Farmall H bolster thrust bearing

pstav

The steering bolster thrust bearing on my 1945 H is bad. The grooves is both races have deep dimples where the balls have rested. The ball cage assembly seems to be fine. Has this been a common problem?  I am asking because this bearing seems to be a little under- engineered considering the weight that it could be carrying (maybe a front loader?) There are thrust roller bearings out there that might carry more weight than the ball bearing. I would appreciate your opinion.  Thanks

On 11/24/2023 at 6:44 PM, nate said:

Well… my guess is it’s the first time it’s been changed.  75+years is a pretty good run!

I agree, bite the bullet and buy the original.

The new one will probably outlive us all?

On 11/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, pstav said:

(maybe a front loader?)

Nope. Front loaders were not a consideration when the tractor was designed, but they were over-engineered enough that they held up surprisingly well under a loader.

Tractor is 78 years old, and like others have said, that's almost certainly the original bearing. It's not like this is going to be an annual thing.