Deer hunting...........Ive never been but here is what I think of modern day deer hunting

Hydro70

3 hours ago, MacAR said:

We eat a lot of deer, probably two or three per year. Most of my hunting is done with either an iron sighted 30-30 or a scoped 30-06. I don't own enough camo to make one complete outfit; red mackinaw coat and Stormy Kromer are my usual hunting togs. Like @acem, I miss dog hunting, but I've adapted to still hunting. But that's just me.

Do I think that hunters go over board? Yea, a bit. But then again, you don't see a lot of guys out there making a living farming with M's and 2MH pickers anymore either. The technology is there, and I think it should be used. There is really no need to use a 300 winchester magnum for Bambi, but then again there's only one degree of dead. My 30-06 wears a Leupold 3-9x40 scope; it does exactly what I need it to. My 243 wears a 6-18x50; it also does what I need it to. Every hunter should strive to be as "ethical " as possible, but I won't try to define what "ethical hunting " is here, but as long as the hunter using all the fancy gear is killing his quarry efficiently and utilizing the meat, I don't care what he does.

Mac

...good points there , Mac

,,,as for all the concerns about over population...I get that....and what do we do down under....??,,,,,Simply go for the 1080   poison, which is a very divisive move....which results in 24/7  Security watch    over the helicopters and associated equipment and staff , whilst they are busy spreading this heinous crap over the land...

As for the fancy   and irrelevant  gear  required to roll the odd deer  etc,  it is just another example of the ''pissing  contest ''  that prevails ...wittingly or otherwise  ..in the journey of life .......

..one other concern I have is our friend   @lorenzo  referring to his dietary habits...Quote :  ""the worst crap I have ever eaten.."".....Just curious to know what are the better  craps he may have eaten  ??   We know of his extensive forays around this troubled world....so he is well qualified to comment on gourmet ''dishes'' .........:unsure:

Mike

• Haha 3

I always find it humorous, that someone who has not participated in a said activity, thinks their input on said activity, has meaning.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cobfly said:

I always find it humorous, that someone who has not participated in a said activity, thinks their input on said activity, has meaning.

....again, Cob,   that is the way of the world now, wherever   you look....:(

....think politics, for example

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I don’t hunt as I too don’t care for taste of venison. However different people have different tastes. 
As far as hunters go I have no problem with 90% of them. We have too many deer damage crops the more they can shoot the better. Most of they guys I know that hunt enjoy being in the woods more than anything. The ones that use trail cameras to scout do it because they can’t get the time off work or away from family to sit in the woods and watch even though they would rather do that. If they shoot more than they can eat it goes to a soup kitchen. With the price of groceries these days I see more guys hunting to get affordable meat. 
Now there is one neighbor I will call a trophy hunter. He won’t shoot it unless it’s the biggest buck in the area. Has all the latest gear and few hundred acres locked up in a hunting lease for himself but never gets more than one deer a year. Last year dad gave him some nuisance permits but he did even use them. Wanted to wait till fall to get the big wall hanger. 

I never developed a taste for venison.

• Like 1

Just now, 766 Man said:

...for what little its worth  to you    766Man....the Fallow deer venison is light years ahead   of the Red / Wapiti /  White Tail / Rusa and Sika  deer.....in my opinion.....:)

(all those species introduced unto NZ   waaaay back in the late 1800  hundreds....early 1900   hundreds...)

Mike.

• Like 2

It's amazing how hunting varies state to state.

In Arizona you won't see many tree stands or blinds in the rifle hunt. Archery season is a different story, especially over water.

Camo is king for most, but I prefer and wear jeans. Safety orange is not required but I wear an orange hat no matter what.

My wife and I still tent camp for a week above a ranch owned by a retired cattle inspector. Once camp is set up, we walk the game and cow trails in different directions from camp up to a mile. No need to go further. Operating a motor vehicle off of designated vehicular trails is not allowed by AZ GFD if hunting on Forest Service, BLM or State Trust land. There was a time where game retrieval with a motorized vehicle was allowed but no longer.

Optics are required for scouting due to the long distances and scarcity of game. I am talking about Coues Whitetail, not mule deer, but there are not that many mule deer either. Dry desert mountains and canyons do not favor large populations.

Mountains and canyons: Quite a few shots can be taken with iron sights (less than 200 yds) but quite a few people subscribe to the 3B's (Big hill, big glass, big gun). The caveat is that most hunters, me included, are not that good at long range shots. I try to limit my shots to 200 yds but have taken game at 300. I do like to sit with my 15X56 binos on a tripod and glass the hills and canyons, then try to get closer. I have located game over a mile away with my setup. My deer rifle is a Mossberg Patriot in .243 caliber, so not really a big gun.

Game cameras have been mostly outlawed by the AZ GFD for hunting or scouting. They are legal to set up if you can prove you are not a hunter and are only using them to collect wildlife photos. The intent was to stymie the outfitters and guides for God knows what reason.

Deer scent is no longer allowed by AZ GFD for God knows why, same as salt licks and baiting of any kind. I can understand the baiting and salt licks, but not the deer scent.

