Cheaper brand cordless tools?

acem

I would like a few cordless tools that I can't justify paying the price for in DeWalt. Things like a compact blower, portable fan, portable light, etc. I've resisted having multiple brands of batteries but I'm about ready. 

I'm considering buying another set. Probably Bauer or Ryobi.

I've also seen battery adapters so I could use my DeWalt batteries in the other tools 

Any experiences with cheaper cordless tools or adapters?

Personally I would favor Ryobi over HF anything, i will say though, I have tried the Bauer tools alongside the Milwaukee real ones, the difference is real, you are paying for more than the name. 
if you want to split the difference, Rigid makes some really decent tools and they seem a little lower price point. 

I have a bunch of ryobi tools, and I really like them. For my use, they're perfect. Probably wouldn't want to make a living with them but for farm use they work just fine. Battery life is decent, especially with the newer heavy duty 4 aH ones. The best part, the Ryobi stuff is half the price of comparable Dewalt or Rigid tools. 

Mac

I hate to be that guy but I feel like you pay for what you get.  If you are going to use them regularly you'll end up better off in the long run sticking with Milwaukee or Dewalt.   Seems like Milwaukee is favored 2 to 1 vs Dewalt here locally with the pros.

• Like 2

Just now, acem said:

Just to clarify. 

I'm not taking about heavy duty tools that I count on. (Drill, impact, grinders etc)

I'm taking about side items that would be handy for occasional use. (Lights, blower, fan, etc)

Personally, if you’re going to do it, you should just do it. Multiple battery systems are a real pain in the marbles, the performance is going to be lackluster and you will have spent good money on something mediocre. 
that said i know a few people working every day with ryobi, they really don’t work as well, but they do legitimately seem to work. 
for the blower you want the best power/efficiency you can get, and entry level tools aren’t going to get you that. 

• Like 1

I bought Ryobi drill ~2000 and used it daily building my house and that product was great back then, I think it's demise was not getting used as much later, I have a couple Rigids now that are ok, if you are going multiple tools it might be better to stay on one brand, I think Milwaukee is tops currently and their price is also, their product lineup is pretty impressive, for a blower I think ECO or EGO is tops? I've been thinking of going Milwaukee impacts and putting away all the air tools, if I build a cabin off grid it would be handy and a gas welder generator should handle most jobs that are waiting.

I had a roof put on my house and the one guy had Ryobi tools, and another was giving him heck. His answer was I us to have a crew when putting up steel buildings and he supplied tools. They would have a contest to see how high a drill/driver would bounce on the concrete. So the heck with having the costly name brands.  And years later he still has Ryobi tools that work. So not saying there are not better, but they will do a lot of work.

• Like 2

Don't fret having more than one battery brand.  It's no harder to keep up with than having ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise in the fridge.

If you were running a worksite mobile with a crew then yea, but not around your house/shop.

I have Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ryobi, Hercules, and one rogue Ingersoll Rand grinder(not impressed).  I keep them grouped as to where I'm keeping/using them.  But that allows me to get good deals, on sale or marketplace.

Are you looking for work lights for garage, engine bay etc?  Look into the magnetic palm sized lights that recharge with usb.  They are the bomb.

I would go Ryobi before Bauer.

I admit I had to tie a sock around the Ryobi fan to keep it from rotating down when in use.....

I have a usb rechargeable fan that moves alot of air compared to the Ryobi as it is much larger.  But you can't just change out the battery...

I have some adapters just in case I need them but I don't use them other than to try them after purchase.  I think they would be great for stationary stuff but for handheld tools they add to the bulk and vibrate around....

All the sets I have owned, the batteries give out long before the tool.  It’s a shame actually.  

I have old pre-buyout Milwaukee 14.4V tools, and they are so much better made than the new stuff.  But the batteries are old, and I had them re-celled locally, but they sucked.  

Buy the ones you can afford - it’s a bit “you get what you pay for”.  But it also seems to be a case of planned obsolescence, so you should expect the battery packs to be obsolete in 10years anyway, leaving most people with a bunch of useless, but still mechanically functioning tools.  (Insert EV car comments here)

• Like 1

FIL has at least 4 different brands on his farm.  What a pain, from batteries not taking charge anymore to batteries needing a charge when you need them to having put 3 different batteries in the pickup when going to work on something.  I realized that the money for a Dewalt or Milwaukee is sometimes ridiculous,  but inuusually try to buy one or two items a year and spread the cost out. Even if I rarely use something, the batteries are always ready. We have Dewalt and a few Hitachi, would trade any of them and wouldn't want a 3rd brand either. 

Right now there are Christmas specials at Home Depot. Stick with one brand is my plan. I've got nothing but Dewalt and am happy with them. I'm sure I'd be happy with Milwaukee as well. I've got three chargers with batteries in them, all Dewalt, and have another charger at the hangar too.

