Questionable work ethics

Only RED in the shed

Talked to a local guy who runs  garbage trucks.had his truck in a shop here that told him he needed king pins because they had not been greased in long time and were junk.he reminded them that they are the ones who had been serving all his trucks.they still presented him with large bil for repairs.he no longer takes anything there.wont say the name of the shop if you can call it that but there is a double diamond sign out front 

• Sad 1

Local service place used to change Mom's oil. Always needed a tie rod or alternator or thermostat... Something to pad the bill. Mom purchased a car from my SIL. Same shop stuck my SIL for outer tie rods last oil change. Came up again first time Mom brought it in. They charged her. I showed her that they had not been changed even though they charged for it twice in a few months. Last time either one brought their cars there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I think this happens A Lot more than reasonable guys like us forum members here realize.  I know I’ve mentioned before that I had a female coworker get told that she needed tierods once.  (Dealer) No she didn’t…car had 30k on it. 
Father in law was told he needed a complete brake job at one up change (dealer).  He asked if they could bring up his service history, as they had put  a $800 brake job on it under 5000 miles and only a few months ago.  Truck had maybe 30-40k on it and looked as new. They apologized and said they had his truck confused with another one just like it.   Yep…just like it…my father in law is a old school Chevy guy….he had taken his truck when it was new and had it given an old school two-tone paint job, across the bottom.  Pretty unique looking. Running boards. Cap. Visor. All painted body color.  
-dealer. 

Not to mention my neighbor that I just spoke about here last week. Who purchased a “dealer serviced since new” used suv this summer….oil filter looked to be original.  Gorilla tight. And Rusty. Burns oil big time, with 52k on it. 

• Sad 2

I had a recall come out on a small item for my pickup. I had paid an independent mechanic to fix this issue before Ford decided to recall the issue. It stated that with proof they would reimburse for any repairs done prior to the recall and check with a dealership. I had my receipt and took the paperwork by the dealership. They did not know what to do and gave me a run a round about it saying finally that they would check it out and let me know. I waited a couple months and stopped back in the dealership. They assured me that I would be getting a check from Ford to cover my bill.  I went home and called Ford myself thinking something must be off.  They told me that the dealership would issue the check and I was supposed to have it already. I went back to the dealership and they didn’t know what to do. I told them I had talked to Ford and all of a sudden I got a check within about 15 minutes. Turns out the dealer had kept my money and had not notified me hoping I would forget. Pretty shady….

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

So many dealers are snakes.  It starts with the sale.  I can't imagine being in that business and selling $1000 month car payments to people with $200 in their checking account.  Then it turns to all the manufacturer recommended service.

Scary to hear of corrupt independent shops.  There is enough work out there that they don't need to rip people off to get it.

To me it's corruption and fraud and likely some prominent family in the community, think the auto industry has some rough times ahead, I actually like the direction @Dzldenny went on his last vehicle, I'm a bowtie guy and have every generation from 67-07, my 87 is for sure a keeper, would have preferred 86 with carb but I found the truck and we were meant to be

1 hour ago, Dzldenny said:

Local service place used to change Mom's oil. Always needed a tie rod or alternator or thermostat... Something to pad the bill. Mom purchased a car from my SIL. Same shop stuck my SIL for outer tie rods last oil change. Came up again first time Mom brought it in. They charged her. I showed her that they had not been changed even though they charged for it twice in a few months. Last time either one brought their cars there.

I would have a hard time not going to the service place and grab the puke by the neck that takes advantage of women like that…

• Like 1

Often it's management pushing it, the mechanic doesn't get up and think how many people can I screw today, that and an uneducated public about vehicle components and purposes, you could probably rip off over half the men

• Like 2

If you all think it’s bad now, you wait until all this technology starts failing. There is going to be more parts replaced unnecessarily than ever before and you are going to have no way to prove it. You can’t crawl under and see the offending part or inspect it to see if it was bad. Some of it is going to be honest mistakes or ineptitude of poor diagnostics, but how can you prove it? 

I recently had a generator that wasn’t charging, the book and the tech support said replace the controller, but something didn’t add up, i had 120 in, i had charging status showing on both the battery status screen and in my digital output under the dealer menu. i made 2 extra trips, one with a proven battery and another just to double check before chucking a controller in it. On the second trip I found a single wire in a 20 pin connector that was pushed back about 1/8” from all the others, the little retainer clip was broken and it pushed out every time the mating plugs were put together. Solved the problem, but i could have chucked some unnecessary parts at it, since the new controller would have come with a new pigtail it would have solved the problem either way, would that have made me as bad as shops selling new brakes and tie rods to old ladies? 

point is not every shop is out to screw the customer, even if that’s the end result, sometimes it is ineptitude, sometimes it’s something else. Consumers need to be informed before blindly wandering in and saying “fix it”. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

If you all think it’s bad now, you wait until all this technology starts failing. There is going to be more parts replaced unnecessarily than ever before and you are going to have no way to prove it.

It's been that way since the industrial revolution. I wish I had a dollar for every O2 sensor needlessly replaced. SEL says O2 out of range. NOT the sensor. It's either a vacuum or exhaust leak. The SEL is simply telling you what sensor "reading" is out of range, not necessarily the sensor. For all the old school carb guys... If you truly think your carb is dialed in, install an O2 sensor and take air/fuel readings. Surprise!!! It takes the work being put in. Which is where this thread started I believe.

