Deer hunting...........Ive never been but here is what I think of modern day deer hunting

Hydro70

@Hydro70hmmmm not sure what to say regarding your perspective we all have one and mine is different - doesnt make mine or yours any more valuable or accurate 

I choose to do what I do and am fine with others doing what they want/like unless its unlawful/unethical. Honestly its none of my business. 

God created critters and they were getting killed quickly in the Bible. 

no baiting here, no running them with dogs, i wear whatever the weather requires, sometimes sunglasses and short sleeves, sometimes insulated coveralls that dual for chores and lumberjacking with my stihl so full of animals poop on boots and gas/oil smells from the chainsaw. 

hunted with an umbrella, hunted with a heater, hunted with wooden arrows and a recurve, take your pick, ive used modern and antique stuff, I can say this with every animal I have ever chased/pursued. They ahve the advantage no matter what I try. 

Ive harvested animals for shelters, I have harvested for neighbors who need the meat. 

Ive had pretty good luck getting critters with my car out of season 

• Like 10

It's not like any of the modern stuff causes the deer to walk up in a trance and stick their mouths over the barrel of your gun. You've still got to hunt, and lots of guys still end up with nothing at the end of the season.

At least they're hunting. How it was done 50 years ago... Well, let's see... A bunch of guys with a bunch of beer start at one side of woods, hooting and hollering as they pushed the deer through to the other side, where several others would be waiting with beers and shotguns ready to fire at anything that came out the other side. About once a season you'd hear on the local news about someone getting shot.

Don't hold your hands up to your head like antlers. Someone would mistake you for an 8-point buck and start blasting.

antlers.jpg.a4e20803da93e0bf8dbae55a65f0e631.jpg

• Like 4

Different animal but hog hunting is big too.

Hogs are not regulated as game in Arkansas  but are regulated separately.

Aerial gunning is legal on hogs in Arkansas, Texas and some other states.

I would love to be a door gunner in a helicopter shooting hogs. I love the feel of a warm belt fed!

https://www.helibacon.com/

WAIT … SO YOU’RE TELLING US YOU’VE NEVER SHOT MACHINE GUNS FROM A HELICOPTER?!

image.png.716ff2b540e8cae8f5a1688900525fcf.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Everyone was so wound up I thought I’d try this natural camo. I came out to the attack shack and am trying my best….. Its a balmy 45° currently so I’ll be fine. (No artificial heaters either)

C5F79B07-DC08-411E-8A47-24D4A1C7A9C0.jpeg

Cousin to Sasquatch?

1 hour ago, acem said:

would love to be a door gunner in a helicopter shooting hogs.

Me too, but helicopters scare the bejaysus out of me! Besides that, $5500 for two hours is too rich for this poor old hillbilly. 

Watched some guys on YouTube blasting hogs with a 1919 Browning belt fed and a Sten gun from the back of a humvee. Now that I could go for!

Mac

9 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Me too, but helicopters scare the bejaysus out of me! Besides that, $5500 for two hours is too rich for this poor old hillbilly. 

Watched some guys on YouTube blasting hogs with a 1919 Browning belt fed and a Sten gun from the back of a humvee. Now that I could go for!

Mac

Break your neck, they will take you for a ride and bill your insurance. 

14 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Break your neck, they will take you for a ride and bill your insurance. 

That's true. Step-dad had an accident a few years ago, and got a ride in one from Mtn View to Little Rock. That 25 minute trip cost him 50 grand, of which his ARDOT insurance only paid about half. Life flight is a great thing, saved his life quite literally. But he'll spend the rest of his life paying for that ride. Bloody shame.

Mac

5 minutes ago, MacAR said:

That's true. Step-dad had an accident a few years ago, and got a ride in one from Mtn View to Little Rock. That 25 minute trip cost him 50 grand, of which his ARDOT insurance only paid about half. Life flight is a great thing, saved his life quite literally. But he'll spend the rest of his life paying for that ride. Bloody shame.

