Chore gloves

TroyDairy

Anyone find some proper fitting and warm chore gloves?  Like the old wells Lamont cotton ones used to be.  If dry and cool (few times a winter) its handy since they can be stuffed in a pocket and still be warm enough at 30.  But easy-to-use when removing for something little more detail.  Dont care for leather since just dont have dexterity. 

Wells are junk now.  Like 2/3 size, fingers are weird and just last maybe a month and stitching blows out.  Thanks

If it's dry, I use the 88 cent brown jersey ones from the local hardware store. They keep my hands warm, especially the one missing a finger, and are cheap to replace if they get greasy/dirty/torn up. 

Mac

• Like 3

I agree I use to be a firm user of wells and they're just not the same.

Out of high school I drilled wells. Guys wore latex gloves under their winter work gloves. The tighter latex gloves kept your hands warm/sweaty and not soaked from when the thicker winter gloves got drenched pulling out pipe. If you needed nimble fingers for something your hands still had some protection/warmth removing the thicker gloves.

I’ve been using these for lighter stuff for a few years, the orange part is foamish and stretchy and the split leather palms are not bulky. Dexterity is good, visibility is good and cost isn’t awful. 
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/personal-protective-equipment/classic-work-glove/

IMG_2944.png

• Like 2

I've been using these Harbor Freight pigskins for the last few years.  Not as warm as you want, but comfortable and cheap!

https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/gloves/pigskin-leather-work-gloves-large-64172.html

I have some waterproof rubber insulted warm ones in one of my trucks that I like but I cannot remember the name of them right now.  I will try to look tonight.

51 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Troy- China man have short fingers….

I was ordering a Wells Lamont knock off, the ones with the red bead drawstring. They were pretty good, and half price.  Every now and then I would get one that had a defect, like one thumb 2x longer than the other. 

2 hours ago, axial_al said:

I like cotton gloves named green ape.  Heavier than yellow fuzzies and last longer too.  I don’t remember where I got the last dozen…ordered on line somewhere.  

Dad always likes those for chore gloves. I wear a leather/Kevlar Mechanix brand glove most of the time for chores. Leather, open cuff for forge work and at work which requires gloves a lot. 

11 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

open cuff for forge work and at work which requires gloves a lot. 

I like the open cuff for things like wood splitting, easy out. 

• Like 2

If you find something you like, you better buy all that you find!! I still have several dozen “roping” gloves. Got started wearing them when Plain Jan’s was doing lots of advertising with them. 

• Like 1

We get the black jersey kind with the dots on them. Red insulated lining or you can get them insulated. They seem to last awhile too

36 minutes ago, Bgriffin856 said:

We get the black jersey kind with the dots on them. Red insulated lining or you can get them insulated. They seem to last awhile too

Cheap and good dexterity. 

I use the cheap farm store wells look alike cotton gloves. Buy a 10 pack or some such for not much. A pack will last me 1 or 2 winters. Some of the stitches blow out but I figure I'm not out much and if they are not blown out too bad will wear them till it gets too cold or I get tired of it.

I remember the Green Giants... have a pair yet.

I have had decent luck with Galeton [galetron] gloves.  Little $$ but their Max ones last 3 4 season in the cold cold.  The chore yellows were better than modern wells but wondering if better out there

8 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

I agree I use to be a firm user of wells and they're just not the same.

Out of high school I drilled wells. Guys wore latex gloves under their winter work gloves. The tighter latex gloves kept your hands warm/sweaty and not soaked from when the thicker winter gloves got drenched pulling out pipe. If you needed nimble fingers for something your hands still had some protection/warmth removing the thicker gloves.

We do that too.  MAX insulated mechanic style from Galetron.  And 1 or 2 nitrile milker gloves.  That sure makes a different esp with our wind here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

jersey gloves under a pair of leathers

This is what I do when it gets really cold. Usually try and get the thinner deerhide leathers, then the same 88 cent jerseys inside. Not the best when it comes to dexterity, but how much movement do you really need to run a tractor or cut hay strings? The only downside to the thinner gloves is barbed wire eats them up quickly. 

As an aside, when I lost my finger I had a bunch of gloves that had one too many fingers. I didn't think much of it at first but after that empty finger nearly got hung up a couple times, I had the local cobbler cut them down for me. Mrs. Mac cuts the jerseys down for me, guess you might say I have all my gloves custom made!

Mac

I've gotten along really well with the Milwaukee nitrile dipped red gloves for above freezing and the winter version for below.  They work pretty well down to single digits provided the wind isn't howling.  Dexterity is on par with the other gloves in that class.  Only drawback is they are tight enough your hands sweat in the insulated version the closer you get to the freezing mark. DeWalt had some safety green mechanic style gloves that were good but we can't get them locally.