Deer hunting...........Ive never been but here is what I think of modern day deer hunting

Hydro70

Hunters go completely overboard with their camoflauge outfits and insulated up to their knee boots and deer scent and corn to attract a hungry buck and tree mounted cameras and those elevated hunting tower complete with camo netting and the works.  Cmon is this really just cheating a poor animal out of its life for a wall mounted braggin piece cause ya know the meat sucks and I dont care who preps it for ya it still sucks and dont make nothing but decent dog food if ya want my opinion.  First off to me a deer doesnt look up in the sky it has no reason to so all it does is scan the ground in its front and uses its smell to detect danger up ahead so by hunting in one of them towers is Cheat #1.  and all that gear a hunter puts on is keepin him or her from getting cold out on them before daylight hrs but the Buck aint got no high tech gear as this he is in his God given outfit so all that better than military camo is Cheat#2.  Hunters go to the gun shops and look and look for the just right cannon with super high powered scope so that he can shoot Bambi many many yds before Bambi even knows he is in the cross hairs of some rich deer killer and to top it off the killer is way above Bambis contour vision which is ground level not up twenty ft above it Cheat#3  When Deerhunter does kill a Buck he has to walk the hundred yds back to the 4x4 and drive his four wheeler off his trailer and go snag the dead deer off the ground and load up and go home and start the braggin of killing that twelve pointer when really that Buck has been outwitted by generations of hunters so it dont stand a chance.  Deer season is open while deer breeding time has arrived so it aint hard to come across a horny buck lookin for a doe to get some so deer season should be moved to a different time of the yr.

My deer hunting rules and if you kill a buck in these more equal terms than your the man for real

no hunting towers at all ya gotta be looking while on foot 

no scopes only iron sights only

no camo gear just levis and long johns

you kill it you drag it to you truck

no deer scent or corn to bring in a hungry buck

all these high tech gadgets of scopes and camo and tower is nothing but for the fat overweight hunter who couldnt hump 300 yards in them woods without chancing a serious heartattack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I just use my claws and teeth

barefoot 

Just like a real farmer doesn't use a tractor, just a sharp stick to poke the ground

... actually,  I don't think @Hydro70   was talking about ''way out '' dietary'' habits...or current  farming  cultivation methods..  

.....being in a position , down under , to observe  the comings and goings of many hunters . I see the same sort of BS  with the current generation of younger NZ hunters....

...the attire  is changing from a pair of shorts  and a black woollen singlet, with a ''Swanni ''   tossed in the day pack...to all this'' camo ''  stuff...and super gee whizz range finders  , calibres that  are so   unnecessary  in the ballistic ''horse power '' they create ...to shoot any type of deer in NZ....  A 'deer '' is just a light weight. thin skinned animal, to which any well placed shot from   a triple two , will roll it over.....never mind the oft seen  proliferation of 284  and 308 Magnum calibers....

..Of course the Sports Retailers are pushing all this sort of   equipment.....and it gets to the stage where if some young  bloke wants his Dads  30-06  or  the venerable favourite of Jack O'Conner...the 270.....he almost becomes a social outcast   amongst his   peers who have succumbed to $5K  plus worth of ordinance  plus a similar  amount of   optics  to cart around........all this being deemed necessary   to roll  a   deer or chamois   or thar  or the ubiquitous  wild pig....

I have taken out a few American's   , hunting, in New Zealand.. It is very hard for those blokes , because we have use our legs...not riding on the back of a truck......or crouched up a tree......And.....those blokes have been instrumental in  in me being able to hunt in the States of Utah and Arizona....Other than  an  opening day  hunt in Utah, which was a   wild experience for an old hillbilly from NZ... I have some wonderful memories and pictures from those times......You can walk for daze  down under, in these mountains, and never see another homo sapien....

I have mentioned on this fine site before about one particular American    who , when we were hunting in Fiordland , came across two ''deer cullers '' , culling Wapiti /Red   cross animals, who used the 222  caliber rifles, with a 6 power Pecar   (West German )  scope...  My American friend was to say the least, surprised, but the cullers talked for awhile and told him that the beauty of the triple two was the amount of ammunition they could carry...as they just camped out in the bush  for a week at a time , before returning to civilization...

