Tractor of the week.Week 47: 1586

nepoweshiekfarmalls

The largest of the 86 series row crop tractors, the 1586 featured a 3 speed transmission with optional TA and inboard planetaries. This robust workhorse was the "big dog" on many farms.  Discovered as cheap horsepower,  these machines are still popular on farms throughout America. 

I fondly remember disking 480 acres (twice) one Memorial Day weekend in a 1586 pulling our White 256 disk.  A special that played every one of George Strait's #1 hits was on the radio during my marathon session in the field.  The local IH dealer had just installed a new clutch in Dad's 856 Custom and installed the wrong pto gear and they did not have the correct one in stock.  So, Dad's tractor sat split in two that weekend.   We were running late to plant crops that year and I needed to be turning dirt that weekend.  So, Dad negotiated the loan of a tractor to make up for their mistake.   They even delivered the mighty 1586 to the farm!  That weekend made me determined to own an 86 series someday.  A dream I realized with the purchase of my 1486 many years ago.  😁

Let's see your 1586 machines and hear their stories!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 5488ih said:

Inboard planetary

This is what made them much better than the smaller tractors . The bull pinion was not as efficient or rugged 

Dads 1586. Was sold new from new lothrop and still has the IH branding iron stickers and red power circles on her. He replaced motor, TA, clutch and had to rebuild speed trans after her bought it. Been a great tractor for us and it’s my home in the spring pulling a 26 foot vibra shank. Another thing I always find funny is the debates on the cab. I am 6’5” and dad is 6’4” and we have plenty of room and comfortable on long days

IMG_1338.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, 5488ih said:

Modified brackets to hang the suitcase weights instead of the “flamecut” weights.

There's a literature picture of a 735 plow pulled by an AWD 1486 with a full set of suitcase weights and a bracket just like the one on your 1586 holding those small weights. Those weights are the same ones often bolted on 4100-4156-4166-4186 tractors using a similar bracket below the front frame headlights. It seems like I've seen an even rarer picture of the same weights mounted on the rear of those 4wd's with no three point hitch.

6 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

There's a literature picture of a 735 plow pulled by an AWD 1486 with a full set of suitcase weights and a bracket just like the one on your 1586 holding those small weights. Those weights are the same ones often bolted on 4100-4156-4166-4186 tractors using a similar bracket below the front frame headlights. It seems like I've seen an even rarer picture of the same weights mounted on the rear of those 4wd's with no three point hitch.

They are also used on IH industrial equipment. There is a 3414 IH backhoe that has been parked near me for decades that has a row of those weights on the front. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

They are also used on IH industrial equipment. There is a 3414 IH backhoe that has been parked near me for decades that has a row of those weights on the front. 

If that's the original IH bracket on the 1586 you'd be hard pressed to find another. It would've been in the same vintage as those nondescript slab weights with split carry handles IH had on the mid to late 86 Series. The 50 Series AWD's with factory suitcase weights were somewhat similar but had full carry handles. I'll have to go dig up that picture with the 1486 and see which suitcase weights were installed for the Hickory Hill photo shoot.

13 hours ago, acem said:

Many 1586s were sold new in eastern Arkansas and used heavily. Most were equipped with 20.8-38 rice and canes duals, TA delete, cab and air. I'm not aware of any being sold new locally but many came in used. 

Our first one we got it in 1996 and it was equipped that way. TA delete, rice and cane 20.8 inner Firestone and a set of bald cracked up tube showing duals . It served us well for lots of hours 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drysleeves said:

We found those weights and bracket at a sale and put those on and then run a full rack of suitcase weights when we plow with our 720 5/18s on land. We used to have a full rack of suitcase weights and 2 sets of W6 weights chained down on top of the suitcase weights to keep front end down till we found those weights and bracket. We leave the lower weights on year round to help with turning with the field culivator. I just bought another bracket and full set of weights from a tractor pull buddy that didn’t like handling those “odd shaped weights”. Gladly gave him his full asking price of 200 bucks

86 series won’t ever be collectible. Too many of them. Unless it is has something unique about it. First or last serial number, a red power special. Or a rarely seen option. Boxcar magnums are the ones to be buying now. Especially if u can find a 7200 series mk50 model.

27 minutes ago, 5488ih said:

86 series won’t ever be collectible. Too many of them. Unless it is has something unique about it. First or last serial number, a red power special. Or a rarely seen option. Boxcar magnums are the ones to be buying now. Especially if u can find a 7200 series mk50 model.

I see an awful lot of 86 series on small medium sized dairies in SE MN

Anything is collectable. Different types like different ones. I personally like a 1586 with 20.8 duals or probably even 30.5 singles. I'm not one that likes a small tractor 

• Like 1

I like big tractors also. Anything can be collected. Doesn’t mean it is collectible. Production numbers are too high to be of collectible value. Low production models or variants like a high crop, a factory equipped MFWD, a hydro MFWD.  Or if it is a family tractor with a personal connection.