Hunting on the same day you fly is also not allowed if you happen to be a pilot or passenger in a private plane. Not sure about commercial flights.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

The taste changed for me when I started processing my own. I leave the bones alone and only cut meat. The marrow in the bones changes everything.

• Like 1

Most people around here process their deer (with pork for flavor and fat) into summer sausage.  Dozens of recipes and spices.  Smoked long enough to make it just a little dry and chewy is my favorite.  I've had a fair amount that was good enough that it was hard to stop eating it.  Just one more slice...

I've had a bacon wrapped tenderloin fillet from a fat doe that was as good or better than a lot of beef, and meat from a big buck that had his adrenalin up when he was shot that was not the best.

• Like 2

I consider a hunt successful if I see a deer while hunting. It’s good time for me to reflect and pray. But, I enjoy being in nature when it isn’t hunting season also. I never played sports growing up, I ran around outdoors.  That led me to buy ground to use and enjoy so that’s what I will do. We are 99%+ private land here which also makes a difference. 

• Like 7

Everyone was so wound up I thought I’d try this natural camo. I came out to the attack shack and am trying my best….. Its a balmy 45° currently so I’ll be fine. (No artificial heaters either)

C5F79B07-DC08-411E-8A47-24D4A1C7A9C0.jpeg

• Haha 10

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Everyone was so wound up I thought I’d try this natural camo. I came out to the attack shack and am trying my best….. Its a balmy 45° currently so I’ll be fine. (No artificial heaters either)

I would ask how it’s hanging, but I doubt you would have very much to report. 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

Hunters go completely overboard with their camoflauge outfits and insulated up to their knee boots and deer scent and corn to attract a hungry buck and tree mounted cameras and those elevated hunting tower complete with camo netting and the works.  Cmon is this really just cheating a poor animal out of its life for a wall mounted braggin piece cause ya know the meat sucks and I dont care who preps it for ya it still sucks and dont make nothing but decent dog food if ya want my opinion.  First off to me a deer doesnt look up in the sky it has no reason to so all it does is scan the ground in its front and uses its smell to detect danger up ahead so by hunting in one of them towers is Cheat #1.  and all that gear a hunter puts on is keepin him or her from getting cold out on them before daylight hrs but the Buck aint got no high tech gear as this he is in his God given outfit so all that better than military camo is Cheat#2.  Hunters go to the gun shops and look and look for the just right cannon with super high powered scope so that he can shoot Bambi many many yds before Bambi even knows he is in the cross hairs of some rich deer killer and to top it off the killer is way above Bambis contour vision which is ground level not up twenty ft above it Cheat#3  When Deerhunter does kill a Buck he has to walk the hundred yds back to the 4x4 and drive his four wheeler off his trailer and go snag the dead deer off the ground and load up and go home and start the braggin of killing that twelve pointer when really that Buck has been outwitted by generations of hunters so it dont stand a chance.  Deer season is open while deer breeding time has arrived so it aint hard to come across a horny buck lookin for a doe to get some so deer season should be moved to a different time of the yr.

My deer hunting rules and if you kill a buck in these more equal terms than your the man for real

no hunting towers at all ya gotta be looking while on foot 

no scopes only iron sights only

no camo gear just levis and long johns

you kill it you drag it to you truck

no deer scent or corn to bring in a hungry buck

all these high tech gadgets of scopes and camo and tower is nothing but for the fat overweight hunter who couldnt hump 300 yards in them woods without chancing a serious heartattack

I don't know if your post is "tongue in cheek " sorta rant but I LOVE EARLY SEASON DEER MEAT.

• Like 2

We have plenty of "Jackapple" hunters around here. Drive around in the truck until you see something and shoot out the window. Run quickly across whoever's land you are on and get it in the truck before the landowner sees. Same guys using the scent blocker and such.

That said, not all hunters are that way. I don't own a scope. Iron sights on everything. If it's too far to see without optics, it's too far to make a clean kill. I have my grandfather's first year production Remington Wingmaster 16 gauge. Smooth bore. I have a model 94 Winchester 30/30 built in 1942. Bought it when I was 13 and got my first buck at 14 with it. Drug that deer 4 miles to get back to the cabin. My wall hanger was shot with a .45 traditional side lock black powder Kentucky rifle. Shot from the ground on opening morning 1997. Could have used something more powerful but there's a difference between a hunter and a sportsman. Best day of hunting is when my daughter drew a bead on a 6 point buck at 30 yds and put her gun down to let him go. She told me she'd wait until he got bigger. While we hugged out there in the woods, the neighbor shot across his field and into our woods and dropped him. I was so proud to have raised a sportsman. So frustrating having neighbors like that. He takes 8-10 deer per year. Fills his tags and his wife's and his dads. Half from his land onto ours. That's not a sportsman.

We don't bait. We sit near an old apple tree. Mother nature brings them in. We don't scent block. Our blaze orange (required by law camo not allowed) hangs outside leading up to and through season. 