For anyone reading this spiel of mine, you will know I am a great admirer  of the US of A...but not of your average hunter  or your politics.......For the average Kiwi hunter....at least there is a bunch of walking  / climbing.....and then, for meat,  the animal is boned out and packed home......Remember...hunting in New Zealand has a season of 365 days.....

I totally agree with Hydro's   summation..........

Mike

• Like 3

I hit one with a Jeep…but it had a lift, so thats #1 I guess, it’s a green/brown/gray Jeep, so that’s #2 those 110W KC spots really reach out there and extend my vision so I suppose they are high powered optics 🤔

• Haha 3

Personally, I don't care how they hunt or kill the deer here. Deer are a severe problem causing lots of crop loss in corn, soybeans, wheat, alfalfa, residential gardens and shrubbery, etc. plus lots of damage to motor vehicles when deer are hit crossing  highways. A man was killed near here a few years ago in vehicle collision with a deer. Deer went through windshield and antler impaled  man's neck. Hunters have already killed 18 deer off of our 158 acres this season. Good riddance. 

• Like 8

No doubt technology such as real time trail cameras has made it easier to pattern deer.  Most of the things mentioned are really "progress."  I dont say that lighty which is why i have the quotation marks.  There is an entire industry built around deer hunting.  Their mission is to sell things.  The best scent, the newest trail camera, the newest flatest hardest hitting caliber, etc.  Many American hunters are hungry to spend money on the latest and greatest.  

Looking around at some other aspects of life I ask do some need the mcmansion house that they live in?  Do we need the super duper almost $100000 fancy pickup trucks out there with remote start, multiple cameras, etc?  Would a more basic vinyl floor model be sufficient?

The scenarios kind of seem like one in the same.  The difference being the bragging rights on the deer can't just be bought.  Or maybe those bragging rights can be bought if you book a hunt on a Texas ranch?

• Like 3

We deer hunt in southern Wisconsin and the rolling hills along there require a higher caliber deer hunting rifle for some of those tougher 250 yard shots. I use a .308 while some other family members use a 30-06. Definitely wear blaze orange in these parts, as hunting is always active. You can hear gun shots from the surrounding area. I recommend using one of those calibers. It obviously depends on which state you reside in and what the surrounding land holds as far as potential obstacles that would make a shot a lot tougher for smaller calibers. Be safe!

9 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

Hunters go completely overboard with their camoflauge outfits and insulated up to their knee boots and deer scent and corn to attract a hungry buck and tree mounted cameras and those elevated hunting tower complete with camo netting and the works.  Cmon is this really just cheating a poor animal out of its life for a wall mounted braggin piece cause ya know the meat sucks and I dont care who preps it for ya it still sucks and dont make nothing but decent dog food if ya want my opinion.  First off to me a deer doesnt look up in the sky it has no reason to so all it does is scan the ground in its front and uses its smell to detect danger up ahead so by hunting in one of them towers is Cheat #1.  and all that gear a hunter puts on is keepin him or her from getting cold out on them before daylight hrs but the Buck aint got no high tech gear as this he is in his God given outfit so all that better than military camo is Cheat#2.  Hunters go to the gun shops and look and look for the just right cannon with super high powered scope so that he can shoot Bambi many many yds before Bambi even knows he is in the cross hairs of some rich deer killer and to top it off the killer is way above Bambis contour vision which is ground level not up twenty ft above it Cheat#3  When Deerhunter does kill a Buck he has to walk the hundred yds back to the 4x4 and drive his four wheeler off his trailer and go snag the dead deer off the ground and load up and go home and start the braggin of killing that twelve pointer when really that Buck has been outwitted by generations of hunters so it dont stand a chance.  Deer season is open while deer breeding time has arrived so it aint hard to come across a horny buck lookin for a doe to get some so deer season should be moved to a different time of the yr.

My deer hunting rules and if you kill a buck in these more equal terms than your the man for real

no hunting towers at all ya gotta be looking while on foot 

no scopes only iron sights only

no camo gear just levis and long johns

you kill it you drag it to you truck

no deer scent or corn to bring in a hungry buck

all these high tech gadgets of scopes and camo and tower is nothing but for the fat overweight hunter who couldnt hump 300 yards in them woods without chancing a serious heartattack

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I just use my claws and teeth

barefoot 

Just like a real farmer doesn't use a tractor, just a sharp stick to poke the ground

C'mon, 

Let'm at least use a rock like me!

