.00 per item? 

He must have really good floor joists. My wife and I go to a lot of household sales and flea markets. He will die with that collection at that price.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:55 PM, acem said:

I have a little cast iron skillet in the shop that I use for just that purpose! A friend of mine got it on a visit to the Lodge factory or some such trip. 

As for the collection, I know a guy around here that makes pretty good side money (retired) buying old cast iron, cleaning it up, and then reselling it. I doubt he'd go for such a collection, but I'm sure there is someone out there that will. $75k is pretty steep though, my bet is they'll cut the price in half before they even get any interest. 

Mac

On 12/3/2023 at 10:55 PM, acem said:

Griswold and Wagner both made very small skillets that were ashtrays with cut outs for cigarettes/cigars and one with a holder for book matches also.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:45 AM, zleinenbach said:

that’s like 9 75# ih weights nowadays 😁😁😉

I have 9, 75# marked weights I will sell to the first $75K that shows up and will help you load them.CD6A258C-B452-4FE0-95AA-27F5FE602939.gif.7bc71412f8682d00843c8c7588e7a046.gif

If you call in the next 12 minutes and say the coupon code RedpowerDiscount I will knock $6K off the total. 

• Haha 4