Who was looking for an 8820?

DT Fan

8 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

The first year they were made they came with the 619 engine.  The farm 4 miles north of me had one that they bought new but then lost it during the 1980's farm crisis.  

You sure?? I’ve never heard that before.  They only used the the 466 from beginning to end.  

3 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It was my understanding that the power was increased on the 466 when the 1243 became available. Maybe 1980 or 1981? Earlier models had no need for the high horsepower because an 843 was the biggest corn head available. I have never heard of a 619 in an 8820, but that sounds interesting. 

I think they were 200 hp when they came out but I known they were 225 hp by 1981.

• Like 1

I think a 12 row would be too much for that machine not to mention the lack of  bin capacity.   
Good machine for a small field with short rows and a six row head. 

I can imagine being able to go much more then 1 1/2 MPH maybe 2 in bad corn trying to use a 12 row on that machine. 

1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

I think a 12 row would be too much for that machine not to mention the lack of  bin capacity.   
Good machine for a small field with short rows and a six row head. 

I can imagine being able to go much more then 1 1/2 MPH maybe 2 in bad corn trying to use a 12 row on that machine. 

100-125 bushel per acre corn was quite typical then versus 200-300 bushel per acre corn today.  

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

You sure?? I’ve never heard that before.  They only used the the 466 from beginning to end.  

I know what I was told.  Trying to research it via Implement & Tractor Red Book or then edition sales brochure which I need to find.  My research to this point reminded me that the 6620 was offered w/o a turbocharger into the Titan II days.  I only ever saw one 6620 without a turbocharger which was a plain Titan edition.  

8 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

I know what I was told.  Trying to research it via Implement & Tractor Red Book or then edition sales brochure which I need to find.  My research to this point reminded me that the 6620 was offered w/o a turbocharger into the Titan II days.  I only ever saw one 6620 without a turbocharger which was a plain Titan edition.  

I think whoever told you that was smoking something good or wacky.  I don’t see how a 619 would fit in the compartment without major work and hacking.  It’s not like swapping in a 466 in place of a 404 in a 4020.  Plus the 619 was a 275 hp engine there would have been no need.  6620s had two hp ratings depending if it had a hydro or Posi Torque transmission.  I think the Posi Torque ones had a 125 hp and I could see those not being turboed.  

19 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think whoever told you that was smoking something good or wacky.  I don’t see how a 619 would fit in the compartment without major work and hacking.  It’s not like swapping in a 466 in place of a 404 in a 4020.  Plus the 619 was a 275 hp engine there would have been no need.  6620s had two hp ratings depending if it had a hydro or Posi Torque transmission.  I think the Posi Torque ones had a 125 hp and I could see those not being turboed.  

Implement & Tractor shows the naturally aspirated 6620 was offered with either the P-T or Hydro.  The one I saw had JD's own rear wheel assist so most likely a Hydro.  When dad was looking at combines during the fall of 1978 he could buy a new 6620 2WD with turbo, Hydro, heat, 30.5 X 32 tires and AC along with a 215 table and 643 head for 50,000 dollars at the dealer in Hall, NY.  The following year given the nasty inflation 50,000 dollars would buy a 6620 2WD w/o turbo and AC.  28 X 26 tires, 213 table, and 443 corn head were the substitutes.  Wound up buying a used Gleaner L instead with heads for 30,000 dollars.

16 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Implement & Tractor shows the naturally aspirated 6620 was offered with either the P-T or Hydro.  The one I saw had JD's own rear wheel assist so most likely a Hydro.  When dad was looking at combines during the fall of 1978 he could buy a new 6620 with turbo, Hydro, heat, 30.5 X 32 tires and AC along with a 215 table and 643 head for 50,000 dollars at the dealer in Hall, NY.  The following year given the nasty inflation 50,000 dollars would buy a 6620 w/o turbo and AC.  28 X 26 tires, 213 table, and 443 corn head were the substitutes.  Wound up buying a used Gleaner L instead with heads for 30,000 dollars.

Our MF 760 with a 24ft header was around $65,000 in 1979 and those almost double a 6620 capacity wise so you can see part of the reason why MF was popular.  

5 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Our MF 760 with a 24ft header was around $65,000 in 1979 and those almost double a 6620 capacity wise so you can see part of the reason why MF was popular.  

I bought a 760 yellow cab used in 1990 after the Gleaner wore out.  It sure had capacity but had wear on it then.  Got to be a headache so I bought the 6620 which is here today.  At that point we had 3 JD dealers within 15 minutes versus driving well over an hour to get to the nearest MF dealer.  Also, the regional JD parts hub at Syracuse was just over an hour away.  If a dealer did not have a part they could sometimes get it in from Syracuse the same day or the following  day at the latest.  

55 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Going from a 619 to a 466 would lower the selling price or raise the profit on an 8820 for JD.  By 1980 companies were dealing with the fallout from the grain embargo.  

Wonder if some of the HP increase was some gamesmanship between red & green at that time, too. John Deere came out with a 30' head with the 8820 Titan machine in 1979....IH came out with a 30' head in 1980. The 1480 started out with a 190HP DT-436 engine that was used up through 1980...in 1981 it was replaced with a DT-466 rated at 210HP.

Had a neighbor that bought a 8820 Titan ll and a 1243 corn head new. It was his only combine and ran it until he traded it on a JD 9600 which he ran his 12 row on also. He was the only one around with a 12 row corn head for years. Now it’s commonplace. 

A neighbor years ago custom combined with two 8820's. I think a non-turbo 6620 was usually a gear drive.. With the old 6600's a gear drive usually had a 359 and hydro was a 404. That's what I observed. I used to get calls from our local scrap yard when they got a combine in. I would buy and pull the engine. Pulled a lot of IH and Deere engines. Even a few 3208's out of New Hollands. That ended a number of years ago when they got a new manager. No more selling out of the yard. Shame.