Axe Alert !!!! presenting the "'Chopper ""' Made in USA

mike newman

@MacAR...for your gratification   ...:)

Here is something I had never seen prior to two days gone ....I visited an   80 yr    old  ex- Logger.......delivered him a ute load of great burning NZ wood as he is no longer able to get that sort of wood himself ...due to declining     health.... We talked axe's  ...as one does when talking ''shop '' to an old logging contractor..  He showed me his competitive wood chopping  axe, with its very fine cheeks ..then produced this pictured ''splitting axe ''   

He used Clarke skidders in the early seventies....when we worked together, and he said the NZ Clarke   Agents     stocked a  few of these   axe's for a short time. That is the original handle....and it works a treat with those ''spreaders '' pushing out with huge force as the axe falls ...!!!

I could not find the ''axe thread ''  ..I don't recall seeing this type on that thread ....and...according to Google, these axe's are still made in New Jersey....so apologies if every second Red power  Forum reader owns   one of these axes !!

Mike

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I remember those being advertised but have never actually seen one. I figured I got enough exercise lifting the logs to the hydraulic splitter that I could retire my maul. Now I just turn up the thermostat or push the remote button on the gas fireplace.

• Like 1

Those chopper one's are a pretty neat ax, Mike. I've only ever seen them in pictures but at some point in my life I'll have one. Most of the people I've talked to say they're pretty easy to use, and lighter than a maul. Thanks for sharing!

Mac

I have seen them for sale, looked like a good way to complicate a simple tool, but have never used one. I would like to see pictures of the competition axe though, I spent a couple years on tour with the college woodsman’s team doing such competitions. 

Remember them being advertised on tv when cable first came to our town in about 1980-81. The commercial showed the pieces of the log flying apart and it looked so effortless! Had kind of a "Ronco" vibe to it.

• Haha 2

I have one to those chopper axes. It works really good some of the time other times not so much. I split almost all of my wood with a hydraulic splitter. I keep the chopper in the shed for the odd occasion when I split something by hand. A heavy axe or a maul would be my choice if I had to split all my wood with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Dad got one years ago. I never mastered it. Nothing works well in twisted Chinese Elm

.....dissapointing to read this post, Nick.....you live in a great country...so much wonderful innovation from America...and I pride myself with my American  trucks  tractors , Rifles  tools and et all........and then I read about your trucking and ranching endeavors.....  Yeah..I know you don't have a Mack....... nobody is perfect but...but...Nick  why oh why would you use Chinese firewood   ?????????,,:rolleyes:

...a question for the ages ....:unsure:

Mike  (shakes head ....)

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Mike

Interesting - I've never seen anything like that.

I doubt it would wean me from the "Drybollocks Jack" version though these days

Ian...I launched into some dry eucalyptus....with great gusto  (and the "'Chopper ..)...but you well know how bloody hard that certain  'blue gum ' gets ...when dry...thus , as my efforts faded away ,  the eucalyptus block  slowly gave up ...to my great relief  !!!

I think the  "" chopper ""  would weigh possibly 16 ozs    more than a regular  4 and a half pound axe...and my gripe would  be the handle.....Seems the wrong shape   to swing ...as compared with the traditional  American /Australian  /    Kiwi and Swedish   axe handle profile

(thus the term  ''different strokes  ''  was coined......I guess..:mellow:

Mike

/

56 minutes ago, mike newman said:

but you well know how bloody hard that certain  'blue gum ' gets ...when dry...thus , as my efforts faded away ,

We use River Red Gum for heating.  One day as I was cutting such a log out of a flood fence the rememberance occurred that they used to fire paddle steamers with that and the wonder of how it would go in a wood heater.  The answer was "Well".  It is mostly straight grain so easy splitting.  And good with chain saws as there is minimal dirt in it.

You do get the occasional curly grained ones.

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

.....dissapointing to read this post, Nick.....you live in a great country...so much wonderful innovation from America...and I pride myself with my American  trucks  tractors , Rifles  tools and et all........and then I read about your trucking and ranching endeavors.....  Yeah..I know you don't have a Mack....... nobody is perfect but...but...Nick  why oh why would you use Chinese firewood   ?????????,,:rolleyes:

...a question for the ages ....:unsure:

Mike  (shakes head ....)

Well Mike, the Chinese have never had anything worth while, but the Chinese Elm do thrive in an arid climate! Sadly I would rather burn them than Cottonwood which was about the only other option. We lost all the American Elm, or Red Elm as some call it, to what I always heard as Dutch Elm disease. That stuff burned extremely well and was easy to split. 
I have always wondered at my parents for burning wood. Dad lost his right hand shortly before we started burning wood as the only source of heat in a rather drafty Montgomery Wards house. 
I suppose having 3 boys age 10 and under may have had something to do with it. 
The 10 year old always acted like he was 30. Now he’s 60 and thinks he should be able to do what a 30 year old does.  Sadly that doesn’t work. 

• Haha 1

I have one of these, Mike.  Works good.

10 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

I own 1 of those, it was given to me by an old coworker.  1 spring is bad so 1 wedge wants to stay out,  it's worthless like that. It's just wall art to me now.

The site Rawleigh99 posted lists springs by them selves as well as a full kit with new pins. A new complete are is listed as 139.99. 

I've never seen such a thing. Wonder if there are any videos of one in action.

Woops looks like Rawleigh99 beat me to the punch.