806 Farmall Tires

japatten

Hi everyone,

I know this is a can of worms but I need new tires for an 806 Farmall. I just bought the tractor off my Great Uncle who bought it new back in 1967. 

So radials or bias is kinda the main question I got a quote for new tires and the radial are about $400 more a tire. The quote is for Alliance tires made by Yokohama. I know Firestone are considered the best by many but are just out of budget right now.

The tractor is going to be my primary tractor. Some tillage work(disc, chisel plow), three point no-till drill, round balling (little raking), and then as a loader tractor to move and feed bales. ( I know the shifting isn't the best for loader tractor). I will be doing some road driving between field on black top but not more than probably 5 miles at a time. I have no intention of getting rid of this tractor anytime soon so what something that will last. 

Thank you in advance for any responses

Do you keep the tractor inside or does it sit out in the weather year around? Most tires are not as resistant to UV degradation as they once were, so you'd just be throwing money away on radials because they'll be rotten long before they're worn out.

Is your question about radial vs. bias or brand? Radials didn't exist when the 806 was king of the hill, and farmers managed to get a lot of field work done.

I only have direct comparison between old bald bias tires and new radials, and frankly, in my applications which include all the jobs you have listed, I can't tell much of a difference. Almost feels like I wasted my money on new tires period. 

Every tractor here is on a different brand and/or style of tire. Any time Dad ever put tires on a tractor he went for whatever the best deal was at the time. Can't say as any of them have been particularly bad, but most of them are outdated designs that you can't get now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kinda agree with him. I work mostly hay ground, have a bunch of red tractors, some with new Firestone radials, some with new firestone non radials, others with worn Goodyears that guys say are junk….and they all work just fine.   Yea, damp ground, on a side hill,  I can feel the radials flex and hold a bit better.  $800 better though…maybe not for you.   Firestone just had a $600 sale off a set of radials in that size this fall.  Now I’ve heard they  do that every fall. My neighbor got a good deal on a set. 

• Thanks 1

Firestone tires are good in the field but wear poorly on the road I am talking about radials. They wear two lugs off and one stays long. I’ve been told by dealers it’s air pressure but every body in the area says the same thing. When they wear like that the tractor rides bad has a lot of vibrations. The last two sets have been BKT and haven’t been on long enough to know yet. About 3 hundred bucks a tire less than Firestone. 

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Bought two sets of Firestone bias this fall, 16.9x38's and 20.8x38's. Both sets got to the dealer in two business days. I would think 18.4's, a way more common size, would be readily available.

Must be a location thing. I keep asking and the response is always the same. Tire guy is sitting on the new rims and one tire so there's motivation to complete the job.

3 hours ago, Red666 said:

Firestone tires are good in the field but wear poorly on the road I am talking about radials. They wear two lugs off and one stays long. I’ve been told by dealers it’s air pressure but every body in the area says the same thing. When they wear like that the tractor rides bad has a lot of vibrations. The last two sets have been BKT and haven’t been on long enough to know yet. About 3 hundred bucks a tire less than Firestone. 

We have run many road miles with the radial all traction tires and I can't think of any ever wearing evenly. 40+ tire experience, not just a few 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

Must be a location thing. I keep asking and the response is always the same. Tire guy is sitting on the new rims and one tire so there's motivation to complete the job.

We are only about 30 miles from the factory.

Are you really gaining anything with radial over bias on a 100 HP 806?   

Radials float better than Bias (less ground pressure) - the 806 isn't that heavy to begin with.

Radials can put more HP the ground.....but the 806 doesn't have enough HP to spin a 16.9-38 bias tire out in most conditions anyway.  If you don't have a little slippage you just are harder on the drivetrain and pull the engine down quicker.  I found this out the hard way by putting 8 radials on a 4386 - too much tire, not enough HP, no slippage, just lugged the engine down in every hard spot.  Had to drop an extra gear over the original bias.  (Floated great though!)

I had 18.4-34's bias on my 806 and didn't see that radials would have helped any.   My recommendation would be bias for most conditions.  Now, if you are working in very soft fields or similar (or are VERY concerned about compaction) maybe the radials would help.

Now, any 1206/1066 HP & up, yes, I'd maybe go for the radials - certainly for a 1466.

One final thought - hang a 3pt drill on that old girl with radial tires and you'll be rockin & wobbling around the ends as the tires squishy this way & that - sometimes those old bias tires can just work better for certain jobs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We haven't had much luck with bias tires holding up in the last 10 years, seem to have bad casings and tear up the tube.  We have radials on the 966, similar horsepower, and absolutely love them over the 3 year old bias that came apart. Same experience on the 1586. 

• Like 2

We went Firestone on the 560 . 
Because in the long run I felt that the wheels slipping of inferior tires would be a cost avoidance in the long run I wasted fuel. 
I also have witnessed the rapid dry rotting at the cheaper off shore mfr. increased fuel cost also .

So what’s the time difference three years to make up the difference in cost . After that cheaper  tires will  6 years the will double the cost difference loss from the price 

23 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Bought two sets of Firestone bias this fall, 16.9x38's and 20.8x38's. Both sets got to the dealer in two business days. I would think 18.4's, a way more common size, would be readily available.

Conversely, 18.4's are much more popular and would be more likely to be backlogged in demand. When I put tires on the 5220 last spring, the tire guy said he could get me all the 16.9x38 SAT's I wanted, even thought they were on sale. Turned out they weren't, or that's what I would have bought.

8 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Conversely, 18.4's are much more popular and would be more likely to be backlogged in demand. When I put tires on the 5220 last spring, the tire guy said he could get me all the 16.9x38 SAT's I wanted, even thought they were on sale. Turned out they weren't, or that's what I would have bought.

Good point Matt. Hadn't thought of that angle. When I ordered the 16.9's, they are only available in Super All traction. More choices in 20.8's. Tire guy wrote down SAT 2 at first, told him I don't want 2's. So he priced the real ones, about $150 apiece higher. I think the Super all traction bias were still about $500 apiece less than the radials. Rebate was over too.

We are lucky here as we have a great local tire shop. Owner seems to be like the energizer bunny, he just keeps going.

• Like 1