4630 open station

acem

34 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

What is this? Green power mag? Yuck! What is it worth? It depends on what it weighs and how much fuel is in it. I would take great pleasure in watching any piece of green and yellow scrap iron go through the shredder. 

When speaking of classic tractors I have respect for the New Generation series on ,although I think they've become terribly overrated. What really grinds my gears is guys on here including myself, appreciate other colors whereas most JD guys I've come across don't consider any other brand worthy of being used for toilet paper. That's why I have a hard time with bringing  attention to JD on here. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

When speaking of classic tractors I have respect for the New Generation series on ,although I think they've become terribly overrated. What really grinds my gears is guys on here including myself, appreciate other colors whereas most JD guys I've come across don't consider any other brand worthy of being used for toilet paper. That's why I have a hard time with bringing  attention to JD on here. 

I especially despise the "new generation" if you are meaning the farty-twennys. World's most over-rated piece of machinery. I'd rather farm with mules.

• Like 1

I have JD friends who are both ways 

One neighbor family bleeds green.  Every JD was superior to anything else. They did run IH disks until about 15 years ago.

Another friend bleeds green but is open minded. For a long time ran 20/30/40 series JD tractors and red tillage and axial flow combines (very common on owner operation farms in Arkansas years ago). Bought a nice 4 post 1466 and liked it. Traded it for a late model 7140. Kept it for 10 years and hardly ever worked on it. Traded it for a JD 8400? But will admit the 7140 was the best tractor he ever had. Runs a big versatile with 855 Cummins. Changed over to JD combines when the 'local' CIH dealership closed that stocked combine parts (70 miles away). The nearest stocking dealer is now 150 miles away (the dealer I use is 80 miles away and not a crop dealer but can get me parts).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I especially despise the "new generation" if you are meaning the farty-twennys. World's most over-rated piece of machinery. I'd rather farm with mules.

You'd know a lot more than I do from a mechanical stand point. My dads neighbor in these exact words. "I had to replace pto clutches in the 4020 pretty much every year".  Which he said called for the tractor to be split to fix. Yet he stuck with JD and will until the day he dies. He does appreciate other brands though 

7 minutes ago, acem said:

I have JD friends who are both ways 

One neighbor family bleeds green.  Every JD was superior to anything else. They did run IH disks until about 15 years ago.

Another friend bleeds green but is open minded. For a long time ran 20/30/40 series JD tractors and red tillage and axial flow combines (very common on owner operation farms in Arkansas years ago). Bought a nice 4 post 1466 and liked it. Traded it for a late model 7140. Kept it for 10 years and hardly ever worked on it. Traded it for a JD 8400? But will admit the 7140 was the best tractor he ever had. Runs a big versatile with 855 Cummins. Changed over to JD combines when the 'local' CIH dealership closed that stocked combine parts (70 miles away). The nearest stocking dealer is now 150 miles away (the dealer I use is 80 miles away and not a crop dealer but can get me parts).

My dad wanted a 7140 but price pushed him towards the 88 series. He's never regretted it though 

• Like 2

I’ve met some die hard Deere guys before, but no one even close to the level described on here. I’ve never ever seen a successful farm fool with equipment that won’t perform the expected task very long, no matter what brand it is. Stuff that doesn’t work goes down the road and people don’t buy more. Companies rise and fall based on this alone. I remember when six row planters were what everyone had and there were a lot of 7000 and 7200 Deere planters around here. By the late 90’s Deere was about out of the planter business in this area. The Deere 12 and 16 row planter frame was no good and it didn’t sell because of it. Kinze was completely taking over around here. They had to change the design to get people to buy it. That’s just one example I can think of in relatively recent history. I don’t know where all these farms are that buy junk that won’t even work and just keep making money and going back for more. 

Should have taken picture of my buddies 4440 he had out yesterday He fed 1000 calves on a mixer wagon every day all winter. Plus it was his haying tractor. I put a camshaft and pistons,sleeves in it 25 years ago. And a clutch rear main seal a year later.  I don’t think he has done anything to it besides fix air conditioner since then. It is an immaculate tractor. I will snap a picture of it this week.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’ve met some die hard Deere guys before, but no one even close to the level described on here. I’ve never ever seen a successful farm fool with equipment that won’t perform the expected task very long, no matter what brand it is. Stuff that doesn’t work goes down the road and people don’t buy more. Companies rise and fall based on this alone. I remember when six row planters were what everyone had and there were a lot of 7000 and 7200 Deere planters around here. By the late 90’s Deere was about out of the planter business in this area. The Deere 12 and 16 row planter frame was no good and it didn’t sell because of it. Kinze was completely taking over around here. They had to change the design to get people to buy it. That’s just one example I can think of in relatively recent history. I don’t know where all these farms are that buy junk that won’t even work and just keep making money and going back for more. 

Yea there are definitely guys that are indifferent about brands and just make the best business decision for them which in the long run may be the better way to be. About a month ago a guy at work who is a JD or nothing guy and farms with his family on the side similar to me was gloating about his neighbor who always has been red was demoing some JD equipment. So I told him I bet his neighbor will get a better deal to switch colors than he would being loyal. He didn't care for that too much but I think it's true. Anyway I still believe  among tractor enthusiasts the green and yellow guys more than any others have a disregard for the other brands. Just my opinion. I'll just add look at what Whistlin Diesel did to that 1206 a couple years ago. I used to watch some of his videos and his grandpa is a JD guy. I never saw him or anybody else bad mouthing and running a 6030 off of a cliff. I was pretty disgusted by that 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It's really rare to see a farm which is 100 percent one brand.  And you are right in that whether green or red or otherwise if it is a poorly designed or made product it will not sell for very long.  In my professional career selling parts I never saw people more uppity than the Ford crowd.  A few literally talked with a sneer.  Guys like myself own a variety of brands to farm with which can upset purists of any given brand.  

