Questionable work ethics

Only RED in the shed

At a shop I worked as a kid the owner was taking care of his sister's drug head kid; drove him in every day, gave him the oil change jobs and he'd strip 2 out of 5 plugs. It was pointless to tell him the plug had a big hex simply to have a body big enough to let the oil out and that the pan was only sheet metal. We finally cut a bunch of wrenches down that became "Sandy's wrenches". He was honored! He was a speed freak and would talk the ear off anyone who happened to be near. He still had to be watched in case he picked up an adjustable.

That shop only has warm bodies now.they one by one drove the old guys who had experience out to make room for cheaper labor.sad that was probably the best shop in town at one time. now it's enter at your own risk and hope they don't mess your truck up too bad.they losing customers everyday but don't even care cause there will be new ones coming in who don't know any better.maybe I am a discrunald ex employee.kinda seems like it don't it? Still glad to out of that Volkswagen owned dealership

Glad I took Auto's in HS, as the shop teacher said "if nothing else you will know enough to talk intelligently to the mechanics doing the repair".  After HS I turned wrenches for a place that did farming, trucking and auto repair for customers.  The diversity taught me alot.  I can say we were a fair shop.  Today I do most of my own maintenance and repair.

I have a story of my BIL took his Explorer to the Ford dealership in AZ.  I think it was for tires.  They said his AC was not working and quoted a cost for repair, he said don't worry about it.  He had issues with a blend door or vacuum lines, so he figured he knew the problem.  Come to find out they sabotaged something with the AC so it would not work, making something up when diagnosed it.

Also have my SIL that took her newer Chevrolet Eqinox in for a oil change.  Apparently they over filled it and she drove across state.  Not long into the drive it threw all kinds of dash lights.  I never heard what the oil change did or paid the bill at the chevrolet dealer.

With just these examples I have very little faith in shops.  I feel even the decent ones are trying to beat the flat rate pay in a damn big hurry.

I think back to yesteryear when you would take your farmall H-M in for service and there was a old IH mechanic that took pride in that winter overhaul.

Scott

We’ve had a little bit of work done in shops and have some private guys that run their own shops do some work for us. Overall we haven’t had any bad experiences. I do pretty much all of our repair work but I must admit as I get older I’m getting tired of it. Need a bigger shop so I can spread the workload out into the winter more. It all gets crammed into the summer months usually and doesn’t leave much time for anything else. This summer was worse with the major combine repairs. 

My brother was traveling down to Arizona about 20 years ago with his mid 90tys Toyota 4 runner. He got out into the middle of no where and the serpentine belt started to go I think was the problem. Got to a major center where he could get one and the shop tied to convince him that he needed a water pump too. Said nope just change the belt. Many thousands of kms later he sold it with the same water pump on it yet still running strong. 

• Like 1

Four Seasons Motor Sports in Rapid City SD went through my new to me sled, 2007 Polaris Sidetrack 600.

I told them fix everything that needs fixing, it wasn't cheap

Got it home, it sat for a couple months till we had snow,  and it starts very hard, frustrating. 

I called the mechanic that did the work (he gave me his private cell in case I needed help)

Called him (over the weekend) and told him about the hard start. 

We tried a few things, didn't help

He said the the service mgr will call on Monday to set up an appointment to come get it...come get it?

Service mgr called today and said I hear we have a problem, when can we come get it

How much to come get it?...........No charge!

Do you know how far away I live?  (3 hours) Yes, no charge, you spent the money, we want to make it right. 

Mechanic said probably just need to change some jets or springs or whatever it takes, that sled was solid and I am confident we can make it run great. 

And then apolgized for not getting it right the first time, (he did say it might take some tweaking, I took it up there middle of summer). 

This is the way a service dept should be run and I have nothing but praise for their friendly attitude and integrity

There are good ones out there!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to my neighbor today and he had saved this picture of his  oil filter. “Dealer serviced since new”  and supposedly replaced, by that same dealer, under 2k miles and 3-4 (summer time) months ago…. C7D3333D-0506-49C8-8FD6-2EA572F950C6.thumb.png.426b642b50667363c1853297af622b32.png
that is not light discoloration. That’s crusty, pitted, rust.  Filter came off Hard and it was heavy. You could just feel the heft, I mean built up sludge/contamination in it. 

• Sad 2

On 11/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, Dzldenny said:

Local service place used to change Mom's oil. Always needed a tie rod or alternator or thermostat... Something to pad the bill. Mom purchased a car from my SIL. Same shop stuck my SIL for outer tie rods last oil change. Came up again first time Mom brought it in. They charged her. I showed her that they had not been changed even though they charged for it twice in a few months. Last time either one brought their cars there.

You should speak to the cops about this as this is STEALING!

If they stung your family twice, they are doing it to others.

Help everyone and get it stopped.

PS: A friend bought a nice three wheel motorcycle.

She took it into the dealer and gave them the OK to do what was needed.

She picked it up, paid the rather big bill and took off on a trip.

It broke down in less than 100 miles and needed to be towed in.

The mechanic was steamed at the owner for not taking care of the bike. 

He said no updates had been done and things were neglected.

