This buds for you!

acem

Interesting piece about "Nebraska" so I don't just how much other was confused , and how much was farmer BS. The Yielder drills did not bankrupt any that I know of here. But most jumped  all over the place with CRP land retirement at $49.99 per acre per year to do nothing. Somebody leaked the county top limit of $50 per acre , 😉 so many did not push the limit and take the full 50. 😉 For context the county yield on barley (the most common crop) was 1 ton to the acre every other year.

If you read to the end some good pictures of IH crawlers. As well as a shot of Gleaner MH2's on the sidehill. Which is the machines I have the most hours on. May not be the best but put a lot of acres and tons throw them back 40 years ago.

12 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7160.jpeg

Thank you sir for all your info. Had to find morenci  mich. on the map. Never heard of that town. It is located right next to the ohio border, bout 2 hours south of me.

I first saw a Yielder drill back in June. Thought what on earth is this thing. I had never heard of them before. 

Not to be off topic but a could Wagner’s for some eye candy. Both pics were on the same farm. 
5140B64E-49C2-4CB1-96D7-144BC8DC03C4.thumb.png.34632c0ebdb4631c5c6f1bee406bf226.png

4B145AFC-B670-4AD4-8865-2AEB3272A8D1.thumb.png.b67282cd215cd4c1c19a5fec3170df48.png

• Like 4

On 12/3/2023 at 11:42 PM, Cool1566 said:

18-20% interest causes a lot of problems and failures. Early to mid eighties was a horrific time for a lot of people. I’m sure most everyone is feeling the pain of increased interest compared to a few years ago. The pain is real but nowhere near 18% real. 

I remember rolling 7% notes over at 18% in 1980 because of a severe drought that summer.  Then had two more consecutive droughts in '81 and '82.  Took me out pretty quick.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Not to be off topic but a could Wagner’s for some eye candy. Both pics were on the same farm. 

Nice pics.  Posting Wagner photos on a Big Bud thread is like posting Oliver pics on a White thread.  It’s not off topic:)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I remember rolling 7% notes over at 18% in 1980 because of a severe drought that summer.  Then had two more consecutive droughts in '81 and '82.  Took me out pretty quick.

Same here.

Dad barely made it and it took years to dig out of the hole 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

My dad bought a brand new 4420 combine for the fall of 1980. He said the dealer offered to let him out of the deal because there was not much to combine here either. He still took it because he had ordered it. The hard times for him didn’t start until after he bought a farm around 1984 or so. He was a relatively small time operator with almost no debt in the early 80’s, which turned out to be a good thing. He was also able to buy a new 4440 in 1982. I know it was dry here, but he must have made a little money. He probably would have sold his farm in the late 80’s, but it wasn’t worth what he owed on it for a long time. 

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Nice pics.  Posting Wagner photos on a Big Bud thread is like posting Oliver pics on a White thread.  It’s not off topic:)

Well that’s actually what I was thinking. I don’t really know a lot of the history of the Big Bud’s/Wagner tractors. So if there’s very much commonality between the two I could really say. However I would guess there is some….. just by looking at the two tractors brands. 

35 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Just think, if it wasn’t for John Deere, there might not have been Big Bud. 

Ha true.  But Wagner wasn’t put out business.  They made logging and mining equipment too.  Only the tractor line came to an end.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 7:57 PM, sandhiller said:

Cool story in that link, thank you!

A lot of similarities between the Sandhills and the Palouse which I didn't realize and some unique features which only the Sandhills seem to possess, very interesting and the challenges of responsibly farming it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Ha true.  But Wagner wasn’t put out business.  They made logging and mining equipment too.  Only the tractor line came to an end.  

I remember seeing one at an auction in Melfort SK in the mid-90’s.  My dad made a point to take me over to it and look it over/tell me it was a rare beast.  This thread brought back a fond memory!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

What was it about the Yielders that cost them the farm?  Upfront cost with rising rates or was there a yield problem from the drought?

IMG_7165.jpeg

Have seen them??  I’m guessing the amount of iron and materials is why they cost so much.  Probably paying for some of the tech too being a true no till drill.  

12 minutes ago, midnightman said:

Looked up the Yielder drills as I had never heard of them.  Made me think of the new Seedmaster air drills that a couple of people bought locally this spring. D079C934-2627-4506-9927-FB8EE424075A.jpeg.7cb1d35ef1a7c5998345d057d5ee0b17.jpeg

They make the tractors pulling them look like a toy.

My JD dealer is a dealer for seed master too.  They had a company rep give us a presentation last winter on the merits of this drill.  Nobody was buying into 15” spacing part.

23 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7165.jpeg

Have seen them??  I’m guessing the amount of iron and materials is why they cost so much.  Probably paying for some of the tech too being a true no till drill.  

I’m guessing that is a Steiger Tiger on there? It looks like it is pulling a barn across the field. That is just an insane amount of iron for an implement that size. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’m guessing that is a Steiger Tiger on there? It looks like it is pulling a barn across the field. That is just an insane amount of iron for an implement that size. 

That’s what I was thinking - those Yielder drills seem too narrow for the size of big Steigers and Big Buds.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I think so too.  The ones that were in this neighborhood I think they had Big Bud 525s in front of them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midnightman said:

I haven’t talked to either of the guys since harvest to see what they thought. The spacing seemed way too far when the crop was coming up, but looked good all through the season once the canopy closed in

The guy did admit they saw a slight yield decrease in some situations with 15” spacing .  15” might work in wetter areas for sure and I know wide spacing can be desirable in chick peas.  But 30-40 bu wheat doesn’t canopy over very good here in anything wider than 10”.  The whole thing flies in the face of Phil Needem who advocates narrower spacing is better not that he is the right all the time.  All our drills are in 7.5”.