Old newspaper clippings

vtfireman85

I got a kick out of these, they were in my aunt’s baby book. The names and addresses of those checking in and out of the hospital. The who visited who last weekend, all in the newspaper. People talk about the privacy from days ago but golly, doesn’t seem real private 😂

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

• Like 2

This is taken from my grandmother’s family get together at Hapgood Pond, the kids are all around my grandfather, which was typical. Not sure who the baby is in the photo, my dad would have not quite been 4 and my aunt would have been 5.

IMG_2945.jpeg

• Like 2

Back then, people cared about other people but that came with a lot of gossip.

Between the daily papers and the party line phones, not much got by anyone.

People seem to be happier today tearing a person apart rather than being compassionate and helping.

However, our big city TV station has turned into a constant "Beg-A-Thon".

Everyday they want coats, are doing a run, collecting money for some group.

I guess real news has just gone away?

12 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

However, our big city TV station has turned into a constant "Beg-A-Thon"

I always do the kids clothing drive. The local stores have little ornaments that will say something like “girl, 10 years old, socks, size medium” or whatever, so you have something to aim for. I leave the one that says “Boy, 9 years old, pants, size 46” he needs to go on a diet before i buy him anything. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I always do the kids clothing drive. The local stores have little ornaments that will say something like “girl, 10 years old, socks, size medium” or whatever, so you have something to aim for. I leave the one that says “Boy, 9 years old, pants, size 46” he needs to go on a diet before i buy him anything. 

Just buy him 44” so he has something to aim for!!

• Haha 3

Books are still being written about family trees. I discovered me and my siblings are currently in a book written AND hardbacked PUBLISHED  in the mid 70's my some what I believe is a distant relative. Our claim to fame is that  the we were in the South Eastern US since before the Civil War. My Gut Feeling is the book was published for a must be published author Masters Degree for some educator. 

I see an ad for hi ho crackers by sunshine biscuit company.

Dad  bought a loadstar sunshine biscuit company traded in. The line setting ticket says special paint sunshine yellow. The grill is even yellow. It's rare to see one without a silver grill. Only other color is black on running boards and along the bottom of the body and bumper.

I still have it. I'll get a pic.

I'm sure sunshine biscuit company is long gone.

Speaking of Sunshine Bakery, my tool van, a 26' Utilimaster on a Gmc P6000 chassis was a former Sunshine truck. 

Before I buffed and polished the van 'ghost letters'  could be seen on the sides.

One side reads "I Love Hydrox".

The other side reads "I Love Cheez-Its."

Of course, it is Sunshine Yellow.

• Like 2