She showed him the recent bill. 

None of this had been done.

I told her to go to the cops as this is fraud and theft. 

She refused.

I guess it was her call, but, I told her to give me the money next time.

I would at least appreciate it and tell her Thank You!

I had 175 gallons of fuel stolen. Called the cops to report it. They came and filed a report and told me they probably will never catch the guy. I said I wanted it reported so if they do catch the guy I don't come running waiving my hands saying "Me too me too. I was stolen from too."

Three days later farmer one road over caught a guy stealing fuel from his pickup truck in the driveway middle of the night. Called the cops but they did nothing for him and never notified me either. I had to find out by word of mouth.

No point in calling Johnny Law. I have a big mouth. When someone talks about going there for something I share the story and let them decide if that's how and where they want to spend their money.

2 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

I had 175 gallons of fuel stolen. Called the cops to report it. They came and filed a report and told me they probably will never catch the guy. I said I wanted it reported so if they do catch the guy I don't come running waiving my hands saying "Me too me too. I was stolen from too."

Three days later farmer one road over caught a guy stealing fuel from his pickup truck in the driveway middle of the night. Called the cops but they did nothing for him and never notified me either. I had to find out by word of mouth.

No point in calling Johnny Law. I have a big mouth. When someone talks about going there for something I share the story and let them decide if that's how and where they want to spend their money.

I have had a lot of theft and vandalism over the years and not one serious effort was ever made to find or stop any of it by law enforcement. I had a drunk homeowner call the cops on me for “working too late”. When the cops got there he threatened me with all kinds of violence and vandalism right in front of the cops that he called. They wouldn’t do anything about any of it. They still have never recovered our stolen skid steer. The officer who took the report said they would never find it. Unless you killed someone, they don’t want to do anything. Unless you are defending your property, then they’ll be there to make sure the criminals don’t get hurt. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 4:15 PM, New Englander said:

At a shop I worked as a kid the owner was taking care of his sister's drug head kid; drove him in every day, gave him the oil change jobs and he'd strip 2 out of 5 plugs. It was pointless to tell him the plug had a big hex simply to have a body big enough to let the oil out and that the pan was only sheet metal. We finally cut a bunch of wrenches down that became "Sandy's wrenches". He was honored! He was a speed freak and would talk the ear off anyone who happened to be near. He still had to be watched in case he picked up an adjustable.

You just can't teach some people. Just the other day I  had one of our newbies come to me for advice on how to fix the threads that he screwed up trying to put on new shocks. I told him he needed to order 2 new bolts and get a tap to fix the threads, and tell the service manager to get the customer a rental, charged to the service department since we had to wait for the new bolts. When he was tapping out the bolt holes, he had me come take a look because he was trying to just clean up the first few threads and then put in the bolts. I told him no, run the tap all the way through, then make sure the bolts turn in all the way by hand without binding. About a half hour later, he had the shop hack over helping him. Apparently he didn't take my advice since the hack was there running the bolts in and out with an impact wrench for about an hour until they finally tightened up. I guess that's one guy I won't be helping anymore. Our shop is going to crap because the young guns don't want to take the time to do the job right and they take the advice of the shop hack. He's closer to their age and he's a loud obnoxious life of the party type and I'm the older take care of business and do it right type.

The guy with the garbage truck brought his truck to where I work now and wanted me to look over his new axle out of junkyard they put on because their techs decided it was easy to just touch the king pins out and wrecked his axle.the u bolts were loose and no oil in hubs.also wasn't even greased which started all his troubles.he went back more than mad.they billed him for all the fine work because it was his fault I guess.cant wait to hear what they tell him about the fine job they did this time.customers are leaving them in droves but the don't even care I guess 

Wifes car started a small oil leak after 140,000 miles. Looked like rear main seal to me. Front wheel drive GMC Terrain and i dont pull engines or transmissions out of front wheel drive vehicles. We took it to shop in town and got a quote for i think $1800 dollars. Car set in same parking space for 6 weeks and not touched so we went and asked for the keys. Oh, we had a couple big jobs ahead of yours and 1 came back so we cant get to it yet. Thank you but we'll just take it. Took it to a transmission shop nearby (why i didnt think of it sooner), he said he would fix it. Called me a couple days later and said you might want to come look at this. I went and he showed me the PCV stopped up in the valve cover. Engine couldnt breathe so it leaked at the rear seal. He had worked on it an hour already and said did i want to take it and fix it myself. I said sure how much i owe you. He said nothing. So $300 bucks later with a new valve cover its fixed (PCV is made into the valve cover). Does he get return work? absolutely and anyone else i can recommend him to. Straight up guy with a heck of a business.

pc

• Like 4

Another I guess a warning you could say not to take your truck to the shop that was mentioned when I started this.owner of the truck that had his steer axle wrecked by them brought another one to me for a injector miss and it was mentioned that they had put a rear spring pack on before and maybe I should take a look.well they did but when they removed the frame hangers to change spring they put grade 5 bolts back in,1/2 not 5/8 and 5 where loose and turning.I know the interns they have in shop need to learn but that could have been a accident waiting to happen.