Repowers

jeeper61

8 hours ago, lotsaIHCs said:

Is than an original Superior 500 steering wheel from the 60s/70s?

Maybe? Could also be a knock off. I got it at a swap meet. Was in an unmarked cardboard box that looked like it was used as a wheel chock at some point. $30. That is what spawned the whole interior to this point. Shop that did the seats was a nightmare though and we will not be using his services again. Now I'm looking for matching vinyl for the door panels and dash pad.

• Like 1

About 40 years ago, I was at a car show and a guy had swapped a 289 Ford into a 55 Chevy. Since everybody puts a SBC in Fords, he did a reverse swap..

45 minutes ago, acem said:

Silage in Montana?

And why is it yellow but says 'agricultural' on the side?

Gotta be a story there.

Snow and dirt moving. We don’t have much for silage in MT. Not uncommon to see blades on tractors around here.  Back filled a pipeline ditch with it one time.  It could push a full blade dirt at 1,000 rpms and lug down to nothing better then an 88 series.  It was just like driving an old cat from the 50s with the 3406.  I’ll admit I haven’t used it much since we got the motor grader.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nate said:

So a few questions.   This is a series3?

industrial?, but has agricultural on the decal?   3406B with an automatic?

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

Yes the true industrial Steigers were Series 3 PTAs with a few differences.  They had Eaton axles instead of RABA, Lexan glass, closed center 45 gpm hydraulic system, and arm rest controls with electric over hydraulic joysticks.  Cab controls was about 10 years ahead of its time. But ours have been converted over to manual lever/cable so apparently someone had issues.  Engine is a 3406A with air and so the tractor has air brakes. The story I got far as the decal is concerned is these tractors came out in the early 80s and Steiger had trouble selling them due to the economy and the influence of Cat so some had the “agricultural” label slapped on them.  Don’t know if that was done at the factory or dealership level. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sask466 said:

Did they put 6cyl Mack’s back in to replace the E9 V-8’s?   Probably E-6’s then?  Maybe early E7’s?  

I drove some E6 mechanical’s and a couple electronic ones from the early 90’s.  The Mack’s all seemed to have great torque - those turbos would spool at 1100rpm.  They felt like great big engines - I couldn’t believe it to find out they were in the 11 to 12 liter range.

Yes replaced the V8 with 6cyl. I don't know what size. Mechanic just said big 6.

12 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

Yes the true industrial Steigers were Series 3 PTAs with a few differences.  They had Eaton axles instead of RABA, Lexan glass, closed center 45 gpm hydraulic system, and arm rest controls with electric over hydraulic joysticks.  Cab controls was about 10 years ahead of its time. But ours have been converted over to manual lever/cable so apparently someone had issues.  Engine is a 3406A with air and so the tractor has air brakes. The story I got far as the decal is concerned is these tractors came out in the early 80s and Steiger had trouble selling them due to the economy and the influence of Cat so some had the “agricultural” label slapped on them.  Don’t know if that was done at the factory or dealership level. 

That’s an interesting rig.  

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 9:13 PM, Gearclash said:

Kind of a stretch to call this a re power but it is. This is engine #5 in the life of this particular kart.  It is a Yamaha 600 VMAX from a Yamaha Mountain Max snowmobile.  Supposed to be 95 hp at 8500 or 9000 rpm. 

Engine #1 was a Briggs 5hp flathead, governor bypassed.

#2 was a Briggs 8hp flat head vertical crank flipped on its side so it ran as a horizontal crank, complete with a drilled crank and oil pump for pressure oiling.

#3 was a 6.5 Briggs Intek, perfectly stock.

#4 was a Yamaha SRX440 out of a 1980 sled.  That engine was wild, but I never could get it to run right.  Finally broke the crank.  I think it had the same power as this 600.

7EAB3E5E-E1C4-41C1-9614-91804E3A2BBD.jpeg

CF1C3BA6-99EE-4118-BABA-3FCD0FDB83B2.jpeg

You could go to the next level

image.png.b7abfd3b1677aef91f709fc736b3be5e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2