DT466E Good? Bad?

New Englander

Stay away , no power and it’s a IH 466 but just so you know it’s not an original good DT 466 . There a electronic motor and lots of problems , I had one in my CXT ☹️

Danny

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Stay away , no power and it’s a IH 466 but just so you know it’s not an original good DT 466 . There a electronic motor and lots of problems , I had one in my CXT ☹️

Danny

So, the E stands for "electrical issues"?

A little more information:

It's bucket truck to perhaps replace my '87 C70 bucket truck. The C70 has a Detroit 8.2 fuel pincher, perhaps one of the most reviled diesels out there with the only redeeming quality that it readily starts no matter the temp. It will only be a yard truck so power is not an issue, just start and idle.

My present truck was a military contract machine built by Powers with absolutely no information available. It's getting very tired while still working really has only scrap value at the moment and not wort investing in. The truck I'm looking at has a Terex boom.

18 minutes ago, New Englander said:

A little more information:

It's bucket truck to perhaps replace my '87 C70 bucket truck. The C70 has a Detroit 8.2 fuel pincher, perhaps one of the most reviled diesels out there with the only redeeming quality that it readily starts no matter the temp. It will only be a yard truck so power is not an issue, just start and idle.

My present truck was a military contract machine built by Powers with absolutely no information available. It's getting very tired while still working really has only scrap value at the moment and not wort investing in. The truck I'm looking at has a Terex boom.

You will be fine with a dt466e. They use the Hpop system like the power stroke engines and the c7 cat engines. Clean engine oil and good filters are a must. The 466e is the new gen block that came out in the early 90s. The bottom side of block is clearances more for bigger stroke. (Dt 530,570) crank and rod clearance. They went to mid engine sleeve oring design like most other engine makers. The intake manifold was cast into top of head now and other changes. Most problems with engine were fuel system related but back then this was new technology to be afraid off. The high pressure oil firing of injectors was one way to get to the high fuel pressure needed without adding a push rod and actuators for injectors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are pictures of the 466 e. There is actually 3 or 4 years of this engine built with the traditional pump line and injector nozzle system. This is the new block, head and high mounted injector pump can’t find pics of it now. As you can see in pictures the block has the traditional old design look of the dt 400 engine family but is improved updated. There is nothing that interchanges between the two engine families. The dt new gen 466,530 and I think 570 were rebadged as the Detroit 40, Perkins ( being cat owned perkins there are rumors off cat badged perkapillar dt 466) and a couple other companies). The new gen engine had factory hp settings of up to 300 hp.  This new gen engine was being devoloped already back then as it was used in agco allis tractors in the early 90s.  If IHC would have stayed complete this engine design would have been out earlier in the mechanical injected form. If you remember caterpillar helped design the electronic ,oil fired system so they got to use it on some variations of their engines. Not many but one family I think.

720451A3-F9A0-4180-9B3E-EFAC0EB2243C.png

67C33D13-8205-4FDA-960F-A07CA6FE7A1B.png

E3BD5E29-EAAE-4939-B3A1-B22A7755F0A8.png

070C18F8-4240-402A-BA7D-647809462E73.png

F5CAAC3C-472F-4EDA-9413-9B959062B225.png

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

The C70 has a Detroit 8.2 fuel pincher, perhaps one of the most reviled diesels out there

Dont know about that. As bad as a 8.2 fuel pincher is. I throw out there the 5.7 GM Diesel of the late 70s. 

Drop the mic. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Dont know about that. As bad as a 8.2 fuel pincher is. I throw out there the 5.7 GM Diesel of the late 70s. 

Drop the mic. 

Oh c,mon now. The 5.7 was not a total basket case. Just kidding though. Two  things  would have made them bullet proof. Mandatory training for owners and shop mechanics both on deisel technology and maintenance. The other thing that would have made them fool proof was a serpentine belt drive setup. The alt belt was driven off fan pulley with air cond. and power steering belt to supply power. The belts would slip and this let the batteries discharge. This would let glow plugs come on at wrong times and also cause some overheating problems.  A decent 5.7 with basic good maintenance should have ran to 100,000 miles. 

