06 Series Range Linkage

chevenstein

How is this little cam in the range shift linkage on an 06 series tractor supposed to go together?  It almost looks like the hole is not round.  Is there a procedure to adjust this?  Do I just push the cam down into the hole on the bracket and adjust the coupler to where both ranges and reverse are selectable?  I feel kind of dumb for not being able to figure this out and searching the topic turns up much dealing with the whole shifting mechanism, but not this one part.

IMG_20231201_210933315.jpg

The cam isn't oem. Looks like someone needed more travel for reverse or high range? I've seen the housing around the shift levers taken off for more travel,might work for a while. Reverse fork and shaft keyway wear is pretty common. 

I did not expect the part to be aftermarket!  I guess I'll just pop it back into the arm and see if I need to turn it at all.  It's a tight fit, so it shouldn't come out easily.  There's a little slop in the handle itself, but the rest of the linkage is pretty tight after being gone through by @CIHTECH.  Before taking it to his shop it was almost impossible to get the tractor into reverse.

Turn the cam so that it is all the way "long" -- and spot it with your welder

The linkage is worn enough you will need the extra travel gave by having the hole as far out as possible

Yes, the tractors came with a similar cam , but it was spotted in place -- looks like and aftermarket "improvement" 
still adjust all the way out and spot in place

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Just the opposite if it was me. Long will shift easier but handle would have to travel further. With it turned in short. It will take a little more effort but there will be more room in the quadrant.

Yeah , you are correct

I was looking at the picture wrong

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Tech said:

It actually is OEM, part number 385146R2.  It was used on the early models.  I have seen a few of them on tractors years ago.  I think that it was to give additional adjustment so the shift lever can be centered in the shift quadrant.

How early? My 706 is a 1964 and doesn't have that. Had short hydraulic levers and round fenders when I bought it. 

On 12/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, chevenstein said:

This tractor is pretty early: serial number 861, which would make it the 360th 706 built.

Mine is number 9366 so a few between ours. It's the oldest tractors on the farm, (until I get my 460 back together.) 

I'd have to do some parts book checking. But I believe some of the real early tractors had a non-adjustable ball joint link. So, which would prove the point of having that adjustable cam.

In this case, just tighten it down, then use the link to adjust the lever.

7 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I'd have to do some parts book checking. But I believe some of the real early tractors had a non-adjustable ball joint link. So, which would prove the point of having that adjustable cam.

In this case, just tighten it down, then use the link to adjust the lever.

I was wondering about that, why 2 places to adjust it.? 

Found it in the parts book, Item 25. I can't remember ever seeing one of those. Never too old to learn I guess! 👍My 706 is in the serial number range to have it. Been a while since I've had that cover off, should take a look.  

KIMG0326.thumb.JPG.0659685fd891998ddbc01de12c291e62.JPGKIMG0327.thumb.JPG.3b59db52022cd7d45385a4aaf232c1b0.JPG

On 12/2/2023 at 1:22 PM, Red Tech said:

It actually is OEM, part number 385146R2.  It was used on the early models.  I have seen a few of them on tractors years ago.  I think that it was to give additional adjustment so the shift lever can be centered in the shift quadrant.

That is right. Used on the 706/806 models only.

#25 in the parts diagram. Mostly discontinued and sells for around $40 if you can find one.

This was not a wasted day. I learned something!