I won't take a vehicle to a dealer for anything other than a recall or warranty. We've had several recalls in the family; I suppose everyone has with Takata air bags. Anyway, every time we had the "free multipoint inspection" and work suggested that clearly was unnecessary. My son's BMW is a good one: I dropped it off for some heater recall and was told it needed an oil pan gasket - for $1,300!!!! I laughed at the guy. I put it up on the lift and yes, it was damp around the parting line but not leaking. I wiped it off and next time it was up for an oil change it was damp again! Shocking!!! The reason they're expensive is the Xdrive goes through them but it wasn't leaking, just a work generator.

A good scan tool is a must, not just a code reader as you can have any parts store read it and load the parts cannon up, which may or may not fix it. As @Dzidenny said, you need to know what the code means.

In all respects to the fellow owning said garbage truck, we have to ask... Was he paying them for service or for preventative maintenance? He can be paying them to make repairs but was he spending the extra to have them grease kingpins? Is it stated on his service reports that it is or was part of the services he was paying for?

... Devil's advocate...

• Like 1

I bought a combine from a not local to me green dealer once. I wanted them to do an inspection before I committed to the purchase. They said it needed $30K in repairs. I was shocked after having looked at it myself and coming to the conclusion it was in pretty good shape. I told them we would be doing our own repairs if needed anyway. After delivery I went over the entire checklist that they had sent and could not find anything they said was wrong. All of the most difficult to replace bearings were on the list with the notes “sounds rough”. They had said it needed an unloading auger tube section which alone was nearly $5,000. When I looked at the notes it said “paint faded”. The paint on the top of the tube was bad, but who would replace a tube over that? We went straight to the field with only changing oil and tightening a few chains. 

Had opposite happen to us when taking mom's car in for a few minor things. Tires were wore pretty bad making it sound like it had a wheel bearing going out. Figured they would try to sell us some tires for sure. Not a peep about it needing tires or possible alignment issues. Uncles stepson is a salesman there so not sure if that affected anything or not. 🤷‍♂️

I have a very good local independent shop I trust. The employees probably don’t get paid what they are worth and currently owner was an employee previously similarly paid. I think because they know what it’s like to be short on money they won’t rip off someone else. They are primarily a tire shop and over the years I have been talked into cheaper tires a time or two. What really got me one time I was in there I was waiting my turn in line and the owner was talking to the guy in front of me when he said “Kevin’s got a set of those tires ask him how they are”. I had bought the first set of those he sold and he wanted my honest feedback. 

Now as far as sales go…. In 2008 I was looking for a different truck. Manufacturers were throwing rebates out all over so I was looking at my first new truck. Got a price on one,  it was bare bones work truck at a dealer couple states away but could get a dealer trade. Two rebates, $3500 and $1000. I went to another dealer to keep the first one honest. First they hid in the managers office and came back with three trucks with bells and whistles for $10000 more. I knew the first one was still in Ford’s inventory. Then they only told me about the one rebate, they were going to pocket the $1000 one. I wonder how many people missed out on that rebate? 

The shop that was doing service work has a check off sheet for service work and king pins are on it.supposed to jack up and grease. They have 1 st year diesel tech students doing service work that don't get paid much and mostly don't care.I did work there doing mostly engine work and caught a few not even doing anything on sheet just on the phones.told shop manager to keep on them but was told not to worry about it.So glad to be out of there.I did try to warn the customer mentioned but at times he thought I was just disgrunted ex employee.He believes me now

11 minutes ago, Only RED in the shed said:

The shop that was doing service work has a check off sheet for service work and king pins are on it.supposed to jack up and grease. They have 1 st year diesel tech students doing service work that don't get paid much and mostly don't care.I did work there doing mostly engine work and caught a few not even doing anything on sheet just on the phones.told shop manager to keep on them but was told not to worry about it.So glad to be out of there.I did try to warn the customer mentioned but at times he thought I was just disgrunted ex employee.He believes me now

Checklists are only as good as the people filling them out. If you hand my FIL a checklist, you can bank that every box checked has been accounted for. Others I have met, the same I don’t think true. 
my daughters daycare sends a checkin update daily, mostly health updates related to covid, every day all boxes are checked, we haven’t been asked once. Not ever. 

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Checklists are only as good as the people filling them out. If you hand my FIL a checklist, you can bank that every box checked has been accounted for. Others I have met, the same I don’t think true. 
my daughters daycare sends a checkin update daily, mostly health updates related to covid, every day all boxes are checked, we haven’t been asked once. Not ever. 

We had my daughter signed up for gymnastics years ago. The place kept sending emails about what she worked on at her lesson and how good she was doing looong after she quit. Obviously a generic email, but some parent probably thought their kid was going to the Olympics because of it. 

• Haha 2

We have a place called Lub N Go, the oil changes are under $50, used a name brand oil and filter. I know the owners brother, they try to be honest. But the quality of people working there just sucks. In a 6 month period I know of 3 stripped or cross treaded oil plugs. An the one kid switched the dip stick on my wife's car. I wish I knew if he did because he was a a$$ or if he could be that lazy and dumb all at the same time.  As you can watch them work one car in a bay with pit to get to plug and filter. The oil is dispensed from bulk tank with a hose and meter for your 5 quarts.

So a different place now does our oil changes, cost more and takes better than a hour.

It's a universal problem. Pay your people minimum wage, and you get minimum wage quality work.

Jobs that pay as much or more than that "Lub N Go" are a dime a dozen, and there's no consequence to doing a bad job or being a bad employee. Get fired? There are 100 other places looking for a warm body and checking references for entry-level jobs is a complete waste of time and resources.

when inspection was 2x yr down to #7K , thanksgiven to tax was < 200 miles, rest of year + - 1500.

Every 3000 miles that truck needed new front end and tires, $1000 and that was a "fair" shop.old parts already went off in trash pickup.

Clean and paint every season stopped the faux ,after another 70Km still on and tires went to 12KM