Shellin' corn the old way

TN Hillbilly

A series of circumstances have brought us to need some hog feed. We have some ear corn, so I got out my grandpa's old corn sheller and box which we'd been using as a kindling box for a long time. I have no idea the last time it was used to shell corn, probably 40 years ago or longer.

It still works good!

20231124_182329.thumb.jpg.91ba009c988c9c23f97f1c8fd4ff173c.jpg

I've got some enthusiastic help, but they demand to be paid. So we've bargained and agreed to .25 per 5 gallon bucket of ear corn processed. What can I say, you want good help, you gotta pay!

20231124_182203.thumb.jpg.2756bae4d3df2c0042b7d9a7e8c9807b.jpg

I thought the whole thing was kinda neat (at least til the novelty wears off), and thought you all might appreciate it.

Not the kind of corn shellin most of y'all do!

20231124_183304.thumb.jpg.00a4393affdb7cbb44b1ec7533fc6253.jpg

• Like 21

That brings to mind a question, that corn is dry, so I assume that wheel is kind of knocking the kernels off the cob, right? Somehow the ear rotates?
when you buy canned corn or frozen corn, it is the whole kernel, so how do they get those loose? 

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That brings to mind a question, that corn is dry, so I assume that wheel is kind of knocking the kernels off the cob, right? Somehow the ear rotates?
when you buy canned corn or frozen corn, it is the whole kernel, so how do they get those loose? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3bz0wnR9ZM

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

A series of circumstances have brought us to need some hog feed. We have some ear corn, so I got out my grandpa's old corn sheller and box which we'd been using as a kindling box for a long time. I have no idea the last time it was used to shell corn, probably 40 years ago or longer.

It still works good!

20231124_182329.thumb.jpg.91ba009c988c9c23f97f1c8fd4ff173c.jpg

I've got some enthusiastic help, but they demand to be paid. So we've bargained and agreed to .25 per 5 gallon bucket of ear corn processed. What can I say, you want good help, you gotta pay!

20231124_182203.thumb.jpg.2756bae4d3df2c0042b7d9a7e8c9807b.jpg

I thought the whole thing was kinda neat (at least til the novelty wears off), and thought you all might appreciate it.

Not the kind of corn shellin most of y'all do!

20231124_183304.thumb.jpg.00a4393affdb7cbb44b1ec7533fc6253.jpg

very similar to the one I take to the fair for people to try, except mine doesn't have the cone on the inside end of the crank. Mine has R H for Root and Heath Co, but there seems to be many brands with almost identical workings.

Have the kids caught on to how many ears it will take to fill a 5 gallon bucket?? I see a possible work slowdown in the offing, until pay is renegotiated.😀

• Haha 3

I bought an old sears sheller a few years ago cheap just to collect but ended up using it to make shelled Indian corn center pieces.

original_67a1651e-5b00-49d7-997c-88d976e06752_Screenshot_20221206_130612_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e51e03e41effd36f7c7ba2c0ef9ef6b5.jpg

20200904_161545.thumb.jpg.34967f6a724666553f05d9286e651fef.jpg

I ended up up making a little pull type cart for it.

Screenshot_20221218_194341_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4963c2db377b00f757ec71db9e9a9307.jpg

20231001_1031193.thumb.jpg.ae846913ae9f969215a4ee0a8f6f4c84.jpg

my son loves playing with it it's easy entertainment. Unfortunately with today's hybrids/cob size a lot of the cobs get stuck in it or the teeth just grind the kernels.

We did that one year too. Takes a lot of cranking to make enough to feed 3 pigs. 

I also have grandpa's belt driven ih corn shelter. Used it one year bit the video is on an old phone. 

2 hours ago, ny bill o said:

very similar to the one I take to the fair for people to try, except mine doesn't have the cone on the inside end of the crank. Mine has R H for Root and Heath Co, but there seems to be many brands with almost identical workings.

Have the kids caught on to how many ears it will take to fill a 5 gallon bucket?? I see a possible work slowdown in the offing, until pay is renegotiated.😀

Well, to be fair,  the pay is based on 5 gallon buckets of whole ears prior to processing... but yes, if they continue, I will pay them something fair. This morning about 6 5 gallon buckets yielded 2.75 buckets of grain. Took about an hour, maybe?

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

Here is mine.  Says Fulton on it.  Grabbed it out of the old homestead shack.  I honestly don’t know why we have this because we never raised any corn then and now.  Only thing I can think of is long time ago grandpa and grandma used to visit relatives in Wisconsin that farmed too and maybe they brought this back one time just as novelty.  Also have a hand crank grinder or mill too.

3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Then, we burnt all the cobs in the wood stove. I've only burnt two pieces of wood all morning. Pretty efficient, I suppose?

In an old timey, not efficient at all kinda way!

Thankyou , for bringing that state of the art  technology  to our breakfast table, this  cool spring morning .....reminds me of the old Cook's chaff cutter....:unsure:

..I imagine the kids loved the process....and the pigs will enjoy the tucker provided....:)

Mike

When the boys had 4H market steers

I used the old Letz burr mill my grandpa used to feed his hogs and cattle, to grind up the ear corn I got from a neighbor and fed it all

He ran it with a belt off his JD B but I put a 2 horse electric motor on it, worked real well, grind right into 5 gallon buckets

That being said it is cool you are teaching your children the way things used to be done and they are not glued to electronic devices!

I have a Root and Heath one we use to shell popcorn and shell a few ears of field corn to test moisture. Works good

I don’t think I’ve ever seen those smaller shellers you guys have pictured. I bought this 1 at an auction a few years ago. Just wanted it because it was in good shape and my Grandpa had 1 in the alley way of his corn crib that I played with as a kid. The rock door popped open on the combine last year and we left a trail of corn in the field for a little ways. We picked it up and my boy and I shelled it to feed to the calves. He wasn’t impressed.😁

IMG_4621.jpeg

• Like 1