• Like 2

I am definitely a red power guy, but the only way you would get this 7000 planter away from me would be to offer me a nice Kinze!  This planter is simple,  works well in my no till and I can buy essentially any part for it without spending a penny at the JD dealer!!!!!!!

20230527_144047.thumb.jpg.6ce52edd0892332ff6a56ac0080c731d.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I am definitely a red power guy, but the only way you would get this 7000 planter away from me would be to offer me a nice Kinze!  This planter is simple,  works well in my no till and I can buy essentially any part for it without spending a penny at the JD dealer!!!!!!!

We run a 6 row cyclo air 900 and it still does an excellent job with seed spacing and emergence. The neighbor has a 7000 and the belief is that it's built more sturdy than the 900 because we've had rows bend from years of hitting rocks. About 5 years ago we reinforced the rows with angle iron. While the 7000 has held up in similar ground. 

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

It's really rare to see a farm which is 100 percent one brand.  And you are right in that whether green or red or otherwise if it is a poorly designed or made product it will not sell for very long.  In my professional career selling parts I never saw people more uppity than the Ford crowd.  A few literally talked with a sneer.  Guys like myself own a variety of brands to farm with which can upset purists of any given brand.  

I've had both Ford and Chevy trucks. I liked my 95 and 2000 Chevys better than my 04 Ford but my current 2011 has easily been the best of them. I am however beside myself that it started to rust around 65,000 miles. My in-laws are all Chevy so my Ford could be capable of flying to the moon and back, but they'd still think it's garbage 

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

We had a 7000 and a 7200 that were both bought new, both six rows. They were very good planters. We also bought a 1780 12/23 Deere new. That frame was as bad as any piece of machinery I have ever had. It wouldn’t fit through an 18’ gate folded up, had no ground clearance when folded, didn’t have enough flex and did not hold up to no till. We have had blue planters ever since that thing left. I also remember Deere center pivot mower conditioners being very good for the sales of New Holland 499 haybines before disc mowers took over. 

On 12/5/2023 at 6:52 PM, Farmall Doctor said:

What is this? Green power mag? Yuck! What is it worth? It depends on what it weighs and how much fuel is in it. I would take great pleasure in watching any piece of green and yellow scrap iron go through the shredder. 

Tell us how you really feel! 🤣

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Dad always bought what ever he thought was the best value, regardless of brand. Sometimes that turned out good. Once in a while not so much.

Most farmers are AC-DC when it comes to equipment.

You buy what you need and is available at the time.

Speaking of the yellow wheels here is one thing but pictures are blasphemy?

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Dad always bought what ever he thought was the best value, regardless of brand. Sometimes that turned out good. Once in a while not so much.

My father was often the same way.  Also, some things panned out and some did not.  We had a tractor which was terrible of which the brand wound up as a part of AGCO.  It would have been not so bad if it was not the main tillage tractor at the time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Tell us how you really feel! 🤣

Since we're on the subject I'll throw this out there. There are guys on here who have been taking shots at IH FOR YEARS! on this very sight and hardly ever get a word said to them about it. And if I point out to them some of the down falls of JD it turns into a 3 day debate and get accused of "attacking people". I don't even know if there are JD sights out there and if there is, I couldn't care less what there are saying on there. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

Since we're on the subject I'll throw this out there. There are guys on here who have been taking shots at IH FOR YEARS! on this very sight and hardly ever get a word said to them about it. And if I point out to them some of the down falls of JD it turns into a 3 day debate and get accused of "attacking people". I don't even know if there are JD sights out there and if there is, I couldn't care less what there are saying on there. 

All brands have their share of dumbass followers and that includes JD and IH.  People who simply slam and do not make intelligent observations.  The trouble is that the dummies greatly out number the smart folks so any board is going to be weighed down with supporters who do not represent the brand well.  The same goes with sports teams and their internet board sites.  I've given up on a couple of sports sites as most of the people on them are very reactionary to a loss or losing spell.  We all know how to be mad but to put a finger on why a team is losing is a different matter entirely.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

I was really just teasing. I hope I didn't offend any one. I didn't mean too. Your right all brands have their good and bad features as well as good and bad enthusiasts.  I don't believe jd is the greatest thing  since sliced bread. They do have some nice things about them as well as some not so nice things. Everyone please have a good day.

It’s the general chat section on Red Power, not the John Deere sucks section. I don’t understand why others have to be torn down to make people think IH is better. I keep hearing about “people”, but I follow this site pretty close and I can’t think of a die hard Deere only guy who comes on here and has nothing intelligent to offer. The only people who are/were real a-holes in recent history was J-mech and that Cash only Cycles or whatever his name was. That guy just came here to tell everyone who didn’t get vaccinated they were a Neanderthal. Ace started the thread and he’s not a die hard Deere guy by anyone’s standard. I assume he started it because he thought it was interesting. 

• Like 2

If HD made a plane think I'd grab a jump from another brand just saying 😁

I joined here in early 2000's for the old construction stuff and really met quite an entertaining bunch now for 2 decades, some have passed on and others left and even myself have been absent at times for long periods, a better bunch would be hard to find, hopefully in 2024 hit the road and put a few faces to the names 😊 that said my red tractor acquisitions in that time have been MF, for what little farming I do they have fit the need and I'm a believer on Perkins fuel miser, always amazed on how much work they do on so little fuel, was I after them no, just exceptional deals that brought them on the yard

• Like 2