Jump to content

Tractor of the week.Week 47: 1586


nepoweshiekfarmalls

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 5488ih said:

86 series won’t ever be collectible. Too many of them. Unless it is has something unique about it. First or last serial number, a red power special. Or a rarely seen option. Boxcar magnums are the ones to be buying now. Especially if u can find a 7200 series mk50 model.

I respectfully disagree.  Many of these machines have been worn out and scrapped.   Most of them are rusted out in the doors and where the black stripe on the cab where it meets the fenders.  With the headaches of modern electronics,  the appreciation for these simple machines will rise.   Clean examples with be sought after.  At some point, pristine examples will be "collectable" on this basis alone.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both, much lower production numbers. Last of the line for ih. & inflation. Dollar bill is worth a lot less now than it was even a few years ago. I’ve had 2 5488s’. Nice tractors. Won’t have another one tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5488ih said:

Anything can be collected. Doesn’t mean it is collectible.

There are lots of tractors out there that are collectable and desirable without having low production numbers.  There was a time when lots of “common” tractors were deemed not collectable by guys like you and 40+ years later guys want them now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is a guy like me?
  Why are they desirable then? Because they became more rare as time went on & there are more of them in the salvage yards than left running? The scarcity of the model then still drives the collectibility.
  Everyone & their brother had a farmall M or H at one time. Still has value just aging out as a collectible. Unless it is a super M-ta. Or the gold demonstrators. They aren’t any better that a regular production model. But everyone wants one. A premium is paid because of the limited number.
  I collect a lot of things that have little or no value to no one other than myself. I’m the last one to pass judgement on what one deems valuable or collects.This has just been my opinion on the 86 series internationals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 5488ih said:

What is a guy like me?
  Why are they desirable then? Because they became more rare as time went on & there are more of them in the salvage yards than left running? The scarcity of the model then still drives the collectibility.
  Everyone & their brother had a farmall M or H at one time. Still has value just aging out as a collectible. Unless it is a super M-ta. Or the gold demonstrators. They aren’t any better that a regular production model. But everyone wants one. A premium is paid because of the limited number.
  I collect a lot of things that have little or no value to no one other than myself. I’m the last one to pass judgement on what one deems valuable or collects.This has just been my opinion on the 86 series internationals.

I tend to agree. I'm not saying there aren't people who collect them, they just aren't as collectible as the 06-66 series and now 88 series. From what I've seen they're gonna get run in the ground because they aren't shed queens they're being used. And by used I don't mean a few hours on the plow every fall, I mean used every single day. I've recently seen an uptick in value on the 15s. Whether that's gonna become the rule or just a short trend I don't know 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 5488ih said:

86 series won’t ever be collectible. Too many of them. Unless it is has something unique about it. First or last serial number, a red power special. Or a rarely seen option. Boxcar magnums are the ones to be buying now. Especially if u can find a 7200 series mk50 model.

66 series are collectible and there were more of them made than 86 series right? Never say never.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

What's the consensus on 88 series collectability? 7 years ago my dad bought a nice 5488 for $15,500 delivered and now I don't see any in comparable shape under $30,000. Is this collector value or just because everything went up

Yes.

Remember the farming economy went to pot in the early 1980's. Couldn't hardly sell new tractors, so they didn't hardly make new tractors. Low production numbers allows them to skip the "disposable power" phase which the 86 series is currently suffering through.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ChaseIH said:

Dads 1586. Was sold new from new lothrop and still has the IH branding iron stickers and red power circles on her. He replaced motor, TA, clutch and had to rebuild speed trans after her bought it. Been a great tractor for us and it’s my home in the spring pulling a 26 foot vibra shank. Another thing I always find funny is the debates on the cab. I am 6’5” and dad is 6’4” and we have plenty of room and comfortable on long days

IMG_1338.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

Where you located??  That's the dealership I worked at. I probably did the pre delivery service on it when we sold it. 😀

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Collectable is determined by want (demand). Price is a relationship between supply and demand.

Letter series tractors are very collectible however the large supply hurts prices.

Not that many people collect V8 muscle tractors but the remaining supply is small which drives prices up.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

Where you located??  That's the dealership I worked at. I probably did the pre delivery service on it when we sold it. 😀

We’re up in hemlock. If you are the mr. Fred I think you are we actually used to work at the same place before you retired haha 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What were the largest tires you could get on a 1586?  Any 20.8X42’s from factory?  I ask as gafarm49’s tractor seems to have big looking tires on it.  I like it.

