Tools that just don't get used (regularly)anymore. Big or small.. .

Farmerboy72

34 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

In the day before they made quart oil cans with a neck you got a can of oil literally. You needed a way to pour it out and punch the can. You shoved it in the can. It opened it then you could pour the oil out.

Probably one of the few guys under 40 that knew what that was

I can say I learned something. I wonder if look deep in the back of the toolshed workbench I might come across one. Grandpa never threw anything away.

Just now, Farmerboy72 said:

I can say I learned something. I wonder if look deep in the back of the toolshed workbench I might come across one. Grandpa never threw anything away.

We have 2 around here.

My Great Grandpa and my Grandpa were the same wau.

One of them was even stabbed into a can of IH low ash oil when I found the one at my Great Grandpa's farm ( now mine)

• Like 1

My dad had a funnel for oil cans. You put the oil can in and it had a lever on the back of the funnel that pushed the can down and pierced it. It held it while it drained. It was still a useful funnel long after oil cans weren’t a thing anymore. I hadn’t thought of it in years. I think one of my brothers ran over it and ruined it. I just looked and found one just like it on eBay. I should buy it.

IMG_0458.thumb.png.352d3aae5cfdddcadc389cb9a3260212.png

Funny story. 

Back when I was a teenager some friends and I were working on an old car. Some neighbor girls came over to hang out. I asked a friend to get the soldering iron because I need to use it.

Karen got a funny look on her face and asked what we were going to do with the sodomy iron???

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Soldering irons. From the days of a blow torch style soldering setup. image.thumb.jpeg.1b160dfdfb5e9ce3d4cfbacf4a74e6b7.jpeg

If it was big enough i would use it to repair syrup pans. 

33 minutes ago, acem said:

Karen got a funny look on her face and asked what we were going to do with the sodomy iron???

Well, did you show her? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

Any corded power tool (drill, saw, impact) pretty much lives on the shelf around here. 

I was thinking just that. The first cordless tool to replace fully a corded on in the truck was the sawzall, if i were doing heavy demolition I would still want a corded one, but the battery job is every bit as good, just chews up battery.

5 hours ago, mader656 said:

3 point auger, goldenrod fence stretcher, fencing pliers,  Nail hammer, Come along, just to name a few 

I’ll argue the fencing pliers are the duct tape of tools. Take them, a tire iron, duct tape and baler twine away and I’d never get anything done. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Never shot a boot have you? Not much bothers you after that. 

You seen the inside of any of work boots. You would die of thirst before you to took a sip from them.

5 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

Any corded power tool (drill, saw, impact) pretty much lives on the shelf around here. 

I was thinking just that. The first cordless tool to replace fully a corded on in the truck was the sawzall, if i were doing heavy demolition I would still want a corded one, but the battery job is every bit as good, just chews up battery.

19 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

You seen the inside of any of work boots. You would die of thirst before you to took a sip from them.

When we were in college (forestry school) it was a common party occurrence. Pour in the beer and down the hatch. 

16 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Ok I have to ask, what is it?

I didn't feel old until you asked this !!!!! I think i still have a couple laying around somewhere.

16 hours ago, acem said:

image.png.0da51de6427b3d24ab40cb79fe5c78c6.png

I remember these when I was young. Dad had several hanging in the milk room on the old barn, wonder if he still has them? I also remember metal cans of Hershey’s syrup, Hi-C, etc that you used a can opener and basically opened the same way.

I pretty much have an entire shed that would fit into this thread. Not sure why I have all this stuff…takes up a lot of space.

IMG_4626.jpeg

• Like 5

Saw wrench for changing inserted tooth saw bits on circular saw blades.

2 sets of Double whipple trees.

1606160372895.jpg

2 sets double treesa.jpg

• Like 2

Some real antiques laying around from way back in the day.

20171009_094118.jpg

20171009_094204.jpg

20171009_094304.jpg

20171009_094314.jpg

20171009_094329.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, supermechanic said:

A.O. Smith, the company that broke thousands of small dairy farms.

Where I grew up they were called Blue Tombstones.

I don't know, but would suspect that either and/or both lenders and university extensions actively promoted these at one time.  Does anyone here know?