Mac

Yup, my son is going through that too. 

Not near as serious as your dad, but ambulance crew called in life flight because of a back injury on the ranch. 

Not sure it was even a 20 minute ride but he will be paying for a long long time, I think his was close to $40K and ranch employer only paid 5K of it

That or declare medical bankruptcy but he is too proud to do that. 

Not slamming the life flight crew but I would like to have words with the EMT's that called them in. They took him from the ranch to Mullen (20 miles) in the Rescue Unit and then loaded him onto Life Flight to North Platte (70 miles)

But I won't because we are lucky to have the volunteers out here, save many lives. 

Sometimes quick decisions need to be made and may not always be the best ones

I hope after their hot wash, they reevaluated their decisions that night. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Yup, my son is going through that too. 

Not near as serious as your dad, but ambulance crew called in life flight because of a back injury on the ranch. 

Not sure it was even a 20 minute ride but he will be paying for a long long time, I think his was close to $40K and ranch employer only paid 5K of it

That or declare medical bankruptcy but he is too proud to do that. 

Not slamming the life flight crew but I would like to have words with the EMT's that called them in. They took him from the ranch to Mullen (20 miles) in the Rescue Unit and then loaded him onto Life Flight to North Platte (70 miles)

But I won't because we are lucky to have the volunteers out here, save many lives. 

Sometimes quick decisions need to be made and may not always be the best ones

I hope after their hot wash, they reevaluated their decisions that night. 

"Rescue ""  helicopters are  free, down under.... We do have big fund raising days etc ...plus the Govt  under rights them...

...and the work of the many volunteer groups is absolutely   priceless....

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cobfly said:

I always find it humorous, that someone who has not participated in a said activity, thinks their input on said activity, has meaning.

I’ve heard people suggest how I should farm but I don’t tell them how to do whatever it is they do. Other than I’d like to tell them to shut up!

One is a sister in law that tells my brother how she doesn’t like things she sees with livestock when she comes to Iowa. 

I for one think the deer population needs thinned and I don’t care how. When I was growing up it was rare to see a deer it seemed. Now I see them damn near daily everywhere I go. I think there is a lot of needless hunting stuff bought but it’s their money. We all need to have something we enjoy to do.

• Like 4

Deer are a crop, no different than timber. Needs to be managed and if you are harvesting with legal means - have at it.  Never hit a deer with your vehicle yet have you?

If you don’t like how it’s done, don’t do it. If you don’t like THAT it’s done, move along and let other people have their fun. Whining about something you don’t even participate in, well…

If you think hunters go overboard with camo and rifles, smoke would roll out of your ears if you looked how much bass fishermen spend on that sport. $90,000 for a 75 mph boat (double that, gotta get a jacked up truck to pull it), $12,000 for electronics to “see” the fish, $500 per rod/reel set up - need at least 10 combos (you can’t drop-shot with a flippin stick!), 1000 lbs of the latest tackle from Japan (‘cause it’s just better) and a $200 silk screened pro tournament jersey to support all of your sponsors who give you a 10% discount on a spool of line once a year.

Just so you can yank a 2 lb fish with the brain the size of a pea from 2 feet of water in less than 2 seconds and feel like you are Bill Dance.

Hunters are just amateurs… 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

On 12/2/2023 at 1:10 AM, vtfireman85 said:

I hit one with a Jeep…but it had a lift, so thats #1 I guess, it’s a green/brown/gray Jeep, so that’s #2 those 110W KC spots really reach out there and extend my vision so I suppose they are high powered optics 🤔

They are very elusive.  I seen 2 in friends backyard in town and off a main road the other day a 4pt (8pt) buck was eating on the shoulder in sunny 50 degree 2pm weather.  HARD to find em my "hunting" friends say...

8 hours ago, mike newman said:

"Rescue ""  helicopters are  free, down under.... We do have big fund raising days etc ...plus the Govt  under rights them...