But in reality I'm not nearly as mad at deer as I used to be. Dog hunting was a great social experience but it's out of favor.

Deer are actually causing me more problems than ever. I have friends who are more than willing to help thin the herd.

However if I happen upon a young Bambi with the spots just off I will partake in the slaughter. Young, tender and tasty!

• Like 1

I won't judge anyone for how they like to hunt.  I think it boils down to your own personal preferences.

One extreme would be to sit naked in a tree with a sharp stick in your mouth, jump on the deer's back, and have at it.

The other extreme is using all available technology to minimize the hunting skill, or woodsmanship required to get a deer nearly every time you go out, even if it means setting up a .50 cal  and shooting one half a mile away,

Most of us settle for something in between.  I'm not interested in deer hunting any more, but when I was, I enjoyed stalking them while carrying an open sight 45/70 Marlin, or later a 41 Mag Ruger Super Single Six.  I didn't get many that way, but had a lot more fun than I would have had sitting in a stand.  If I'd needed the meat, it would have been a different ball game entirely.

I didn't get very many shots, but felt like I'd accomplished something even when I just got close enough to consider taking a shot.  Last time I deer hunted (40 years ago) I jumped a small buck about 50 yards out.  We saw each other about the same time, and since he started to move I didn't take a shot.

I have nothing against deer hunting - in fact I think there are lots of places where a bounty would be appropriate.  I'm just not interested in doing it myself any more.

I do enjoy squirrel hunting with a .22.  I usually stalk them too.  Much less work at the end of the day, for sure.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 7and8and1456 said:

Personally, I don't care how they hunt or kill the deer here. Deer are a severe problem causing lots of crop loss in corn, soybeans, wheat, alfalfa, residential gardens and shrubbery, etc. plus lots of damage to motor vehicles when deer are hit crossing  highways. A man was killed near here a few years ago in vehicle collision with a deer. Deer went through windshield and antler impaled  man's neck. Hunters have already killed 18 deer off of our 158 acres this season. Good riddance. 

I agree 100%   Deer and turkeys need a 365 season for awhile here! I’m at the point I’m ready to just start shooting and leaving them lay!

• Like 4

I will respectfully disagree with SOME of the original post. 

#1 Deer do look up. Deer spend as much time looking all around as you do when you are in the woods. No, there are not natural predators in a tree waiting on them but they most definitely look up. 

#2 Lots of people enjoy deer meat. My family eats deer 10 to 1 over beef. I love beef but deer is much cheaper and as a responsible hunter I either process my deer or have them processed for my consumption. I have given away many many deer to needy families that gladly welcomed the meat also. 

#3 baiting is not allowed here. No corn piles in front of your tree stand. That’s multiple tickets in IL. Some places allow different things. 

#4 camo or Levi’s and longjohns, I’ve done it both ways. Deer were designed by God to live outdoors and we were not. We wear coats when we go out in the winter and deer have theirs naturally on them. 

#5. Deer can be taken by any legal means in that area. I am not allowed to use a centerfire rifle capable of long range shots. I have shot deer out to 150yds with iron sights and a rifled slug from a smooth bore barrel.  I’ve shot deer as far as 265yds with a deer slug on a scoped shotgun. I’ve shot deer with bows and pistols from various distances also. Point is, it isn’t shooting fish in a barrel. Deer are a weary prey worthy of respect.  It is an accomplishment to take a deer. It is more of an accomplishment to take an older deer that has seen the pitfalls of life. There are people who don’t respect the animals and there are those that do. A few bad apples will spoil the whole batch. 

#6 I’ve hauled deer out of the woods over my shoulder, with a stick, or with a rope.  I’ve loaded them in the truck and onto 4wheeler racks.  Do we still pull a plow with horses or mules?  Has farm equipment ever gotten larger?  Human nature is to take the easiest route.  Would you farm 1000 acres with a two row planter and picker if you had a 24 row planter and a 12 row head in the barn?  

The deer I shot this year scored 148”. That is the largest deer I’ve ever shot in 25 years of deer hunting. I spent more than a year watching that deer and tracking his movements. I came within 20 yards of him more than once with both of us on the ground and I did not shoot.  If anyone thinks it’s easy, I dare you to go try it and be honest with how things turn out for you. 

