Another truck/engine thread

Big Bud guy

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

The neighbor of mine who I bought the Loadstar from I posted here earlier this spring pretty much gave me these two trucks.  1979 and 1980 GMCs.  The orange one has a 4-53 Detriot and the other one a fuel pincher.  These are the only GMCs on the place.  No hoist on them which is why they were cheap.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

How come I don't come across stuff like that!  Fuel pinchers suck, but better than feeding a 427

You nailed it right there and I don't want to get into gas vs diesel trucks in the other thread but to me a shitty diesel engine still trumps the best gas engine you can put in them.  At least for what we use them for and for what I paid for these.  They actually do have hitches because my neighbor used them to pull a trailer with crop chemical on them and water tank on the bed to fill the sprayer 

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Nice trucks, do you have much use for non dumping flatbeds? 

For these two I do.  One is still going to haul chemical totes around just like you see in the picture and the other will get a water tank for hauling water and/or liquid fertilizer if I ever do that again. 

• Like 1

Nice looking trucks. Very few of those Chevies with diesel engines round here back then. Never seen one with a 4-53 or fuel pincher. Actually I don't remember seeing a C60 with a diesel before 1980 here. The earlier GM diesels I saw were the bigger trucks similar to an IH fleetstar.

I find medium duty trucks very handy around my farm. Even more so if the have a dump.

Diesel engines are good but round here they usually bring 2-3 times the price of a gas burner. They usually have 3-6 times as many miles too. I was looking at a 10 wheeler online with a DT466 with over 600,000 miles! 

I plan to go look at the loadstar gas burner with 40,000 miles again and probably make him an offer. I know it's history and it's a good truck.

51 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

5+2? 

Never understood the love affair with 2 speed rears back in the day.  Should just have had the small road ranger 9/10 speeds in them. To this day I'm not trusting of 2 speed rears since I had a motor go out and the actuator get stuck between lo and hi and end up sitting.  

I think it was to have 4 or 5 speed medium duty transmissions with synchro’s, but to get more gears overall.  Most anyone that can drive a manual car transmission can drive them that way, and lots of MDT trucks didn’t have air compressors too.   I know a lot of farmers that resisted larger trucks for years to avoid learning to run roadrangers.

And cost I’m sure too…

Older gas GM’s seemed to have brownie boxes (60’s/70’s), I’m not sure if the front box was syncro though? 

Honestly I think running a roadranger is no harder than a 2 speed, every 2 speed I've drove they can be finicky.  

Definitely easier than a brownie box.  

But your right so many had juice brakes and no air supply (which is dumb to me).  Air is so superior in every way to those pos hydravac drum setups.  

My service truck has a "6 plus" with  OD in the high hole and while I guess it's drivable the synchros in it suck with it being tempermental.  If I ever find a donor it's getting a 9 speed.  

I agree on the 2 speed axles being finicky.  I did a roadranger swap on an MDT project (if you search this forum for Mercury F700 it should come up).  
It made a world of difference in how the truck drives.  And 9&10 speeds can be had pretty cheap - everyone wants a 13 or 18.  I got mine for $1800CAN in good used shape from a wrecker.  Lots of these MDT’s (at least diesel IH’s) already came with SAE#2 bellhousings and pull-type clutches, so it’s a pretty easy swap.

All our single axle trucks have always used 2 speed rears since the beginning of time.  They work until they don’t and when they quit working we fix and lock them down in low.  Simple as that.  We have 4 trucks out of 7 with the 2 speed that still works:) Only other transmission I have run is our first floater had the RR Super 10.  With an L10 Cummins I would run in 8th down the field, flip to 7th and idle turning around for my next pass and flip up to 8th again and punch it.  I could empty out 8 tons of urea in mile long fields in 20 minutes just putting on 100 lbs.

4 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Never understood the love affair with 2 speed rears back in the day.  Should just have had the small road ranger 9/10 speeds in them. To this day I'm not trusting of 2 speed rears since I had a motor go out and the actuator get stuck between lo and hi and end up sitting.  

They are what i am used to, and I would give almost anything to have one now over the 643 4spd. Road rangers might be better, but the 5+2 is better than the auto 

I drove an 8 speed road ranger in an IH flat bed picking up drums of garbage while working on the farm. I loved that truck and especially the transmission. I drove many 5+2 wreckers and still own two trucks with 2 speed rears and the RR is way better. 1234 click, 5678! I find I rarely split gears with my dump. 2-5 low, 5 high. Empty just leave in high. Full load trying to accelerate onto the highway I may split every one but that's rare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

I drove an 8 speed road ranger in an IH flat bed picking up drums of garbage while working on the farm. I loved that truck and especially the transmission. I drove many 5+2 wreckers and still own two trucks with 2 speed rears and the RR is way better. 1234 click, 5678! I find I rarely split gears with my dump. 2-5 low, 5 high. Empty just leave in high. Full load trying to accelerate onto the highway I may split every one but that's rare.

I drive my two speeds the same way. I leave it in high when empty. When loaded I stay in low until 5th then grab another gear. However if I'm pulling a steep grade I sometimes split the gears downshifting.

A lot of medium duties had single speed rear ends here. Both my loadstars came with single speed rear ends. The sunshine biscuit truck came with a 5 speed and single rear. The rear axle was replaced with a two speed with much higher top after the original failed due to operator error. It has good highway speed now. My white loadstar (Joe) has a 4 speed with single speed. It's low enough geared to pull anything but lacks road speed.

A medium duty truck with synchronized transmission, single speed rear end and hydraulic brakes is very easy to learn to drive. Most these trucks were originally delivery trucks that farmers bought used. The original owners wanted a simple truck that required less skill.

I've been shopping for a late 80s early 90s Ford with the 6.6 or 7.8 Ford diesel. I like the 5+2. Just what I'm use to. The last two trucks have worked well with it. Unavailable brake parts is what put both of them down. Had a line on a nice 91 for cheap. Drove 3 states to find out the title didn't match the VIN. Still looking...

3 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

I've been shopping for a late 80s early 90s Ford with the 6.6 or 7.8 Ford diesel. I like the 5+2. Just what I'm use to. The last two trucks have worked well with it. Unavailable brake parts is what put both of them down. Had a line on a nice 91 for cheap. Drove 3 states to find out the title didn't match the VIN. Still looking...

I keep hearing about that, is it not possible to convert? The GM with air brakes have been expensive to repair, but not impossible. 

We put a hydro boost and master from a 08 Duramax in our 74 Louisville. Junkyard parts first then replaced with new. Tied into the pump etc. No worky. Pedal is rock hard. Shut the truck off and pedal moves fine but not boosted. Double triple checked plumbing and flow direction but with the truck running you can stand on the pedal bending the steering wheel pulling but that pedal is like a rock.

39 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

I hear parts for the Brazilian built diesels are next to impossible to find.