Springfield Bain

nomorejohndeere

How do you get the tires off those hubs?? Looks like a pain & I don't think they would work on a tire changer.

Is that a '68 Wildcat in the second-last pic?

Mike

43 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

How do you get the tires off those hubs?? Looks like a pain & I don't think they would work on a tire changer...

Oh that's easy Mike. The single bolt holds the entire wheel on, you just jack it up and slide the hub off the skein. They should fit on a tire machine. The wheel on my 101 corn picker is similar, smaller hub hole but same principle. The local tire shop put a used truck tire on it for me no problem. 

As an aside, I covet that wagon! If I'm not mistaken, the wood sticking up out of the bed is a shoveling board; not something you see much anymore. 

Mac

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Oh that's easy Mike. The single bolt holds the entire wheel on, you just jack it up and slide the hub off the skein. They should fit on a tire machine. The wheel on my 101 corn picker is similar, smaller hub hole but same principle. The local tire shop put a used truck tire on it for me no problem. 

As an aside, I covet that wagon! If I'm not mistaken, the wood sticking up out of the bed is a shoveling board; not something you see much anymore. 

Mac

That's good to know. There's some decent tires on an old wood running gear here that I've been pondering about for a while. Hate to let them sit out & now, hopefully.... I can put them to good use.

I had thought that was a grain pusher too, but for boxcars. It looks a bit wide for the wagon. It may be missing the handles, too.

Mike

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

My Dad always called them a scoop board, but you are correct.  Dad has 1 hanging in a shed that's been there as long as I can remember.  Way before my time but he said they used them on the old triple boxes pulled behind horses, and later tractors. Before they had hoists.  You know why you don't see them anymore???  Because now a days people don't even want to crank their semi hoppers, you can get electric hoppers...people sure aren't going to scoop off a load of ear corn.  😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oleman said:

You beat me to postings. I have seen most wooden spokes wheel they have restored. I am sure he could replace any missing spokes on a wooden wheel.

He's making an excellent archive! Great content.