I couldn’t tell you how many deer I have taken honestly but it is a pastime handed down to me by my grandfather and uncle who I very much respect. It is challenging and not for the faint of heart.  Hunting anything is constantly learning and paying attention to your surroundings.  I respect the opinions of those who don’t agree but don’t tell me I’m wrong for doing something I love and cherish. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

I still enjoy being in the woods and observing all the wildlife without disturbing them. Slow walking, choosing each step, taking my time. I have harvested 1 deer each year from 1973 until the disease panic set in a few years ago. In all these years, I have only killed 4 with antlers and nothing hanging on the wall. I hunt on the ground, cheap blue jeans, required orange sweatshirt, rubber chore boots, (I have to cross a creek) and my modern high powered bazooka is a hand made .54cal roundball muzzleloader, open iron sights. I built this myself back in the late 70's. Longest I have ever shot in all these years was 32 yards.

Most memorable day in the woods was several years ago, right at sunrise, standing still by a large oak tree. I heard leaves rustling. What I finally saw was a large covey of Quail, walking all in a line, going to a field to eat. About an hour later, I watched the same going back into the thickets. And all day, I never saw the first deer. 

To each his own. The only time I get upset about someone killing deer is when their spotlight shines in my window about an hour after sunset. I have even had a hole shot in the side of my shop by one of these "hunters". This one got called in and I followed them about 20 miles before DNR stopped them.

Something that upsets me is some of the "country" songs that encourage driving your jacked up pickup in some farmer's field. But that is another story.

• Like 9

We eat a lot of deer, probably two or three per year. Most of my hunting is done with either an iron sighted 30-30 or a scoped 30-06. I don't own enough camo to make one complete outfit; red mackinaw coat and Stormy Kromer are my usual hunting togs. Like @acem, I miss dog hunting, but I've adapted to still hunting. But that's just me.

Do I think that hunters go over board? Yea, a bit. But then again, you don't see a lot of guys out there making a living farming with M's and 2MH pickers anymore either. The technology is there, and I think it should be used. There is really no need to use a 300 winchester magnum for Bambi, but then again there's only one degree of dead. My 30-06 wears a Leupold 3-9x40 scope; it does exactly what I need it to. My 243 wears a 6-18x50; it also does what I need it to. Every hunter should strive to be as "ethical " as possible, but I won't try to define what "ethical hunting " is here, but as long as the hunter using all the fancy gear is killing his quarry efficiently and utilizing the meat, I don't care what he does.

Mac

• Like 10

Mixed feelings for me on high tech hunting.  I do not hunt, but my friends and neighbors who hunt do not use bait piles or destroy vegetaion to make a shooting lane.   They respect property lines and don't litter.  Not all hunters are as considerate and certainly some do not understand the limitation of recreation-grade GPS receivers in a wooded environment.

As a field forester I always grumbled through deer season, not liking the orange garb I had to wear and knowing that the last few weeks of otherwise ideal working conditions in snow-free forest meant sharing the woods with possibly inexperienced gun users.  Even then, though I preferred gun season to bowhunting, as I too often came across bodies of wounded deer that had outrun their bow-hunting predator.  In that regard a high-powered rifle usually resulted in a more certain and sudden kill. 

As stated, mixed feelings of respect for the tradition, disdain for the careless, uncaring, or greedy, and basic agreement that hunting is an integral part of wildlife management.

• Like 5

11 years ago I bought really expensive camouflage coveralls and coat ...... not because of the pattern but because it is carbon technology. Biggest reason why I got it though was I think I was worth spending for an outfit that hopefully will last me the rest of my hunting years to keep me dry and warm as well as possible. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, bitty said:

11 years ago I bought really expensive camouflage coveralls and coat ...... not because of the pattern but because it is carbon technology. Biggest reason why I got it though was I think I was worth spending for an outfit that hopefully will last me the rest of my hunting years to keep me dry and warm as well as possible. 

Warm and dry, more important as I get older.