...and the work of the many volunteer groups is absolutely   priceless....

Mike

That is a good deal

I would be fine with some of my tax dollars going to fund Life Flight companies. 

I believe then helo's here are all or mostly privately owned and contract with hospitals to call them when needed. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Hydro70 's comments in the original post. It all depends on where you live, however, and the status of your deer population.  If you are overrun with venison on the hoof- then have at it-towers/fancy scopes or whatever. 

Me- I prefer simpler methods for hunting where the population is normal or low. I hunt out of an organized camp (NOT like the one in the video above), 13 or so hunters; some with scopes; some like me with old lever action Savages and Brownings with open sights. Guess we're lucky in that between the private land our members own and the public (Crown or government) land we have hunted on for 4 or 5 generations, we have a few thousand acres good hardwood covered (oak, maple) with pine too. Throw in a few spruce/cedar swamps, hills, lakes, creeks, rockpiles and it's pretty good deer hunting country. We use hounds and place our watchers on old established runways. Ontario might be one of the last places in N. America allowing dogs to hunt- not sure.

From the old timers I hunted with 50 years ago, not much has changed (socks/boots/clothes are warmer!) except we now all use ATV's and side by sides to get to our watches. That would have been a big no-no years ago. Point being- you're scaring all the deer out of the bush before you even get there. We used to get up around 5- be out the door in pitch dark and WALK to your watches with a flashlight. Times have changed in that respect and maybe not for the good. 

2 week rifle season here is the 1st 2 weeks of November. Deer population is a bit on the low side but we saw more this year than previous. That's a good sign because there's  still too many wolves and coyotes. This is in the northern part of my County; the southern part is totally different terrain- flat, more decent farms and too many deer- but some big corn fed bucks, for sure.

Me- I prefer the venison from where I hunt in the hardwoods. Get it cut up locally into all cuts and put some of the hamburg back into flavoured sausage with is great on the BBQ in the summer. BUT IF I could find someone who could CAN venison like my Grandma used to- that was the best.

Keep on hunting. 

• Like 3

My preference for hunting is early season if bucks haven't changed from their bachelor patterns can be the absolute easiest way to get a nice buck. I like warmer weather rather than subzero windy days . I have most of my fun during archery season and I think we have had the most successful deer reductions in archery. Deer population is different everywhere, some places scarse and some people are so overrun it takes many years to get under control. We never had to take advantage of extra tags available to help farmers because we encouraged our club to get all available tags 2 sometimes 3 (Doe per person) . Since the late 90's we have only had to maintain the numbers and since we have disbanded the guys that were hunting here . Some of that was from their side they got busier with life young kids etc and didn't make it up as often but now that we have our own generation coming on strong we have enough of our own hunters that my cousins and Friends of cousins don't all have to come up and Hunt anymore. Really miss the fun we had when groups of guys would be together but that is what it is.

I hunt Buck solely for what I consider a trophy which might be totally different than what my neighbor considers as a trophy or anyone on the forum here does. If I'm looking for meat a doe what I want to shoot as a buck for me is all relaxation hunting and that's why I like to shoot a nice one because the fun of it is the anticipation of that huge Buck walking out in front of you. Once you shoot a smaller buck you're not going to have that experience of that huge Buck walking out in front of you. 

My 2 cents adjusted for inflation ($.08) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, td9bcf180 said:

I agree with @Hydro70 's comments in the original post. It all depends on where you live, however, and the status of your deer population.  If you are overrun with venison on the hoof- then have at it-towers/fancy scopes or whatever. 

Me- I prefer simpler methods for hunting where the population is normal or low. I hunt out of an organized camp (NOT like the one in the video above), 13 or so hunters; some with scopes; some like me with old lever action Savages and Brownings with open sights. Guess we're lucky in that between the private land our members own and the public (Crown or government) land we have hunted on for 4 or 5 generations, we have a few thousand acres good hardwood covered (oak, maple) with pine too. Throw in a few spruce/cedar swamps, hills, lakes, creeks, rockpiles and it's pretty good deer hunting country. We use hounds and place our watchers on old established runways. Ontario might be one of the last places in N. America allowing dogs to hunt- not sure.