In our area (SE Sask) most had 20.8 x38’s, and unless you put ballast in the tires, those 86’s spun a lot.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2023 at 8:14 PM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

 I fondly remember disking 480 acres (twice) one Memorial Day weekend in a 1586 pulling our White 256 disk.  A special that played every one of George Strait's #1 hits was on the radio during my marathon session in the field.

Sounds like the perfect environment for me…..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found one! Only 1586 picture on my computer or phone. Owned by the guy I bought my combine from.

Edit; As you can see, it is not MFWD.

Thoughts on collect-ability. My feeling is it ended with the 'open-station' era. That would be the 66 series for our Red tractors. Yes there are some open station 86's but very low percentage. 20 series for the ugly green, 6030's are collectable but to me anyway, they are a 20 series tractor. Allis, collect-ability ends with the hundred series. You see some 7000, (and 8000) series at shows but not many. Ollie's are pretty much all collectable right up until they became White's. So somewhere in the 70's, depending on brand, when cabs got really mainstream, is when it ended. You just don't see many tractors at shows that have been meticulously restored with cabs on them.

 

1586.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are pictures of our 1586. We bought this one as it sat for 800 dollars in first picture we paid 1600 for the 1086 in that pic. This is the 1586 now. The previous owner farmed and scrapped out only IH tractors and resold the better ones. He used this 1586 but it needs a reverse gear ( clunks from park) and all the time I knew him the clutch slipped. We started both tractors up and drove them home. They had sat for 10 to 20 years and the his estate sold them at an auction to settle everything.  The 1586 needs a cab top also but runs really well. Next year it is going to get a cosmetic shape up. My dad had a early 1586 brand new when I was young so this one will probably stay for a while.

D3162AA2-DA84-410A-8877-A04331AE98A1.jpeg

A504F490-8163-4CEC-A3A6-468551284195.jpeg

D9598B28-77C5-4460-B644-CC5A9EC48088.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Thoughts on collect-ability. My feeling is it ended with the 'open-station' era. That would be the 66 series for our Red tractors. Yes there are some open station 86's but very low percentage. 20 series for the ugly green, 6030's are collectable but to me anyway, they are a 20 series tractor. Allis, collect-ability ends with the hundred series. You see some 7000, (and 8000) series at shows but not many. Ollie's are pretty much all collectable right up until they became White's. So somewhere in the 70's, depending on brand, when cabs got really mainstream, is when it ended. You just don't see many tractors at shows that have been meticulously restored with cabs on them.

I think you are pretty close. I don’t see many restored cabs on things at shows. Depends a little on location. Around here, the 66s didn’t have cabs and all the 86s did basically because they were a much more factory option by that point. I don’t see as many JD from the era of cabs either. The Oliver, MM and MF are much the same unless they have a more unique set of options like a V8, high clear, or MFWD.
 

All of that goes out the window if it is a family machine or something like that. Much the way the 1086 Grandpa bought new is for me. It is one of one to me because it is still here and he bought it new, not because a 1086 is at all rare or special in the line of IH tractors. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a large part of the reason you don’t see a lot of cab tractors restored is because the number of people who can store one is much smaller. Even a 1066 open station can be stored in a pretty low garage with the exhaust pipe removed. The cost to do an immaculate cosmetic and mechanical restoration on something like a totally pooched 5488 would be very prohibitive. Restoring a smaller, older tractor is a lot cheaper and just something that a lot more people can afford. Larger tractors being restored is a lot more likely to be done by a successful farmer in my experience. And there are just not that many farmers in general anymore. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a good amount of 86 series tractors in my area but I don’t know how many are 1586’s. I did see this one a couple years ago. 
FD3E8F9F-2E6D-4C67-8F0C-D26F3FFBA2B7.thumb.jpeg.a5be9445ae825c0c4a58656248526e58.jpeg
 

Then I’ve got one of my own. 😀

8B8CB96B-9FE5-420A-83C9-D1DFD75EB9D6.thumb.jpeg.e4a772363cc217691f6f8914e0a3d4aa.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heres that sharp looking one they had pictured for advertisements 

36bd8e8d26ebd0e4b9cca9bac120e2e9.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...