Deer populations need to be controlled, number one priority

If not humanely with a well placed shot by a hunter, then by mother nature with disease (I have seen it, not pretty) or autos on the highways, also not pretty

Now as far as what some hunters spend, why not if it makes them happy and helps them to harvest a deer more efficiently. That disposable income that some seem to have could be spent on worse things

I have hunted all my years in tan colored Carhartt bibs and coats and like Mr Newman, I prefer the older, proven calibers, .243, .30-30, .30-06, 7mm Mag, maybe a bit bigger than the venerable .222 but effective non the less. One or two deer a year is different than a culling program where many are taken and the open plains where shots are longer can be taken into account also.   I use a scope because my eyes are not what they used to be.

Won't get into hunting ethics here, take too long, I deal with it some on a seasonal basis.  

As in any endeavor there will be those that abuse the system

Don't blame the practice of deer hunting or place all hunters under the same umbrella, the few that abuse the system are looked down upon by true sportsman as well. 

• Like 10

Don't really matter to me what they use to hunt with but one thing l think is funny is that they wear expensive up to date camouflage to "hide" in the woods......but then put on a neon bright orange vest for "safety".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don’t hunt as I too don’t care for taste of venison. However different people have different tastes. 
As far as hunters go I have no problem with 90% of them. We have too many deer damage crops the more they can shoot the better. Most of they guys I know that hunt enjoy being in the woods more than anything. The ones that use trail cameras to scout do it because they can’t get the time off work or away from family to sit in the woods and watch even though they would rather do that. If they shoot more than they can eat it goes to a soup kitchen. With the price of groceries these days I see more guys hunting to get affordable meat. 
Now there is one neighbor I will call a trophy hunter. He won’t shoot it unless it’s the biggest buck in the area. Has all the latest gear and few hundred acres locked up in a hunting lease for himself but never gets more than one deer a year. Last year dad gave him some nuisance permits but he did even use them. Wanted to wait till fall to get the big wall hanger. 

• Like 1

I dont hunt but we have about 25 acres of wooded ground behind the house with a creek that we have had numerous people approach us about hunting on,  we only allow 2 guys at a time and make sure they set up on opposite ends and it works out ok.   everyone we have had out has been respectful, and offered a few deer sticks now and then for compensation.  I kind of had hoped that the one guy who has been here for several years would notice that im trying to farm and maybe rent us his tillable land he inherited, but, hasnt worked out like that.

It sort of feels like the hunters in general are always sort of looking for free access to land....  Maybe im overvaluing the access im giving to the land?    I just sort of think about it like... we dont hunt so if someone enjoys that and they are good stewards they are welcome to the land, but, it would be nice if they would notice that we farm and sell beef and would sort of see the links in the chain of working together more than they do,  but, I guess everyone is busy and focused on their own issues and not really thinking about the other guy.

Pretty off topic,  sorry about that gents.

No qualms with hunters or hunting,  just my inner pessimist needed to be let out a moment.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Don't really matter to me what they use to hunt with but one thing l think is funny is that they wear expensive up to date camouflage to "hide" in the woods......but then put on a neon bright orange vest for "safety".

Deer can't see "orange" like you and me

To them It is just a solid shade, maybe closer to gray

If you camo (breakup)the orange, it is seen as any other camo pattern to them

• Like 2

I counted 30 last night and i see at least 6 every night bedded down right in my back yard. The population is out of control here so i don't care how the hunters get them. I totally agree about the meat , its the worst crap i have ever eaten.  I did have some once that was ok and when i asked about it i found out it was mostly beef, some pork, a bunch of cheese, a shovel full of other spice and a teaspoon of deer meat. 
Had the Nebraska game and parks come out this year and they gave me a depredation permit to kill 6 deer. As soon as the normal hunting season is over here and everyone has gotten their thrill kill im going to slaughter as many of these pieces of sh:! as i can. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

i see at least 6 every night bedded down right in my back yard.

Emma dropping the ball or does she need her beauty sleep😄

Last night on the way home from the truck I drove past a muley forky bedded down about 10' off the single lane oil road.

I was going about 35 and I don't think he even got up

They know when season is over and get back to being comfortable with the things they see all the time.  

Numbers are down here and with the open winter and warm weather they are not doing near the damage to our stackyards they did last year with the very bad winter. 

They decimated some stackyards

I really enjoy seeing the deer as long as numbers are manageable, they don't cost me much

• Like 1