From the old timers I hunted with 50 years ago, not much has changed (socks/boots/clothes are warmer!) except we now all use ATV's and side by sides to get to our watches. That would have been a big no-no years ago. Point being- you're scaring all the deer out of the bush before you even get there. We used to get up around 5- be out the door in pitch dark and WALK to your watches with a flashlight. Times have changed in that respect and maybe not for the good. 

2 week rifle season here is the 1st 2 weeks of November. Deer population is a bit on the low side but we saw more this year than previous. That's a good sign because there's  still too many wolves and coyotes. This is in the northern part of my County; the southern part is totally different terrain- flat, more decent farms and too many deer- but some big corn fed bucks, for sure.

Me- I prefer the venison from where I hunt in the hardwoods. Get it cut up locally into all cuts and put some of the hamburg back into flavoured sausage with is great on the BBQ in the summer. BUT IF I could find someone who could CAN venison like my Grandma used to- that was the best.

Keep on hunting. 

To my knowledge nobody hunts deer using dogs around here.  They most likely would wind up as casualties given the fools who roam the woods.  

Dog hunting used to be great sport on lots of game. Deer, rabbits, squirrel, quail, coon, etc. 

The only people I know who dog hunt anymore are coon hunters. I'm not that inclined to stay up all night chasing coons anymore.

24 minutes ago, acem said:

Dog hunting used to be great sport on lots of game. Deer, rabbits, squirrel, quail, coon, etc. 

The only people I know who dog hunt anymore are coon hunters. I'm not that inclined to stay up all night chasing coons anymore.

,,met a crew in   Southern Utah  in 1987  , who used dogs to ''tree'' mountain lions  ...this prior to the official season...this in the vast area around Mt Trumble ...which, I believe is in Arizona ,  actually....

...they were bloody   hard buggars ...they told Lynn  and  self that they treed the lion, then put a shot into its foot with a 22  short cartridge...then left the scene......

The obvious was when the season rolled around a few weeks later...those sore footed animals would ''tree' instantly...

Their dogs were ferocious looking things....I thought the whole bloody lot should have a 22 bullet in them ..men included.....

That is a helluva thing to do to an animal ...any animal...

Mike

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

...they were bloody   hard buggars ...they told Lynn  and  self that they treed the lion, then put a shot into its foot with a 22  short cartridge...then left the scene......

The obvious was when the season rolled around a few weeks later...those sore footed animals would ''tree' instantly...

Their dogs were ferocious looking things....I thought the whole bloody lot should have a 22 bullet in them ..men included.....

That is a helluva thing to do to an animal ...any animal...

Mike

In 100% agreement, Mike. Sounds illegal to me- wounding the critter before season starts just to make it easier to tree him later. Not ethical IMHO. With the terrain and quantity of it around here, a deer will get away/ellude/backtrack on a dog at least 50% of the time- maybe more. On smaller hunts I would never use a dog. It all comes down to location and what part of the world you're in. But there's pressure here, too, from woody plant, arm encumbering, persons to stop dog hunting. Never been in a Canadian bush in their life.

I would love to be allowed to use dogs to hunt deer.We have be so overrun with Russian Olive,Autumn Olive mainly, Multi Floria Rose where it still exists that it is impossible to push deer in alot of our area.The dead ash trees that blown down after the Ash borer killed them and overgrown with vines makes it impossible almost to drive deer out anymore in my area. They will just stand and let you struggle by through the thick stuff.I think dogs would be the only way to get them out of mess.I don't know what the big deal is about dogs,seems to me the government and liberals don't mind the coyotes running them out and killing them.