So, who is aching for a farm toy for Christmas?

766 Man

I got thinking about the IH Number 10 grain drill I got as a kid around 1970 this morning.  Sure would be nice to have another one.  It was not Christmas that day but my birthday and it sure was blowing snow.  I remember the box wrapped in gift paper and when I first saw it the box was sitting on mom's Kenmore dish washer.  I wish that I had taken better care of it but I was a typical kid who could be a bit aggressive with things.  I see a 1/16 scale 1460 combine advertised for 625 dollars available early 2024.  At that point I will go looking for a real 234 corn picker.

• Like 2

I am always hoping for new farm toys for Christmas!  The precision 1460 is on my list.  We have the real thing, so it tugs at my emotions!  I found a nice drill to replace the one I wore out grass farming as a child....  good memories. 

• Like 2

I wasn’t too hard on stuff, my favorite took it the hardest, an H, it still sits among the rest on display, but is missing its stack and air cleaner, still gets taken down along with the Allis wagon for little kids who want to play. 
My daughter just discovered my precision Farmall Regular and Little Genius plow models, guess i have to put them away, not working to explain that just yet. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I wasn’t too hard on stuff, my favorite took it the hardest, an H, it still sits among the rest on display, but is missing its stack and air cleaner, still gets taken down along with the Allis wagon for little kids who want to play. 
My daughter just discovered my precision Farmall Regular and Little Genius plow models, guess i have to put them away, not working to explain that just yet. 

That brings back a memory. When my son was about 3 (he's 18 now)he got my Regular and Little Genius off the shelf and promptly broke the tail wheel off and some levers off the tractor. I was not happy especially when he had 100 other tractors he could play with. Doesn't seem so important now and just brings a smile to my face 🙂

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think that the worst thing for me was not putting my toys away after I got done playing with them.  A couple got ran over by dad as I played near the garage when the weather was warm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

I got thinking about the IH Number 10 grain drill I got as a kid around 1970 this morning.  Sure would be nice to have another one.  It was not Christmas that day but my birthday and it sure was blowing snow.  I remember the box wrapped in gift paper and when I first saw it the box was sitting on mom's Kenmore dish washer.  I wish that I had taken better care of it but I was a typical kid who could be a bit aggressive with things.  I see a 1/16 scale 1460 combine advertised for 625 dollars available early 2024.  At that point I will go looking for a real 234 corn picker.

Dad has several of his farm toys from when he was a kid. One bring the 10 drill. Missing a few parts tho. 

There is a picture of Christmas Day 1971 at his grandparents house and under the tree was a new 1/16th IH 1456 with cab. I think there was also a red 1/32nd scale tractor too.  Dad was about a year and a half old. Christmas Day 2001 I was nine months old and got a 1/16th IH 756 Custom with Hiniker Cab. 

We both still have these tractors today. His has been restored, mine is original. I was always one for some reason to not play hard with my toys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Dad has several of his farm toys from when he was a kid. One bring the 10 drill. Missing a few parts tho. 

There is a picture of Christmas Day 1971 at his grandparents house and under the tree was a new 1/16th IH 1456 with cab. I think there was also a red 1/32nd scale tractor too.  Dad was about a year and a half old. Christmas Day 2001 I was nine months old and got a 1/16th IH 756 Custom with Hiniker Cab. 

We both still have these tractors today. His has been restored, mine is original. I was always one for some reason to not play hard with my toys. 

I got a 1456 with cab and duals around the same time.  I have not seen it for decades now.  I should not complain as I have more farm toys than space to display or store them.  But there is always that thrill that comes with Christmas and unwrapping a present.   

• Like 1

I guess to show my 756 like I talked about above. I probably got the hat around the 2001-2002 timeframe too. 

IMG_3614.thumb.jpeg.68655482dfc6242e8d642edb2ff7620a.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KY2674 said:

That brings back a memory. When my son was about 3 (he's 18 now)he got my Regular and Little Genius off the shelf and promptly broke the tail wheel off and some levers off the tractor. I was not happy especially when he had 100 other tractors he could play with. Doesn't seem so important now and just brings a smile to my face 🙂

I like your story and can relate.  When my son was quite young, 15 now, he moved my desk chair and climbed on it to look at my 560 precision with 2MH picker.  He dropped it and broke the elevator.  I wasn't happy either but makes me smile now.  I loved it when he was younger and took interest in farming.  As he's gotten older he's lost interest.  I wish that didn't change but we can't force them to like the things we like.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KY2674 said:

My nephew got into my room when I wasn’t home, got into my 1/64 NIP tractors. He still brings it up every once in a while. lol 

• Like 2

I used to do this. Became trained not to grab anything really fragile. Took best care I could of dads stuff! Notice the Gleaners, those were dad’s and uncles. You can see the 1456 I mentioned above to the right of the 1206.

IMG_2801_Original.thumb.jpeg.9b38468656cb410bd7458d7de7f94917.jpeg

• Like 2

Precision models get expensive in a hurry.  The 1460 combine is interesting but more than I want to lay out.  A number 10 drill and a 1456 tractor would whet my appetite.  I always wanted a JD 4450 in the precision line but excellent ones still hold above 300 dollars.  Then there is the real equipment such as a 140 wagon and 234 picker.  Just not enough money for it all.  

• Like 1

Brother had a 1466, AC 190, IH plow, and a grain drill of some sort. I had a Ford 9000, a Tru-Scale red nf tractor, green disk, and a red box trailer of some sort. The Ford got run over be a fuel delivery truck.  Mom still has most of those boxed up, the last I knew.