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Oh c,mon now. The 5.7 was not a total basket case. Just kidding though. Two  things  would have made them bullet proof. Mandatory training for owners and shop mechanics both on deisel technology and maintenance. The other thing that would have made them fool proof was a serpentine belt drive setup. The alt belt was driven off fan pulley with air cond. and power steering belt to supply power. The belts would slip and this let the batteries discharge. This would let glow plugs come on at wrong times and also cause some overheating problems.  A decent 5.7 with basic good maintenance should have ran to 100,000 miles. 

My dad had an Olds 88 with the 5.7.  He got way over 30 mpg on trips, and other than a fuel gelling episode one very cold night he got along fine with it.  He didn't keep it long enough to find out how well it held up over time.

I always liked to remind him that it sounded like he had some bad lifters.

Dad traded often.  I did not inherit that trait from him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, New Englander said:

Looking at a 1999 IH 4900 today. Ad says DT466E. Anything to know in advance?

TIA

They are okay.  We have the DT530E with 36k hours and had a 99 DT466E that

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Here’s a pic of the new gen with mech pump. This is probably one of the best engines Navistar or IH made

6B2ECD0D-F717-48EB-BDF2-C5EC8761C186.png

about 30K.  You can download a version of the  software to diagnose it free.  You just have to have a datalink.  You can also flash code it.  Lots of info online.  Water pumps will fail.  Super easy to change.  Injectors will get stuck after a while and it will get hard to start.  Some HPOP/ IPR issues but not bad and it is all accessible.  At work we had really good luck with them.  The engine in the picture dale posted is great but I’m pretty sure it was only available for a few years.  We have in a fuel delivery truck.  

Those saying they're junk and complaining about electrical issues must be driving around 40 year old cars trucks and tractors then......  The electronics on these engines is about as simple as they come compared to a lot of stuff that vintage or newer!  

Best medium duty engine on the market during that time......period.  Wet sleeve, robust overbuilt design and easy to work on.  Parts are plentiful and reasonable with aftermarket support.  

Most common issues are injectors stiction due to not following oil change intervals, electrical issues (a lot of which can be traced to inadequate clean 12v power and ground feeds.....those HEUI injectors take a lot of power to click off) cam sensor failure resulting on no start/intermittent stalling, camshaft lifter doggone failure wiping cam out, injector o ring failure putting oil in fuel and an occasional high pressure oil pump failure or leaking.  

As @dale560said ServiceMaster 1708 is free and just need a com adapter to communicate to pull faults/data/or do bi directional tests.  

I would avoid the 97-98 "3 box" control system.  They have an ECM, an IDM (injector driver module like 7.3 powerstrokes) and a personality module which sets the torque and HP all separate.  They're sort of oddball only being used a short time therefore not well supported.  

After mid 98 or earluly 99 they went to the "1 box" or DLC system which has the more common large ECM mounted on the left side of the engine that does it all.  

Lots of HP ratings from 175 to I think 275 hp.  230 is about as hot as they get without recommended hard parts upgrades (injectors, steel crown pistons and turbo) You can buy different rated ECU's and there are tuners available to wake them up.  

I'd gladly take these over ANY piece of crap that's on the market today (which unfortunately the 6.7 cummins is about the only medium duty engine left) 

Once you get to '04 emissions 466's it's a different animal, but still not too awful bad.  You can guess what happens after 2007 :( 😞 

Phew......I typed a book my apologies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

My dad had an Olds 88 with the 5.7.  He got way over 30 mpg on trips, and other than a fuel gelling episode one very cold night he got along fine with it.  He didn't keep it long enough to find out how well it held up over time.

My dad had two of them in Delta 88 brand new and a Delta 98 he bought used. The wrist pin in the piston is what would start making the knocking sound. Ran them both over a 100,000. 

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

The early before 1981 5.7s had the pencil injector and regular lifters. The after 1981 had the short thicker out flow nozzle with no return but roller lifter. If you set the timing with a meter it really made a different motor out of them. That one or 2 degrees made a big difference.

14 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The early before 1981 5.7s had the pencil injector and regular lifters. The after 1981 had the short thicker out flow nozzle with no return but roller lifter. If you set the timing with a meter it really made a different motor out of them. That one or 2 degrees made a big difference.

Somebody must have done his right.

Don’t want to derail this thread but here are pictures of the injectors and difference in the 5.7s. If you look at the one engine the alt is on right side but most of diesel cars it was on left side so the 2 other belts had to turn water pump and alternator. Put a picture of a toro flow on here didn’t know this until today. The initial concept was the v6 toro flow, a Detroit diesel and a Nissan 6 cyl installed in cars to test them. I also put a picture of a toronado on here used to work on a olds , even a Buick riviera and a Cadillac that had that body with 5.7 in them.

