Things are done a little differently nowadays

lotsaIHCs

Wonder how many new vehicles today don’t even have a dipstick to check the oil?  Just rely on sensors. Wife’s’21 Volvo doesn’t have a dipstick. Drives me nuts. Also has once a year oil change recommended which I don’t do. Every 7-8K miles regardless even if it’s synthetic 

I don't recall serrations on the mating faces but the bolts and nuts were prepped to accept safety wire, serrations would cause the same problem as cracking for resizing which rod bearings were readily available in OS so I would say they just had machined flat faces, been awhile and memories fade

On 11/26/2023 at 12:38 PM, smfarms said:

Wonder how many new vehicles today don’t even have a dipstick to check the oil?  Just rely on sensors. Wife’s’21 Volvo doesn’t have a dipstick. Drives me nuts. Also has once a year oil change recommended which I don’t do. Every 7-8K miles regardless even if it’s synthetic 

My kids both have BMWs with no dipstick and it drives me nuts too. Of course all new vehicles ask for oil changes when they want them. My wife's new car specifies first change at 7000 but I'll do it at half that. It used to be that her Yukon and my truck took the same filters and I've got a stock of them but for some reason her new car takes a different one although same external size.

Does my 2011 gmc 5.3 have them ? 
Any testing results to confirm strength improvement or just a cost reduction ?

52 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Does my 2011 gmc 5.3 have them ? 
Any testing results to confirm strength improvement or just a cost reduction ?

I can't say for sure but the 5.3 GM engines are being rebuilt in mass every day.

I would assume if they went to a fracture rod, there would be screaming from the mountain tops.

The boys at Hot Rod took a 5.3 and easily got it to 1,000 HP.

It took many pulls on the dyno before it blew up.

Afterwards, they got to looking and it was really a 4.8 instead of the 5.3.

Those engines are have a very tough bottom end.

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I can't say for sure but the 5.3 GM engines are being rebuilt in mass every day.

I would assume if they went to a fracture rod, there would be screaming from the mountain tops.

The boys at Hot Rod took a 5.3 and easily got it to 1,000 HP.

It took many pulls on the dyno before it blew up.

Afterwards, they got to looking and it was really a 4.8 instead of the 5.3.

Those engines are have a very tough bottom end.

Thanks good to know , thank you