Myself, I had an HO scale train set. Burlington Northern engine, Texaco tanker, Heinz 57 box car, a coal car, a flatbed car/pipe load, and a Santa Fe caboose. And an oval track. Over the years have added at least $1,000.00 expansion to the collection, bldgs, refinery, tanks, houses,etc. Probably have at least 100 cars of all sorts, 30 or so engines, boxes and boxes of track, and power transformers. 
One of these days, I’ll get it unboxed and set-up again.

• Like 4

I always got one or two new tractors/equipment every Christmas. Nothing made me happier. I've continued collecting off and on through the years. I would still welcome some toy tractor presents. I think most people outside the hobby would be surprised at the price difference in 30 years, though.

• Like 2

One of the most fun farm toys I had was the Ford 7500 backhoe.  Extremely durable and excellent paint.  In the 1/12 scale I believe just like the 8000 & 9000 tractors.  I could get that to push or dig hard ground.  It was that tough.  Mom gave it to a kid who did not have much at the time and as I got older I could appreciate the gesture even though I really did not want to give it up.  Another toy on the list of things to replace.  

• Like 1

Just now, melvinapple said:

I always got one or two new tractors/equipment every Christmas. Nothing made me happier. I've continued collecting off and on through the years. I would still welcome some toy tractor presents. I think most people outside the hobby would be surprised at the price difference in 30 years, though.

During the early 1970's dad bought me a JD utiliity tractor toy (2020?) and I recall it being 3.00 dollars.  Dad went ahead and bought it while I was bugging him at the JD dealer.  I still have that.  Also still have a 3020 that I got as a birthday gift.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KY2674 said:

Now he breaks rubber in 3rd gear?😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 766 Man said:

One of the most fun farm toys I had was the Ford 7500 backhoe.  Extremely durable and excellent paint.  In the 1/12 scale I believe just like the 8000 & 9000 tractors.  I could get that to push or dig hard ground.  It was that tough.  Mom gave it to a kid who did not have much at the time and as I got older I could appreciate the gesture even though I really did not want to give it up.  Another toy on the list of things to replace.  

I had an International backhoe when I was a kid that I dug A LOT of holes with.  Now it's been fixed up and repainted and sits on the hutch above my desk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I had an International backhoe when I was a kid that I dug A LOT of holes with.  Now it's been fixed up and repainted and sits on the hutch above my desk.

I had one of those too. $17. at the Farm and Home in Toledo, IA.  I saved my allowance of .50 a week and then went in and tried to pay with quarters.  The owner told me to keep my money, it was already paid for!  I found out later that Mom paid for it the day I looked at it and it was set back with my name on it. 

It dug a lot of holes in my sandbox.  I always took care of it and treasure it to this day.  Good memories!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I had one of those too. $17. at the Farm and Home in Toledo, IA.  I saved my allowance of .50 a week and then went in and tried to pay with quarters.  The owner told me to keep my money, it was already paid for!  I found out later that Mom paid for it the day I looked at it and it was set back with my name on it. 

It dug a lot of holes in my sandbox.  I always took care of it and treasure it to this day.  Good memories!

Hopefully, your allowance is more than 50 cents per week in terms of paying for the 1460 combine.  Don't get me wrong as I think it would be an excellent acquisition but I don't have the emotional connection needed to lay out the big money for it.  

• Haha 1

Man I had to look back and think and it brought a smile to my face. In the early 90's I got a 1/16th scale 3294 to match my dad's 3394, a case mixer, and a case 5100 grain drill that the sales guy gave to my dad after he bought a new one. From my grandma I got a john deere trailer, haybine and baler. My cousins and I all got the same things. My son still has those pieces........they sure farmed a lot of sand and carpet. 

original_4b294a72-f30c-4da2-8bbb-f4b887738069_20221029_150812.thumb.jpg.260a1d1f1b03d2143278db966ea27ed8.jpgScreenshot_20230303_205012_Snapchat2.thumb.jpg.e0d9b569c7e3b1768b79db00d0ca5402.jpg

To me growing up in the 90's as a farm kid was great for the toy selection.  Every store like kmart, fleet farm, farm and fleet and shopko had ertl farm country sets with the detailed boxes. My mom worked at Fleet Farm part time to try to bring in extra money to the farm. She'd set up toyland.....this was when it was very secretive and they had a wall around it and shed tell me the latest farm sets that came out. I still build displays but not like I use to.

20210123_071626.thumb.jpg.cd6784a1a220e74e9a79f6c027762b3a.jpg20210123_190848.thumb.jpg.e63e51c2f2b9982687d99a7ecafe4c92.jpgoriginal_698a80d1-7607-4062-9919-9d2131fe0250_Screenshot_20230121_200205_Samsung20Internet.thumb.jpg.27d2df56f49db29776cce11c62394d15.jpg20230317_212553.thumb.jpg.a9db3411728043c484de9f6b634da726.jpg20210123_071636.thumb.jpg.957ba5e3981c62eafc3c21cc094c2019.jpg

Id like to get a detailed farmall m and a plow to replicate my set up.

20230901_1911332.thumb.jpg.b6e67ed8b13f9d8e3d5369040e0c69ad.jpg

we'll see. I like buying real toys but always nice to have a model of something. I think that's why we collect real tractors and toy tractors. We need a smaller replica or it reminds us of more simple times growing up or an item grandpa or dad had.

I'd love to replicate this picture sometime for a Christmas card but don't have enough family for it.

Screenshot_20231129_161243_Snapchat.thumb.jpg.4b2e3e4d961c5aa9a899971b970cc544.jpg

20210123_071633.jpg

• Like 3