Boys playing in barns.

Mudfly

Had the boys and one of their friends out with me today while I was cleaning stalls.  It never ceases to amaze me how little boys like playing in/on and around hay and straw bales.  Took me about an hour and a half to get all the stalls cleaned up and a few other things.  Yelled for the boys that it was time to go, and they were all surprised that the time passed so quickly. 

I remember being the same at that age.  Always enjoyed playing in the barn in the hay loft.  Always had half a barn full of small squares to play in.  What do young kids play on now days?  I guess round bales can be fun to play on also, but not really as easy to make forts with.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Had the boys and one of their friends out with me today while I was cleaning stalls.  It never ceases to amaze me how little boys like playing in/on and around hay and straw bales.  Took me about an hour and a half to get all the stalls cleaned up and a few other things.  Yelled for the boys that it was time to go, and they were all surprised that the time passed so quickly. 

I remember being the same at that age.  Always enjoyed playing in the barn in the hay loft.  Always had half a barn full of small squares to play in.  What do young kids play on now days?  I guess round bales can be fun to play on also, but not really as easy to make forts with.

I remember being very very young being sat on some small square bales with some ertl tractors and dozen farm cats during morning and evening milking.

Our place is the place for family gatherings, the kids have plenty of room to run, the barn to explore in or garden tractors to run.

• Like 4

Out here 99.9% of our hay is stored outside so we had just hay stacks to play around with.  My best childhood memory was playing with cement.  One year we put up a 60' by 100' quonset and instead of having the cement trucked out from town, the owner brought out his batching plant because his trucks only held 5 yards and he only had two of them.  So dad and my uncle spent the summer gathering up the sand, gravel, and cement and then one day in the fall we poured it with the help of about 10 neighbors.  Anyways there was a sack or 2 of concrete left along with the other material and I got into it and started making all sorts of stuff, even little dams and forts.  

Spent A LOT of time with friends and my sisters playing in the hay loft making massive forts and lots of tunnels with the straw bales.  What a blast!  When the barn was full we'd  make two forts on either side of the barn and play "war" or capture the flag type of game.  One of us ended up shimying up an 8x8 beam and tying a rope to one of the angle beams way up high.  Then we could swing on the rope from one beam to the next or flip off into a pile of loose straw.  Man good times, thanks for bringing up this subject!   

The neighbor had a stacker, so in the fall he'd make corn stalk stacks and lined several rows of them up on the north side of our property.  That made an awesome maze of passages to play hide and seek in, especially at night!  

• Like 2

When I was real little it was loose hay. Jumping from one loft to the lower one was a blast. Sneezing from the dust with red eyes after. Small squares later could arrange as a fort.

We had a loose chopped straw pile in the threshing floor of our barn. I used to climb to the top and slide down. Man, I had so many pickers in my socks. After Dad remodeled the barn the threshing floor went away but we had three concrete isles 110 ft long. Pedal cars, pedal tractors, and bikes made a lot of laps through there.

13 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Good memories of that shooting starlings n sparrows with bb guns on rainy days 

Lots of tunnels and general climbing, especially in grass hay.  We didn't have much straw around.

Clover hay was the worst, but it usually got put up in small rounds (AC Roto Baler) so didn't often make it to the loft.

Dad never owned a baler - never had enough cattle at one time to justify one.

6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Good memories of that shooting starlings n sparrows with bb guns on rainy days 

Oh man.  I dropped a buttload of sparrows with my Daisy 1894.  I could often watch it travel.  Bounced one off a high beam in a barn, and watched it come right back at me and hit the bridge of my glasses, Christmas Story style.  Thankfully no damage to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mxmagnum said:

Spent A LOT of time with friends and my sisters playing in the hay loft making massive forts and lots of tunnels with the straw bales.  What a blast!  When the barn was full we'd  make two forts on either side of the barn and play "war" or capture the flag type of game.  One of us ended up shimying up an 8x8 beam and tying a rope to one of the angle beams way up high.  Then we could swing on the rope from one beam to the next or flip off into a pile of loose straw.  Man good times, thanks for bringing up this subject!   

The neighbor had a stacker, so in the fall he'd make corn stalk stacks and lined several rows of them up on the north side of our property.  That made an awesome maze of passages to play hide and seek in, especially at night!  

At night it wasn't hidden & seek it was ghosts in the graveyard lol

Barn full of hay was our winter playground, forts,corn fights with ear corn,hiding and throwing snowballs at passing cars( just to note when I am bombed by snowballs now I don't get mad,pay back is a b...h)

Lotta good memories, barn work,cows,hogs kids,friends, cold fall and winter days were never boring or dreaded 

All fun times.  I don’t know what kids play on outside these days… well besides my kids, but I guess not everyone can do fun stuff in barns since there aren’t that many around any more and probably even fewer farmers putting up small squares.

I guess I will do my part to keep up that tradition.

12 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I don’t know what kids play on outside these days… well besides my kids

One of my wife's friends was over one day when our kids were little. Horrified, she ran into the house saying "do you know your kids are way up in a tree?" My wife, calmly, asked "does that bother you?" "YES! " Then don't look" Her friend's kids who were just a year or so younger than ours were not allowed to get dirty. They were hovered over like they were some fragile things. Yes, our daughter got a broken collar bone and son got stitches, both  got plenty of cuts and bruises and went on to play sports in school for more. Kids gotta be kids!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Oh man.  I dropped a buttload of sparrows with my Daisy 1894.  I could often watch it travel.  Bounced one off a high beam in a barn, and watched it come right back at me and hit the bridge of my glasses, Christmas Story style.  Thankfully no damage to me.

I had a daisy 1894 with a wooden stock when i was a kid,many a starling and sparrow fell from it's accuracy,when my oldest was four or five i sent it back to have the spring replaced. Daisy in turn sent me a brand new plastic stocked POS that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

• Sad 2

Everything on the farm was a fort, pill box, hiding place......hours on end everywhere we could climb.

BB guns......Daisy 840......shot it completely out.  Replaced with 880.....and proceeded to shoot it out too.  840 would let you watch the BB and "walk it in" to a distant target.   880 was too fast for that. 

Would sit on tin barn roof, dump about 15 BB's in the barrel,  shoot them straight up and then wait for them to rain on us.

Simple fun days......