Cheaper brand cordless tools?

acem

All Milwaukee

Drills, impacts, sawzall, grinder, lights, thinking about inflator, bunch of 5 amp, couple 2 amp batteries.

Haven't had even a battery get weak or go bad

Oldest getting close to ten years old.

Initial purchase price, yeah, seems too high for ranch duty

But when you need it, you want it to work

Buy once, cry once

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

It's no harder to keep up with than having ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise in the fridge.

It's not about "keeping up." It's about the cost. Condiments are cheap. Batteries are not.

Every time you start in with a new tool line, you need at least two batteries, plus a charger. If you want decent batteries you're looking at around $200 just to get your foot in the door. Every time you start in with a new tool line.

Or, you can buy just one set of batteries and stick with the same tool line. Granted, there are some adapters but they're homemade on 3D printers and sold on Etsy. 

4 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

seems like the batteries go bad quicker if not used on a regular basis.

I agree.  Charge them, use them often and re charge.   Last SO much longer when used frequently. To sit unused is to die..

I did forget to add my endorsement for Ryobi. Not the best but you won't be paying for the best. Lots of good deals on them at Home Depot right now.

I've got drills, saws, impact drivers, grease guns... The only thing I can't recommend is the angle grinders. They're too power hungry and the batteries Ryobi has right now can't keep up. If you put any pressure on the grinder at all, the battery kicks out. This is even with a brand new, super-expensive "high output" 6Ah battery.

27 minutes ago, Red River North said:

I have all Makita cordless tools and like them, including an angle grinder and string trimmer. I haven't used other brands, so I can't compare. 

FWIW - One of the big cattle ranching chains here in Oz seems to have standardised on Makita

You guys have caused me to think back on my old 19.2v craftsman stuff that they quit supporting... A quick Amazon search shows that I can get two new 19.2 v 3.6 AH batteries for $32! I believe I'll put these back in rotation. 

From the 19.2 I switched several years ago to the newer Craftman Lithion Ion stuff. It works good for my needs, but it isn't as good as the Milwaukee that my FIL has. If I had it to do over, I'm not sure I would have gone with Craftsman. But I don't dislike it and will probably buy more pieces as I need them. My favorite is the battery 1/2" impact and the powered 3/8 ratchet.

If I just wanted some odds and ends and didn't want to pay for whatever premium brand your other stuff is, I would buy Harbor Freight. Our Harbor Freight will take stuff back or exchange it if it fails even if you didn't buy the warranty. I have some of their corded stuff, and it works fine. I wouldn't be afraid of the better line of battery stuff.

I'm not sure it would be considered a cheaper brand, but I have a few Ingersoll 1/2-inch impact guns that will outperform anything offered by Dewalt or Milwaukee.

That said, the battery life is directly proportional to the cost for any portable tool.

43 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Go to Lowe’s and get the Kobalt stuff. Bulletproof! I have absolutely no issues with them, and would buy again.

I agree bought 24v set at a pawn shop years ago.  I eventually added the string trimmer, blower for my mom.  No issues except the drill chuck on the drill, was a pain to remove it.  You can pick up lightly used on FB market place pretty cheap.

Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Milwaukee,..  Same batteries for everything.   I have the impacts 3/8", 1/2", drills, drivers, table saw, miter saw, nail guns, sawzall, invertors,  weed eaters, chainsaw, pole saw, leaf blowers, air compressors,   ALL one battery type.   Best thing ever.   no more mixing gas for 3 different things, dont even hardly use shop air comp anymore unless i need the air gun,

Mike

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I know it doesn't answer your question and isn't what you asked.  But the bare tools that you are talking about are fairly inexpensive.  If you have batteries already from other tools I would just buy the bare tools.

I understand but the next tool I want is a compact blower.  At Lowe's and home Depot they're $169.  Ryobi is $59. Bauer is $49. For $169 I can get several accessories from Ryobi or Bauer...

Maybe I can find a used one.

Also I need another drill. My DeWalt had a mishap. It still works but it's on its last leg. I don't blame the tool but the operator (not me)...

1 hour ago, acem said:

I understand but the next tool I want is a compact blower.  At Lowe's and home Depot they're $169.  Ryobi is $59. Bauer is $49. For $169 I can get several accessories from Ryobi or Bauer...

Maybe I can find a used one.

Also I need another drill. My DeWalt had a mishap. It still works but it's on its last leg. I don't blame the tool but the operator (not me)...

If its just the plastic shell that is broken i had the same issue, I found where i was able to buy both halves oF the plastic chassis for something like 20 bucks, it went another 5 years in daily use, still in the basement getting used. No stickers, it got labeled “generic” 

for instance 

IMG_3028.png

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

If its just the plastic shell that is broken i had the same issue, I found where i was able to buy both halves oF the plastic chassis for something like 20 bucks, it went another 5 years in daily use, still in the basement getting used. No stickers, it got labeled “generic” 

for instance 

IMG_3028.png

Unfortunately it's the clutch that's bad. My wife and her friend were drilling a zillion holes in Oak logs for mushrooms. Her friend had brought her drill and batteries that were identical to ours.

When I went out and saw them burning up batteries fast, overheating the drills with dulled bits, etc I had them stop. I got them corded drills. They were right by an outlet they were using to recharge the batteries.

When I used our drill next time the batteries had a noticably shorter charge time and the clutch was weak. I don't know if the abuse or our drills/batteries got accidentally swapped. They were identical models. We bought ours new and it was barely used. They buy everything used at pawn shops/ flea markets. I'm not mad it just happened. They are good friends and I would never say anything to them. I did explain to the wife to use corded drills next time.

So I need to buy a DeWalt drill but I want a compact blower...

On 11/27/2023 at 12:00 PM, sandhiller said:

All Milwaukee

Drills, impacts, sawzall, grinder, lights, thinking about inflator, bunch of 5 amp, couple 2 amp batteries.

Haven't had even a battery get weak or go bad

Oldest getting close to ten years old.

Initial purchase price, yeah, seems too high for ranch duty

But when you need it, you want it to work

Buy once, cry once

69F9A6FA-915E-45F2-B0D0-C8CFBA62A54B.thumb.png.534733755d528369cb6ae3317a91663d.png