Recommended Forums for JD?

Jeff-C-IL

GASP - GREEN Question??   

Well, not all of us can be blessed to use only the good red stuff....   I have my Grandma's B and a 7410 (could not find a CIH 5000 series when I was looking)

So, my question is - is there a forum like RedPower, but for JD, where you can get decent help on a later model JD like the 7410?    My Dash lights are out and would like some advice.

most of the JD sites that claim they are one are bogged with lawn mowers and sub compacts

or are ripe with 20 series as their popularity to restore is evident

same with Ford sites are bogged with N series and utilities up to 5000 or so 

If you are checking a forum do a search for your tractor and others like it and see if their are any posts and what the responses are before bothering to sign up

I would try yesterdays tractors as I have received some helpful info there myself.....

This is THE BEST FORUM I found for anything.Whether it's a another brand of farm machinery,construction equipment,UTVs,Jeeps etc etc etc.The way it's developed,how its set up for technical help on anything IH ,trucks,farm equipment,construction etc.The different forums for general conversation.The ease in asking questions,time-lines,answering questions, posting pictures. Just a well designed site with really nice, knowledgeable people that contribute their knowledge, remarks and to those that maintain this site THANK YOU. 

• Like 5

I actually work on mostly green stuff anymore.  Unfortunately I'm not a computer and would need to look at a schematic to point you in the right direction.  I envy guys who can memorize that stuff 

The area Mennonite shop might be willing to answer questions.  I make no promises as the main focus is parts but then you might wind up buying parts from them.  Green Light Products 800-730-4020 Penn Yan, NY.  As far as websites like others have said they either run ultra modern or focus on residential products.

I mean, if you're a tried and true red chest-thumper, every JD question can be answered the same way: Junk it!

If you're rich enough to own a Deere, you're rich enough to send it to the dealer every time it has a hiccup, then cry and complain about "right to repair" even though you can't tell the difference between the box end and open end of a wrench... 

Onelonelyfarmer has torn into many a Deere tractor over the years. Just grabs the wrenches and dives right in and figures it out as he goes along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Well, Dang.   I didn't see anything that new on Yesterday's Tractors.....and I did see lots of Homeowner posts on the few others I looked at.

There is a "Today's Tractors" board on there, although no one has checked in since Aug. 8. Someone might know what you're dealing with on the "Tractor Talk" board.

Mike

Smokstak wheel rubber tractor for the tractor B ,possibly , 

good question 

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I mean, if you're a tried and true red chest-thumper, every JD question can be answered the same way: Junk it!

If you're rich enough to own a Deere, you're rich enough to send it to the dealer every time it has a hiccup, then cry and complain about "right to repair" even though you can't tell the difference between the box end and open end of a wrench... 

Har Har.  I do get it though, those JD tractor guts are a mystery....

10 years ago, I needed a cab tractor in the 100 HP range, as I found I was getting sick planting & spraying on the open tractor.   Like, a week of misery every time.  IDK why but something in the dust or chemicals bothering me I guess.  Doc told me I had to get a cab tractor with A/C. ( the 806 had to go).   

I initially looked for a 5140 or similar, could not find anything.   This JD 7410 popped up local at ~ $10k less than any of the CIH models I had found... low hours, and in very good shape.    I have to say its been a darn reliable tractor - and the few parts I have gotten have been significantly cheaper than a comparable CIH part.   I think I paid $36 for the starter relay!  (Can't even get a generic online for that).   

Important thing is I no longer get sick.

• Like 4

YT mag has forums for pert near anything. Tractor Talk is a general forum where you'll usually get plenty of answers and a lot of them have nothing to do with your question. 

It's best to use the individual forums. Someone on the JD forum can answer your questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Onelonelyfarmer has torn into many a Deere tractor over the years. Just grabs the wrenches and dives right in and figures it out as he goes along.

Lol. 

Coming from a mainly Deere background I can understand the feeling when tackling another brand. I'll pull out the manuals and ask myself "what were they thinking "? The old Deeres were so simple a child could read the manual and fix them. When I left the dealership in 95 they were on the computer and bounced you back and forth until you were ready to pull your hair out. I sorta feel that way with the IH 424 manuals but it's more what they don't tell you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Har Har.  I do get it though, those JD tractor guts are a mystery....

10 years ago, I needed a cab tractor in the 100 HP range, as I found I was getting sick planting & spraying on the open tractor.   Like, a week of misery every time.  IDK why but something in the dust or chemicals bothering me I guess.  Doc told me I had to get a cab tractor with A/C. ( the 806 had to go).   

I initially looked for a 5140 or similar, could not find anything.   This JD 7410 popped up local at ~ $10k less than any of the CIH models I had found... low hours, and in very good shape.    I have to say its been a darn reliable tractor - and the few parts I have gotten have been significantly cheaper than a comparable CIH part.   I think I paid $36 for the starter relay!  (Can't even get a generic online for that).   

Important thing is I no longer get sick.

Anything after the 50/55 series is beyond my John Deere expertise. We were farming a lot more by then and just messing with the easy stuff. My buddy had a 7410 on a loader. It came from peat moss farm way out in eastern Canada. The local John Deere dealers were bringing them in here putting loaders on a selling them like hot cakes. He traded that in on a new 7920 or 30 ivt with loader.  I did some work on a couple of those and 6400 tractors.  The only real trouble people ever had were the electric hydraulic controls.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, M-MAN said:

Lol. 

Coming from a mainly Deere background I can understand the feeling when tackling another brand. I'll pull out the manuals and ask myself "what were they thinking "? The old Deeres were so simple a child could read the manual and fix them. When I left the dealership in 95 they were on the computer and bounced you back and forth until you were ready to pull your hair out. I sorta feel that way with the IH 424 manuals but it's more what they don't tell you. 

That's about how I've felt when working on a Deere. I'd ask myself what were they thinking? Or how could something be so simple on a red tractor be so complicated on a green one. But growing up red I could see how some ideas carried into the next series and some general things made sense.     Guy next to me has an 8 speed in a 4440 tore apart and to me it just looks like a lot of extra parts inside and unnecessarily complicated compared to a Magnum and it has less then half the gears. But it's just so different from what I'm more used to. 

I always thought John Deere was easier  in most areas to service. Their transmission was in one housing compared to two on a IH tractor. John Deere’s two speed didn’t require a second split to remove. Once tractor was split for clutch you could remove it from front of trans. IH tractors you had to remove speed transmission.  JD steering on a 4020 was a bit more complicated but once you understood them they worked also. JD front steering sector was made to be fixed in tractor remove one side frame rail and it came apart.  JD hyd pump was more work but you could rebuild them and pound for pound they used to be more reasonable than an IHC pump. The brakes on a jd were inboard where all other  brands moved them in later years. The rear axle on jd had the pinion to move wheels. It was more helpful if everything wasn’t rusted.

Does the dash still display information correctly? If so then there should still be some micro bulbs in the dash that could be replaced. However, if the dash is not displaying information anymore it will either need replaced or there is a possibility that ag express could fix it. 

The dash displays info just fine - you just can't see it in the dark!   I wouldn't think all the "microbulbs" would let go at once, so I thought maybe there was some other issue....like a single tube light for the display or a switch somewhere (the dimmer does not change anything, IIRC).