Who was looking for an 8820?

DT Fan

I would think an 8820 would run a 12 row. A 6620 will run a 6, pretty sure a 7720 would run an 8, next step up for the bigger machine would be the 12. The one pictured has plenty of rubber on the ground, bin extension. Maybe the unload auger would be short?

40 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

A neighbor years ago custom combined with two 8820's. I think a non-turbo 6620 was usually a gear drive.. With the old 6600's a gear drive usually had a 359 and hydro was a 404. That's what I observed. I used to get calls from our local scrap yard when they got a combine in. I would buy and pull the engine. Pulled a lot of IH and Deere engines. Even a few 3208's out of New Hollands. That ended a number of years ago when they got a new manager. No more selling out of the yard. Shame.

If talking strictly diesel, 6600s started out with 329s and went to 404s just on the last year or so of production.  Gas engines started out as 303s then 329s before being dropped.  Course this all for level land 6600s.  I've never seen a 6600 with a 404 because all them around here are older units. 

54 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

If talking strictly diesel, 6600s started out with 329s and went to 404s just on the last year or so of production.  Gas engines started out as 303s then 329s before being dropped.  Course this all for level land 6600s.  I've never seen a 6600 with a 404 because all them around here are older units. 

The Deere engines I pulled: 4400 diesel 329. 6600 gear drive 359. 6600 hydro 404. 6620 hydro 6466T. There defiantly could have been variants. But that's what I ran into. Of all those engines, the 404's sold best. 

When Gleaner came out with the N7 in 1979 did they come right out with the 12 row corn head too? When would’ve the 8820 had a 12 row? 

One things for sure, unlike old tractors of that vintage the combines have really come down in price.  A fellow can get in a nice xx20 deere or 14xx/16xx IH combine for pretty reasonable now.  

Well supported aftermarket wise still yet too if they do need some help.  

I can remember being a young lad and seeing a new N7 Gleaner at the SD State Fair with a 12-row corn head. Had to have been 1979 or 1980. I think the 315 bushel grain tank on the N7 impressed me more than the 12 row corn head at the time.

The big irrigation farm project next to the Missouri River about 20-30 miles from where I grew up had an 8820 and an N7 Gleaner with 12 row heads back in the early 1980s, although they had them at different times. They also had a 9700/20 White rotary before that that had a red 12-row corn head of some sort. I always assumed it was a White corn head, but I guess they never officially made a 12 row corn head at the time. Perhaps a prototype that never made it to production?

• Like 1

My understanding is all the JD 6602 (hillside) had 404's. But that is hear say, but from a guy that had 2 early ones. I have never seen or heard of a gear drive 6602 or Gleaner MH or IH 453 in central California. But this is just a very small corner of the world.

8 minutes ago, ray54 said:

My understanding is all the JD 6602 (hillside) had 404's. 

Your understanding is correct. The 362 gas was also an option while the regular 6600s made due with the 329 gas option.  6600 sidehills also used the 404 from the start but at the same time, the regular 6600s still used the 329.  I think the sidehill 6600 came out around 74/75'

1 hour ago, SDman said:

I can remember being a young lad and seeing a new N7 Gleaner at the SD State Fair with a 12-row corn head. Had to have been 1979 or 1980. I think the 315 bushel grain tank on the N7 impressed me more than the 12 row corn head at the time.

Even looking back in ads today I catch myself looking in awe at a N7 and 12 row head. The bushel capacity made it the largest combine of the time being a Class VII. 

From what I read thru the years, the N7 was an awesome capacity machine in its day. From what I also read they came with a free Patsy Cline tape. "I fall to pieces"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Even looking back in ads today I catch myself looking in awe at a N7 and 12 row head. The bushel capacity made it the largest combine of the time being a Class VII. 

Nearest combine to the N7 would have been the White 9700.  Still only a 265 bu grain tank but a rotor size nobody has matched yet.  

20 hours ago, SDman said:

Wonder if some of the HP increase was some gamesmanship between red & green at that time, too. John Deere came out with a 30' head with the 8820 Titan machine in 1979....IH came out with a 30' head in 1980. The 1480 started out with a 190HP DT-436 engine that was used up through 1980...in 1981 it was replaced with a DT-466 rated at 210HP.

Just my opinion only but I kinda thought the gamesmanship was still between Massey and JD in the late 70s and early 80s. Deere comes out with the 8820 which was bigger then the 760 in every way so then Massey lengthens the straw walkers on the 860 and doubles down with the 865.  And it seems like Massey came out with a 30ft header right at the same time even just a little before.  When we bought our 760 in 79' we had the option of getting a 30ft header.  

There was a few white top AF combines around here but they didn't start taking over until the mid to late 80s.  Even the well known Axial Flow custom cutters like Farris kept his Massey's until they went broke.  I've only ever run across one 1460 that had the mechanical controls which I thought IH switched over to electric over hydraulic in 1980???  And I never have seen a white top 1480 either just a few red tops.