Food is food. Harvested, stored or prepared poorly, anything tastes nasty. I've had plenty of store bought beef, pork, whatever served to me that I wouldn't feed my dog. Game done right is as good as anything done right.

@Sledgehammer Remember...we are supposed to use a "pointy" stick.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dzldenny said:

Best day of hunting is when my daughter drew a bead on a 6 point buck at 30 yds and put her gun down to let him go.

That tells me a lot about her and the way she was raised.

Good job dad!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

“ may not hit bottom, but you’ll stretch out the edges lol”

-ron white

I’m going to stick to deer hunting. No movie tryouts for this guy.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

....Gosh, Todd...when I saw those legs there ...I thought we were heading for the  new  "Lip balm "    advertisement.....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mike newman said:

...good points there , Mac

,,,as for all the concerns about over population...I get that....and what do we do down under....??,,,,,Simply go for the 1080   poison, which is a very divisive move....which results in 24/7  Security watch    over the helicopters and associated equipment and staff , whilst they are busy spreading this heinous crap over the land...

As for the fancy   and irrelevant  gear  required to roll the odd deer  etc,  it is just another example of the ''pissing  contest ''  that prevails ...wittingly or otherwise  ..in the journey of life .......

..one other concern I have is our friend   @lorenzo  referring to his dietary habits...Quote :  ""the worst crap I have ever eaten.."".....Just curious to know what are the better  craps he may have eaten  ??   We know of his extensive forays around this troubled world....so he is well qualified to comment on gourmet ''dishes'' .........:unsure:

Mike

Had Guinea pig in Bolivia once, couldn’t swallow it.  I was walking through a market / festival near Puma Punku Tewanauka and took a big mouthful, spit it back into my hand when they weren’t looking and walked around the corner. There was a dog sleeping on the sidewalk so i set it down right in front of his nose. He woke up, sniffed it and then rolled over , took a big breath and went back to sleep. I decided if even a street dog in Bolivia won’t eat it then it wasn’t just me.  I laughed so hard at that. 

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

are you talking a 4 legged "deer" od a 2 legged "Dear" when you say young tender and tasty........inquiring minds want to know

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the two legged dears but I'm a married man now.

A friend used to service deer camp widows!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

Hunters go completely overboard with their camoflauge outfits and insulated up to their knee boots and deer scent and corn to attract a hungry buck and tree mounted cameras and those elevated hunting tower complete with camo netting and the works.  Cmon is this really just cheating a poor animal out of its life for a wall mounted braggin piece cause ya know the meat sucks and I dont care who preps it for ya it still sucks and dont make nothing but decent dog food if ya want my opinion.  First off to me a deer doesnt look up in the sky it has no reason to so all it does is scan the ground in its front and uses its smell to detect danger up ahead so by hunting in one of them towers is Cheat #1.  and all that gear a hunter puts on is keepin him or her from getting cold out on them before daylight hrs but the Buck aint got no high tech gear as this he is in his God given outfit so all that better than military camo is Cheat#2.  Hunters go to the gun shops and look and look for the just right cannon with super high powered scope so that he can shoot Bambi many many yds before Bambi even knows he is in the cross hairs of some rich deer killer and to top it off the killer is way above Bambis contour vision which is ground level not up twenty ft above it Cheat#3  When Deerhunter does kill a Buck he has to walk the hundred yds back to the 4x4 and drive his four wheeler off his trailer and go snag the dead deer off the ground and load up and go home and start the braggin of killing that twelve pointer when really that Buck has been outwitted by generations of hunters so it dont stand a chance.  Deer season is open while deer breeding time has arrived so it aint hard to come across a horny buck lookin for a doe to get some so deer season should be moved to a different time of the yr.

My deer hunting rules and if you kill a buck in these more equal terms than your the man for real

no hunting towers at all ya gotta be looking while on foot 

no scopes only iron sights only

no camo gear just levis and long johns

you kill it you drag it to you truck

no deer scent or corn to bring in a hungry buck

all these high tech gadgets of scopes and camo and tower is nothing but for the fat overweight hunter who couldnt hump 300 yards in them woods without chancing a serious heartattack

I don’t know what had soured you on hunting/hunters.  I know there are quite a few that give the sport a bad name.  My wife’s family hates hunting, but to be fair they have some real a-holes around them.  Firing guns all hours of the day and night, scaring their animals (cows, sheep, chickens, etc), tearing down ‘No trespassing sign’.  You get the idea.

my wife knew nothing else.  Then she started to hang out around our place and realized that not hunters are the same.  While she still doesn’t love hunting, she at least tolerated it and likes the taste of venison.  

it does take skill and patience to kill with a rifle.  More so with a bow.  I don’t go nuts on the gear or stands either.  We also have to wear blaze orange for rifle season and a box of shells usually lasts me at least 10 years and that includes a confirmation shot every fall.  I don’t shoot unless I am confidant that what I shoot at will drop, and the big ones look nice on a wall but the smaller ones taste much better.  

maybe you can at least know that there are some hunters that still do things similar to how they were done 50 years ago.  

• Like 5