53 minutes ago, JaredT said:

FIL has at least 4 different brands on his farm.  What a pain, from batteries not taking charge anymore to batteries needing a charge when you need them to having put 3 different batteries in the pickup when going to work on something.  I realized that the money for a Dewalt or Milwaukee is sometimes ridiculous,  but inuusually try to buy one or two items a year and spread the cost out. Even if I rarely use something, the batteries are always ready. We have Dewalt and a few Hitachi, would trade any of them and wouldn't want a 3rd brand either. 

Look into the trade in promotions, FW Webb runs a couple a year. 100 bucks trade in on a competitors or even an old Milwaukee tool.

I have four different brands, dewalt, makita, Milwaukee and bauer. I have a Milwaukee impact which is awesome. I can't justify spending that much money on items I use in frequently though. Because of that I started with a Bauer inflator/tire pump to fill up my daughter's tube to tow behind my boat. I like that enough that I added a leaf blower, vacuum, handheld grinder and chainsaw. I have two of the larger batteries. So far everything has worked great and I don't regret buying the Bauer brand.

I also have DeWalt drills, skillsaw, and jigsaw. The 18 volt batteries are the main issue I've had with dewalt. I am now using a 20 volt adapter and that seems to work better.

I have a Makita drill and driver combo that has gone through two home renovations and is still going strong. The only problem with those is that the lithium ion batteries will eventually get locked out by the chargers if the cells get out of balance thereby canning the battery pack. 

For infrequently used items I would have no problem going with bauer.

The Hercules brand at HF seems to be good with a 3 year battery/ 5 year tool warranty. My son has purchased a few of the tools and they have been just fine. Prices are really great if you get in on the deals of buying batteries and getting a free tool. 
Him and I both have Dewalt cordless tools too. He also has an older Craftsman 19v set given to him from a neighbor. Those use an adapter from Amazon to run the Dewalt 20v batteries. 

I've been running Milwaukee M18 cordless for about 10 years now and have no regrets.  Had Bosch 14.4 ni-cad before that.  Upgraded gradually, and having two different battery platforms in the van was a minor but constant pain in the butt for me.

There are cheaper tools, but I've only regretted spending the extra for Milwaukee at the time of purchase.  The regret that comes with buying a cheap version of a tool that you use regularly lasts a long time.

The Milwaukee batteries are amazing.  I think that's where a lot of cheaper brands save a few bucks, and it shows in tools that are used daily.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

I hate to be that guy but I feel like you pay for what you get.  If you are going to use them regularly you'll end up better off in the long run sticking with Milwaukee or Dewalt.   Seems like Milwaukee is favored 2 to 1 vs Dewalt here locally with the pros.

i agree with your post,Milwaukee is the best, batteries last longer, I have some that are over  years old and still going strong

• Like 1

The only issue I have with multiple brands, are keeping good batteries. Seems like sticking with one brand tool/battery, the batteries last longer. I have never bought an adapter to try on any other brand. I bought Dewalt set in 2003, drill, circular saw, saws all, and light. Lasted for years, but batteries have been rebuilt and junk again. Brother in law gave me his Dewalt tools, same reason. Bought a new Milwaukee set 4 years ago and think they’re better. Have added grease gun, 1/2” impact, weed eater, and want to get a leaf blower next. 
If some things aren’t used often, and you have different brands, seems like the batteries go bad quicker if not used on a regular basis.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Bought a new Milwaukee set 4 years ago and think they’re better. Have added grease gun, 1/2” impact, weed eater, and want to get a leaf blower next. 

The wife has a Milwaukee string trimmer and blower.  She had a Worx brand set before.  The tools were decent, but the batteries were crap.  She had to take frequent charging breaks and could never just finish the job.

That string trimmer is  a beast.  We have a huge clump of ornamental grass that she asks me to trim every spring.  I just wade into it with her trimmer and it just eats the stuff up.

1 minute ago, Steve C. said:

The wife has a Milwaukee string trimmer and blower.  She had a Worx brand set before.  The tools were decent, but the batteries were crap.  She had to take charging breaks and could never just finish the job.

That string trimmer is  a beast.  We have a huge clump of ornamental grass that she asks me to trim every spring.  I just wade into it with her trimmer and it just eats the stuff up.

I have a tool store about 4 miles away and they are a Milwaukee dealer, and working on becoming a repair shop for them also. They sell factory reconditioned tools, great prices. Just bought the weed eater for $150.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

I have a tool store about 4 miles away and they are a Milwaukee dealer, and working on becoming a repair shop for them also. They sell factory reconditioned tools, great prices. Just bought the weed eater for $150.

In Sparta?

We have some Bauer and Hercules, my boy has some DeWalt. We used to be all DeWalt but we were at the point where all the 18 volt batteries were giving trouble despite being rebuilt. For small usege they are fine. We had went away from DeWalt corded grinders when we had one that didn't last a day . The Hazzard freight is almost cheaper than a set of brushes for the DeWalt ..... 

For heavy use name brand you get what you pay for