Build garage foundation block foaming

Any opinions on foaming block cavity?  The floor will be heated with 2" of foam.  Location in SE Michigan.  I also am planning putting foam board beveled 1-2" below the top of the floor along the block to aid in helping hold the slab heat.

I bought a foam kit for just under $300.  If nothing else I feel it will be tighter from insects.  I will cut off the excess just before we set the walls which should be in a couple of weeks.

Before:20230929_170825.thumb.jpg.01cbe392fa2574ab674982e87199538c.jpg

after 20231119_163412.thumb.jpg.875af561bcbd8d0d3f3d1dc3ce9ec541.jpg20231119_163334.thumb.jpg.cb008fcc56a5d3883e25432cef955226.jpg

I'm not familiar with that type of footing/foundation and block set up.  Is that common where you are?

Would never be done like that in my area.  Here it has been slabs with bell footings for probably the past 20 years.  

I would have probably poured the block full on concrete, but foam is way better than having the cavities empty.

• Like 1

My vote is also for concrete.... but.... I haven't seen foam used like that before. Though I have seen some people fill the blocks with the yellow foam well after the garage is up.

Mike

3 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I'm not familiar with that type of footing/foundation and block set up.  Is that common where you are?

Would never be done like that in my area.  Here it has been slabs with bell footings for probably the past 20 years.  

I would have probably poured the block full on concrete, but foam is way better than having the cavities empty.

There is a 14x54" cement footing under the block.  This is common from what I know.  Block is not to common any more for basements, they are all poured these days.

R rating on block was either .5 or 1.  The foam is 6.5 so there is that.

Scott

3 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

remove the foam and replace with sand or concrete

Yeah, sand is a no due to ants.  They would find it and have a field day!

51 minutes ago, 460 said:

There is a 14x54" cement footing under the block.  This is common from what I know.  Block is not to common any more for basements, they are all poured these days.

R rating on block was either .5 or 1.  The foam is 6.5 so there is that.

Scott

I see the cement footing under the block. I've never seen that before for a garage and  I just don't see any advantage to doing that for a garage vs a bell footing unless you aren't pouring a slab at all.  Then I could see why you would do that type of footing.

Well it will be a while before we pour the floor.

10 hours ago, acem said:

I don't think the foam insulation will help as much as you think. Concrete will transfer heat through the block, around the foam.

They used to sell foam to put inside blocks but I haven't seen any in decades.

I agree, we didn't insulated the block, but we did offset the stud walls inside enough to allow for 1/2 of foam board on the inside of the block before we covered everything on the inside with smart panel. You would never know it's there and I never have a cold floor or wall. 

10 hours ago, 460 said:

Well it will be a while before we pour the floor.

I think you did a good thing. Anything to fill the voids in block to keep vermin out. They used to try and fill block walls with styrofoam pellets up here in the years before. Don’t know if it worked or not.

• Like 1

Have a buddy that put 2 or 3 courses of blocks down before building his garage. His reason was to get some more height while still using standard length stud material. Him and a another buddy of his were pretty good at laying block so he used his own labor. I don't know what if anything they filled the block with. Probably cement if anything.

Put that "shaving cream" stuff in about 15 courses of 10 inch blocks for the walls of my 24 x 130 ft farrowing/nursery barn in 1991. Works well. Interior & exterior complete. Hot water heat in floor zoned for babies only, not mama for warm floor for piglets and cool for sow

I would fill at least 2 courses with concrete first, used to be common place to fill block with vermiculite, if ants and sand are a concern, foam will be equally bad, they love it. Another thing is that the foam will eventually waterlog, it might just freeze and split the block, in any event it will render 0 insulation value wet. 
how deep is your footing? 

Scott, does the footing extend the full perimeter? If not, that is where I would see issues. We would lay a base coarse like that. Quite common, but the footing is always continuous. Otherwise nothing is holding the "tail" of that wall from tipping or pushing out. The second picture looks like it extends beyond but I don't see it wrap the corner in the third pic.

We would fill the walls with foam sometimes but the bottom few were always concrete. Some underground foundations were concrete filled top to bottom. Those crete filled ones would usually get vertical rebar as well.

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would fill at least 2 courses with concrete first, used to be common place to fill block with vermiculite, if ants and sand are a concern, foam will be equally bad, they love it. Another thing is that the foam will eventually waterlog, it might just freeze and split the block, in any event it will render 0 insulation value wet. 
how deep is your footing? 

Seems like something was in mine to deter vermin & insects, but that was 32 yrs ago so would have to be inefective today

Yes footing is the full perimeter.  That is doorway and sand has settled over the footing from the rains and driving over.

• Like 1