This buds for you!

acem

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Concords were famous here for 12” spacing but a 3” spread boot.  Worked good in nice mellow soils but not good in hard gumbo soils.  

thats what we had a concord with dutch openers. and they are not for heavy soil.  the seed hawk  or seed master with the narrow knife is probably the best all around opener you can find.

It's funny you guys are discussing drills and different row widths. I had to go out on a 620 to do an update on it...and it just so happened to be hooked up to a Horsch Anderson air seeder. Between 2010-2015, all the BTOs out here had to have one in order to plant wheat. This one is a smaller one; just a 40-footer. Most of the ones in my area were the 60 15 model, 60' with shanks on 15" spacing. Now, the 15" shanks had spreaders on them like dale560 talks about on the Concords...they would spread the seed 4-5" wide...and then they would deep band fertilizer in between. With that setup, those things pulled extremely hard. We sold probably 15-20 600 Quadtrac Steigers from 2011-2014, with most guys wanting them just for pulling these air seeders. It was not uncommon to see those 600s run at 100-105% engine load for hours pulling those things. Everybody said they raised their best wheat crop with those things. This one is just used for putting down fertilizer anymore...no wheat raised here anymore.

20231211_112202.jpg

20231211_135832.jpg

20231211_135845.jpg

• Like 1

No $$$ to be made raising it. This was about an hour east of me, pretty much the western edge of the corn belt anymore. Wheat yields are probably 60-80 bpa there on average, soybeans are probably 50-60bpa on average, corn yields are probably 150-180 bpa.

Bankers won't even hardly give operating loans for raising wheat around here anymore....they'll loan you all the money in the world to raise corn & soybeans. Part of it is crop insurance, part of it is the elevators always have a reason to discount your wheat....light test weight, dockage, protein too low(some years if the protein is too high), aflatoxin, poor milling quality, you name it.

With corn or soybeans, you pull up to the elevator and sell....corn or soybeans. The only thing they may care about is if its high moisture at the early part of harvest

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SDman said:

No $$$ to be made raising it. This was about an hour east of me, pretty much the western edge of the corn belt anymore. Wheat yields are probably 60-80 bpa there on average, soybeans are probably 50-60bpa on average, corn yields are probably 150-180 bpa.

Bankers won't even hardly give operating loans for raising wheat around here anymore....they'll loan you all the money in the world to raise corn & soybeans. Part of it is crop insurance, part of it is the elevators always have a reason to discount your wheat....light test weight, dockage, protein too low(some years if the protein is too high), aflatoxin, poor milling quality, you name it.

With corn or soybeans, you pull up to the elevator and sell....corn or soybeans. The only thing they may care about is if its high moisture at the early part of harvest

Neighbor we farmed next to has a 60 ft horsch. He seeded 40 acres while I filled my 200 bushel concord cart. He had the nicest crops I saw in the area. A jd paralink the other neighbor used was maybe a bit better stand. The horsch guy seeded 100 acres of wheat on a fill with a double big anhydrous 2800 gall tank behind

On 12/11/2023 at 2:03 PM, dale560 said:

thats what we had a concord with dutch openers. and they are not for heavy soil.  the seed hawk  or seed master with the narrow knife is probably the best all around opener you can find.

That two shank setup seed master and hawk uses for placing the fertilizer off to the side leaves rough seed trench in our hard gumbo ground.  Some guys have tried them with mixed to poor results.  My opinion only, the best setup is Bourgault.  A single shank with a narrow point like our regular hoe drill and V shaped packer wheel with mid row banders you can lift out of the way if you aren’t double shooting.  Some of our ground doesn’t need enough fertilizer to double shoot.  I’d have one if I could get one from somewhere else other than our CaseIH dealer.   Far as disc drills go the one that has my interest is the K-Hart drills.  I have a neighbor with one and so far he’s had good luck with it.