Things are done a little differently nowadays

lotsaIHCs

The days of connecting rods being precision machined where the caps and rods meet are gone. Now the rods are broken off to make the cap to rod connection more rigid. No machining is done so all of the irregularities in the broken apart halves mesh and can't move around.  These rods happen to be from a 2011 model so the process has been around for a while.

20231122_103211.jpg

20231122_103258.jpg

20231122_103504.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Called fracture split, I think. They're scored to snap in the correct place and supposed to be stronger. OK then.

That's what they told us in training classes. And I guess we really have no problems with connecting rods in this engine family. The Theta II engine family is a whole other story with connecting rod bearing failures though! This one has scored cylinder walls and seized oil rings. Engine was replaced about 30k ago. They did have a problem with cylinder wall scoring on this engine family, particularly in cold climates. Supposedly due to out of spec oil rings. The oil rings and pistons look like they have never done an  oil change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-301066460puller said:

How about the 3.3L in my wife's Sedona? Junk? Lol

Good until you start having timing chains rattle after about 100k-150k. Some go for a lot longer and never have an issue. Keeping up on oil changes goes a long way on those engines. The older ones before they became GDI seemed to have fewer issues. The old v6 with the timing belt, but not the Mitsubishi 3.5, seemed to be about bulletproof. Mine has 284xxx and my wife's was 280k last I looked.

8 minutes ago, lotsaIHCs said:

Good until you start having timing chains rattle after about 100k-150k. Some go for a lot longer and never have an issue. Keeping up on oil changes goes a long way on those engines. The older ones before they became GDI seemed to have fewer issues. The old v6 with the timing belt, but not the Mitsubishi 3.5, seemed to be about bulletproof. Mine has 284xxx and my wife's was 280k last I looked.

'20 with 52k. Free oil changes so it gets done on the regular 

34 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

'20 with 52k. Free oil changes so it gets done on the regular 

You should be golden for a long time. I think most of the ones we've seen with the t-chain rattle for the first few seconds upon startup probably weren't very well maintained. That basic engine has been around since 2006 so it is a well proven design. It is also the same basis for the twin turbo Genesis engines.

• Like 1

Ford has been doing this since the early 90's with the 4.6 and 5.4.  To resize the rod, they bore out the housing for a thicker bearing.

Honestly this is a step up as it prevents cap movement and fretting due to the fractures holding the cap on better.    Gotta be VERY careful you don't install backwards or mismatched, if it's torqued down and not matched it will ruin the clean break and the rod is junk 

They can still be resized, just need sized out for a thicker bearing insert. 

• Like 1

“Free oil changes”….. let me see if I can find a picture of the used Kia that my neighbor bought this summer off of the local  Kia dealer, where another Kia dealer had supposedly been doing “free oil changes” for the last 50,000 miles for the original owner.
Neighbor took what we believe to be the -original- oil filter off of it, after pulling the dipstick at 52,000 miles and finding that there was almost no oil on the stick. The filter came off really hard and looked like it had been on there for 50,000 miles.  
He is in the middle of having an oil consumption study conducted now. As of yesterday the  dealer confirmed it has burned exactly 1 quart in the last 935 miles.  He needs to drive it another 1000, Then he believes they are going to be replacing the engine. Seems like it would’ve been easier to change the oil. 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

“Free oil changes”….. let me see if I can find a picture of the used Kia that my neighbor bought this summer off of the local  Kia dealer, where another Kia dealer had supposedly been doing “free oil changes” for the last 50,000 miles for the original owner.
Neighbor took what we believe to be the -original- oil filter off of it, after pulling the dipstick at 52,000 miles and finding that there was almost no oil on the stick. The filter came off really hard and looked like it had been on there for 50,000 miles.  
He is in the middle of having an oil consumption study conducted now. As of yesterday the  dealer confirmed it has burned exactly 1 quart in the last 935 miles.  He needs to drive it another 1000, Then he believes they are going to be replacing the engine. Seems like it would’ve been easier to change the oil. 

Subaru would say that’s normal, and his fault. 

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Oil consumption test is having the oil level checked and topped off 3 times over the course of around 3,000 miles. If the result is that it consumes more than a quart per 1,000 miles, there is a cleaning procedure where we inject a solvent into the cylinders, pressurize the cylinders with air to force the solvent into the oil control rings to free them up. Then additional solvent is injected, tubes installed between cylinders 1-3 and 2-4, the engine is cranked over to agitate the solvent by pushing it back and forth between the cylinder pairs and then letting the solvent sit in the cylinders for at least 8 hours. The remaining solvent is then suctioned out, the oil and filter are changed and the oil consumption test is performed again. If it passes this time, the vehicle is returned to the customer. If it again fails and it qualifies under the warranty, the engine is replaced. The cleaning procedure works about half the time.

My neighbor is not really that interested in his oil. I am actually surprised that he even checked the dipstick before going on a trip, but when he pulled it out and there was almost no oil on it, that’s when he started becoming more interested in oil.  It’s possible that he just completed the second thousand mile consumption interval, I know he told me he had to take it back one more time.  
It’s also mind boggling to me that such a “ring cleaning” procedure exist. Not surprising, just mind boggling 

2 hours ago, stronger800 said:

My neighbor is not really that interested in his oil. I am actually surprised that he even checked the dipstick before going on a trip, but when he pulled it out and there was almost no oil on it, that’s when he started becoming more interested in oil.  It’s possible that he just completed the second thousand mile consumption interval, I know he told me he had to take it back one more time.  
It’s also mind boggling to me that such a “ring cleaning” procedure exist. Not surprising, just mind boggling 

Tsb 21-EM-003H outlines the procedure. It is a royal PITA!