28E00503-F966-4066-9D16-CF8403F7FC17.png

281EEBBF-ECAD-46F8-890A-EDF604CC6B5A.png

CC253573-F62F-4044-AE3C-801EFF45DE7B.png

1B39444C-331F-4390-B2F9-BA3C6105AE08.png

9B461AE9-6499-4D6A-8608-B6CF12DA0FD4.png

BAE80E01-B33F-4927-A25E-3491CB6CAAD9.png

D02D2C9B-2B92-40EA-A3BB-02F330F78FD9.png

Dad bought a new C-10 in '79 with the 350D and 2.92 rear. That thing with 2 tanks would run forever on a fillup. Thankfully around '81-'82 it started using oil (idk how much). I think it was not very long after grandma filled it up with gas lol. GM replaced the whole engine with the updated one. Had 2 inj pump failures 1 he fixed and one is after my uncle bought it and parked it, only thing wrong with it. Had one electrical issue leave us stranded and had to turn the oil pump square shaft once and replace once. After the first pump went out dad put 3.73's in it and turned it up a tad which livend it up considerably. That thing loved nighttime air more than anything I've ever driven. He ABUSED it had double rear springs and pulled a g/n trailer all over getting old tractors. Used to pull a '37 F-20 and F-30 together all over the place. Empty before he put the 3.73's in it that thing would get 30+ mpg. I believe M&W made a turbo kit for it lol

27 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Somebody must have done his right.

43 minutes ago, dale560 said:

My dad had an Olds 88 with the 5.7.  He got way over 30 mpg on trips,

And then the powers killed it before the actual concept could be built out,didnt even know it was running at 60 mph cruise air ride ac leather etc etc.

actual coffin nails were hard to install so they....used the pen/sword.....like msnbc/blocked/vacuumed now.

4 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Those saying they're junk and complaining about electrical issues must be driving around 40 year old cars trucks and tractors then......  The electronics on these engines is about as simple as they come compared to a lot of stuff that vintage or newer!  

Y2K era MX Maxxum tractors have a 3 wire solenoid fuel control and that is it.  No computer whatsoever for the engine.  23 year old.  As long as the engine will crank over, the tractor will start and operated if the fuel shut off is tied open.  I have no interest in this diesel crap that “derates” for whatever silly reason.  Spent enough already on my ’99 Cummins when the computer that runs the injector pump crapped out and required the replacement of an otherwise likely perfectly mechanically sound injector pump.  Electronics suck.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Y2K era MX Maxxum tractors have a 3 wire solenoid fuel control and that is it.  No computer whatsoever for the engine.  23 year old.  As long as the engine will crank over, the tractor will start and operated if the fuel shut off is tied open.  I have no interest in this diesel crap that “derates” for whatever silly reason.  Spent enough already on my ’99 Cummins when the computer that runs the injector pump crapped out and required the replacement of an otherwise likely perfectly mechanically sound injector pump.  Electronics suck.  

Funny thing is what do you think controls the transmission and hitch in said MX tractor?  

wouldn't 99% of the IH 90-06 have that engine family "design"?

< S <95 ' brake and wheels/parts  are going to be an issue.

plenty more low power 7.3/444e out there than any 466'

plenty of both for sale, needs $$$$$ engine X $, spent $$$$ and have no time to fix ,can be your issues for $$$$$$

very few high mile high issue high $$$$$ used engines out there,  few remans $4-14K as they get newer.

could have got a decent 47xx but was told stay away from 503 last month.

plenty of 49xx for cheap but too heavy on fixed govt $$$$,  no reason it shouldnt work cheap for NE needs....

explain for us the pros/cons 90-06    40xx-49xx  for on road but < 6K yr

4 minutes ago, mmi said:

wouldn't 99% of the IH 90-06 have that engine family "design"?

In 04 they switched to 24 valve heads, 2nd generation Siemens HEUI injectors, different HEUI pump and VGT turbo with EGR.  I guess the bare block would still have some similiarities

6 minutes ago, mmi said:

<95 ' brake and wheels/parts  are going to be an issue

Nah, that stuff is easily available and reasonable for air brakes.  Just bought a bunch of stuff for a '92.  Juice brakes yes, probably a little harder. 

• Like 1